Thread: Komodo RF mount weight restrictions?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Komodo RF mount weight restrictions? 
    So I'm wondering if there is any official word from RED on the restrictions of how much weight the RF mount can support before it's deemed necessary to use some additional lens support.

I know it's nice to air on the side of safe than sorry, but I'm still curious what this is designed to handle, considering doing some stripped down work with larger lenses.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, Canon FD SSC (K35) Primes, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

I've had a good hunt online and I don't think Canon has published an official spec for RF Mount. It won't be just one weight as it will need to take into account weight + lens length. Generally from my experience I'd say up to 4lbs no problem, probably closer to 6 or 8lbs lbs.

But it's my strong, strong recommendation if you are using heavier PL Lenses to utilize the lens adapter's included support foot and bolt it into your baseplate solution. Serves two purposes, one not to overly burden your mount, two to provide secure rigidity to the PL mount itself. RF is still an ultra thin mount without a locking collar. Good for RF or adapted RF>EF or whatever, but PL is still PL. I think even Canon has a locking RF>EF adapter incoming to handle that one aspect.

I've seen 5lb Zeiss Supremes on there without a foot by one of my buddies, but still would recommend the above.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Kippertie's Adapta RF/PL has a neat design. It can be connected to the side ribs via a "chinstrap" that runs across the bottom front of the camera. Also looks like you can connect the chinstrap to the top of the adapter, which is obviously much better. In fact, I don't think supporting the bottom of an adapter will help very much if you are not supporting both the lens and the camera. I hope they make an RF/EF version.

https://www.kippertie.com/kt/product...o-accessories/

Yeah at the moment I’m looking to put regular weight PL lenses in the 3lb range. But will soon be loading up Red Pro Primes on it.... that’s gonna be 6.5lbs for the 18mm

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hofmeyr View Post
    Kippertie's Adapta RF/PL has a neat design. It can be connected to the side ribs via a "chinstrap" that runs across the bottom front of the camera. Also looks like you can connect the chinstrap to the top of the adapter, which is obviously much better. In fact, I don't think supporting the bottom of an adapter will help very much if you are not supporting both the lens and the camera. I hope they make an RF/EF version.

https://www.kippertie.com/kt/product...o-accessories/
    I said the same thing a little while back, and the response was that they are. But I don't believe a timeframe was given.

Most people would probably mount the lighter thing (with or without support) onto the heavier (which then carries the lighter stuff),
    when there's a significant difference in weight between the camera+batt and lens. ?!

my guess is, by canons design, whatever the heaviest canon camera body would weigh, would be the safe weight. Most of the time when using a telephoto lens, the lens is mounted to the tripod and the camera body just hangs off the lens. So if a fully loaded RF canon body with battery grip, flash, gps adapter, and cage is on a camera body, thats most likely close to whatever the weight design for the mount is, plus a little more for safety.

I'm guessing 5lbs. The thing thats interesting is RED has this mount attached but I dont see how, there are no screws?
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, Canon FD SSC (K35) Primes, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Good guess, but as Phil mentioned before, it's also a matter of how far off the center of gravity is from the lens mount. The longer the lens, the bigger the risk of damaging the mount. Despite the "relatively short" length of your RED Pro Prime 18mill, I'd use support rods with it. Except you have a custom built lens collar with carrying handle, so that you can have a stripped down Komodo hanging off the lens. Otherwise your rig will be quite front heavy, which isn't comfortable to carry at all, IMO. Support rods don't add a noticeable amount of weight, regarding your lens choice.

This is a good example of what I find uncomfortable to carry around.
    Last edited by Thomas B.; 08-11-2020 at 01:06 PM.