Thread: polar pro basecamp experience

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 polar pro basecamp experience 
    Has anyone had any experience with polar pro's basecamp matte box system and its ND filters? How do they compare with nd filters like Formatt Hitech Firecrest or schneider rhodium?

I got mine in the mail yesterday! First impressions are good however I have not "used" it yet. Nor do I have anything to compare it to.... if you buy it from their site it comes with the 6-9 filter aswell.

Please do let us know your impression of the quality.
    It seems like a steal compared to the competition!
    I'd only worry about the proprietary filter tray system that might not work with diffusion filters and the like. Maybe there's a clever work around...

They are coming out with their own diffusion filters. And one can be used in combo with their own non-variable NDs. The Variable ND they offer gets its variability from the polarizer in front. So if you put a diffuser where the polarizer goes, then you can't use the Variable ND. Their single NDs are $100 more than the equivalent 4x4 Tokina.

Has there been any true scientific tests showing if their glass affects color?

I just bought one from their website too. It seems like they only have good reviews. I’m looking for an option for at least a 10 stop ND filter. Unfortunately it doesn’t look like they offer it

It’s good quality however the tightening rod has become bent somehow. It still works and that’s the only drawback, I would suggest you also grab the lws adapter.
    Scarlet-W 9706
    Alexa Mini