Thread: In-camera batteries

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It is not rechargeable in an Epic, it is likely that one day the battery drains, and it is a fiddly issue to replace it. You would have to either leave it to service or risk damage to the camera. There is a youtube video of how it is done. https://youtu.be/KpjSaE8XHEw
    When the battery drains the camera will reset it's internal clock and every time you restart the camera it will begin from 0.

I have never experienced it, but it does not sound fun. So dmsc1 you cant affect the lifetime of the battery. It just die one day?
    And dsmc2 you do what? Leave the battery on when not shooting.... what is the recommended practice to recharge it?
    Epic #06696
    Epic-W #004069

Did some digging... DSMC2 cameras have the rechargeable internal. It trickle charges when the camera is powered on. If by chance it goes dead, best practice is to connect camera to power and turn it on, let it run for a while. Could take 24 hours or more for the internal battery to fully top up. But should be good enough within a couple hours that it should maintain itself and continue to charge just fine if the camera is then used regularly. RED tech support has recommended to people to power up the camera and leave it that way for 30 hours to guarantee the internal is charged all the way.

RED One, EPIC/ Scarlet DSMC1 do not have a rechargeable internal battery, but use a button battery. It seems EPIC-W and Scarlet-W cameras also use the button battery.

Dead internal batteries happen most often with cameras that sit unused for long periods of time. Of course there is always a chance of other failures, which could drain the battery.

I personally have not dealt with this on any of the REDs I have owned, so can only report what I've been able to dig up.

No concrete info on Komodo yet.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

The recharge function on DSMC2 works quite well no? I assume komodo has the same functionality or better.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kilgroe View Post
    RED One, EPIC/ Scarlet DSMC1 do not have a rechargeable internal battery, but use a button battery. It seems EPIC-W and Scarlet-W cameras also use the button battery.
    But Red cameras seem to drain a lot more than any other technology I used which have internal memory for settings. How can the camera draw so much power in shut down mode? Not using the camera for a month is enough for it to deplete.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    But Red cameras seem to drain a lot more than any other technology I used which have internal memory for settings. How can the camera draw so much power in shut down mode? Not using the camera for a month is enough for it to deplete.
    My monstro never had a problem and it been on the shelf for more than a month at times.

Likely komodo works all different if it gets 3 hours out of 2 little canon batteries it must have a completely different power management. Likely more like the canon cameras. So again I think the internal battery is not much to worry about on komodo. Problem was pretty much fixed on the later DSMC2 iterations.
    Björn Benckert

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    My monstro never had a problem and it been on the shelf for more than a month at times.

Likely komodo works all different if it gets 3 hours out of 2 little canon batteries it must have a completely different power management. Likely more like the canon cameras. So again I think the internal battery is not much to worry about on komodo. Problem was pretty much fixed on the later DSMC2 iterations.
    At least let the cameras charge with a power adapter, right? I seem to not be able to charge my Weapon 6K with the adapter, but need to let the camera run with V-lock batteries on and keep charging etc. so I can't charge it "over night" or something like that. Komodo seriously need to be able to charge internal batteries with power adapters.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Again the whole issue is something of the past as I understand. DSM1 and early DSMC2 had batteries that ran out. Later DSM2 does not or at least it seams like they charge from from being turned on / have a battery on the back, komodo likely does the same.

The power drain when turned off that red cameras has / battery goes flat over time if it sits on the camera. I dont know if its the same for komodo but likely not. But if even so its not a big problem if you know about it. And likely the Canon batteries are way better than Vlock batteris in terms of being overly drained and then not take charge etc. I never had a canon battery go south, Vlocks batteries and chargers on the other hand, I seen problems with all of them.
    Björn Benckert