Thread: KOMODO rig ideas!

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 KOMODO rig ideas! 
    I have asked quite a few prospective KOMODO buyers and I myself have already made the purchase on a few accessories for the KOMODO and I hope we can all share our rig ideas in this thread

So Far I have thought of two rigs that I would love to create... if Jarred you see this and want a new alpha tester willing to hand over 8000 for a CC Komodo from a previous red owner and stock videographer then please reply :) Unfortunately, I don't think RED would want a high schooler on stream for some KOMODO discussions and sample footage

RUN AND GUN WILDLIFE RIG

1. Polar Pro Basecamp
    2. 24-105 RF
    3. 70-200 RF (or EF since the RF is in high demand)
    4. BP-975s
    5. Flowtech 75 with FSB 8
    6. Focus 5.5"

edit (400mm ef, 1.4x teleconverter, Oben gh30, Robus rc-8860)

and really that's what I think would make a perfect reg for hiking with a Whistler or Protactic 450 bag since everything is so compact and lightweight.

I really hope some more of you guys can share some rig ideas for some different applications and some unique configurations or neat mods
    Last edited by Clayton Burns; 06-17-2020 at 09:28 PM.

well good luck shooting wildlife with 200mm lens over 75mm legs and FSB8 head! also for wildlife Komodo is missing one key thing: cache recording. amount of space that is saved by any sort of pre-recording is essential if you are doing high resolution RAW
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Yes I should have clarified more on this,

I included the 70 200 as it is a nice medium telephoto that can be used for certain applications, but otherwise, I use the 400mm ef as my wildlife lens but the 70-200 is great for those nature shots with nice compression.

I didn't include the 400mm ef in my list just because I'm not too sure how Komodo would work with a super-telephoto, as I usually use my Raven and 5D iv for such shoots. I still do believe though that a 70-200 is an excellent lens for certain nature/wildlife photography as I can punch out to 70 if I need to. I do see what you mean about cache recording, but I presume pre-recording can be brought to komodo through firmware. I chose to include the 75's since a lot of the wildlife I get does not involve too much hiking and weight isn't really an issue. But for the protactic 450 and a shoot that involves hiking, I would certainly move to a lighter benro with unfilled sandbags that can be filled with rocks or any weight when I reach my destination. Obviously I don't know too much about the komodo just yet, except for the 6-hour live stream with Scott. I hope as time passes Canon can build some RF super-telephotos like the 400 because I don't really like using adapters as it shifts weight and adds a piece of glass between the sensor and my subject (doesn't really matter with canon adapters but something just doesn't feel "right" about it). I really hope that the KOMODO is everything that I need it to be as a light run and gun b cam to the Raven or the c500 ii
    Last edited by Clayton Burns; 06-17-2020 at 09:46 PM.

SO is BP-975s and BP-995 both will work on new Komodo?

Yes they will, be cautious about 3rd party batteries though as Phil has stated that some didn’t work
    DoP at Cortex Films
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    well good luck shooting wildlife with 200mm lens over 75mm legs and FSB8 head! also for wildlife Komodo is missing one key thing: cache recording. amount of space that is saved by any sort of pre-recording is essential if you are doing high resolution RAW
    Pre-record is certainly very useful but, for me at least, I don't think it's essential given that the media will be significantly cheaper. And maybe they will finally allow us to delete clips on camera :-) What do you think is the problem with Clayton's choice of legs and head?

Quote Originally Posted by Luka Sanader View Post
    well good luck shooting wildlife with 200mm lens...
    Tell that to this guy ;) https://www.nickbrandt.com/portfolio...7&nS=2#image-1

(But you're right, for mere mortals you want something longer)
    Breonna Taylor's killers still haven't been charged.

http://www.magicgoggles.com : Red Epic Dragon #7703 "Ilsa" : Komodo ST #389 "TK-421"

Wow i just looked at that portfolio, that is amazing. But yeah I would stick with my 400 and a teleconverter for most images. But thank you for sharing that portfolio, its truly amazing what can be accomplished with a camera and creativity.
    DoP at Cortex Films
    Calgary, Alberta

Quote Originally Posted by joshua csehak View Post
    Tell that to this guy ;) https://www.nickbrandt.com/portfolio...7&nS=2#image-1

(But you're right, for mere mortals you want something longer)
    Awesome portfolio indeed!
    Paul Kalbach

RED Weapon-Helium#4580, RedOne-MX #1693, RedOne-MX #10062

www.ArtichokePro.com
    www.RedZephyrCam.com

That portfolio is freaking nuts! I wonder if it's worth it to get closer to animals with that short of a lens..