Thread: In-camera batteries

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 In-camera batteries 
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    So this has been an issue for a while with earlier DSMC1 and 2 and its the internal battery of the camera draining to zero and causing a loss in settings information and risk of total depletion with a need to send in the camera to change the internal battery for a pretty high cost.

What is the status on the internal batteries used in Komodo? Will they be easily replaceable or is there a better solution to all of this already implemented? It feels like it's a waste if there hasn't been any improvements on this over previous cameras.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

It looks like theres a little compartment door on the bottom of the camera, I wonder if thats to access it

Quote Originally Posted by Joesef o. View Post
    It looks like theres a little compartment door on the bottom of the camera, I wonder if thats to access it
    No, that's, by my understanding, the connector for the bottom plate options.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

I've asked this question a couple times - but have never seen a response.

At this point I'm pretty adept at changing the internal batteries on my DSCMC1 cameras... But it sure would be nice to not have to do this moving forward.
    C.S.C. Associate Member
    If I don't own it I rent it...

I think they moved to a rechargeable internal on the current crop of DSMC2 and weapons upgraded to the newer internals (Helium/ Monstro)?
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    I think they moved to a rechargeable internal on the current crop of DSMC2 and weapons upgraded to the newer internals (Helium/ Monstro)?
    What are the new internals? So far I've only heard that all Red cameras have these bad internal batteries that require you to keep your camera running over the course of time, otherwise you risk the life of the battery.

The question is what's used in Komodo and if it's gonna be the same thing all over? The internal battery thing has been such a headache for so many people that some solution needs to be made. At least let the internal battery not drain when the camera is off, just like any electronic gear that need storage for settings etc. I'm not sure why Red cameras even drain power from them when they are completely off and there have never been any real answers to these questions.
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Just like the CMOS battery in a PC. It maintains the internal clock and base settings for the camera. I'm pretty sure that current models, and presumably Komodo, are using a rechargeable battery. So it tops itself off when the camera has power. Yes, I know we're asking about Komodo here and it would be nice to know the answer.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

How does the built in battery charge? Never had instructions of about any built in batterys.
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Arvidsson View Post
    How does the built in battery charge? Never had instructions of about any built in batterys.
    If it works like the Canon C300 that had that type of system, it's all automatic when power is applied to the camera. No user intervention/real thought required and it would keep its charge for several months at a time(when fully charged) with no external power.

I jave not used one of my cameras in a long time. Hope its not a problem...Sounds like this sort of thing should be written on the front of the manual! Do you have to power up the camera or is it enough to just put on a battery?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069