Thread: HYDROKOMODO. 3 years and still waiting

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Im personally happy with my monstro. And will likly not buy a komodo when offered even though I got a h1.

But as I see it, Jarred and team should sort the H1 people as quick as possible, give em a 1k usd discount and first in line option on komodo stormtrooper for 6k or the option to wait for “production model” and be first in line for 5k usd.

Because the H1 guys have, as I see it, been teased and told to wait for such a long time now. I dont know what economical disaster it would cause red to do as I suggest. But Im sure it would boost the brand and make a lot of guys that bought into the h1, not because they wanted a new phone but because they had great trust in red and saw the phone as a way into the red camera ecosysten, a way that they could afford.

Just get those guys sorted. Many of them have been waiting for their dream camera to be deliverd since long before the bmpc4k came out. If any way possible, I think that would be the right thing to do.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I still use my H1 day to day. (Granted, it was only my 2nd smart phone and my first high end one.) And when I do play with the h4v, I still enjoy it. Taking a 3d picture is fun for a seasoned photographer like myself, and makes me think slightly different than I would a 2d picture.. If the Komodo discount comes in as promised (about $1,000), I ended up paying around $300 a phone. To me, it was worth 2 years of solid usage.

That being said, Red had some BAD timing with it. They happened to pick a processor that was severely outdated by Apple's Bionic after just a year, let alone Qualcomm's own next gen processor. Very few people bought it for the h4v, but for the future prospect of a Red Pocket Cinema Camera. The camera was OK on it, the speakers were bad, the h4v was fun but not $1,000 fun. I personally LOVED the heavy feel, scalloped sides and the tactile buttons.

If RED launched it with a module or two, it would have given it longer legs and a better reputation. Making those modules compatible with the H2 as well would have steadied the sinking ship IMHO.

But I am more than happy with the 1K discount on the Komodo. (Hopefully.)
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    But as I see it, Jarred and team should sort the H1 people as quick as possible, give em a 1k usd discount and first in line option on komodo stormtrooper for 6k or the option to wait for “production model” and be first in line for 5k usd.
    Can anyone clarify how the discount will work?

I was an earlier adopter of the Hydrogen, but ended up selling both phones eventually as they didn't suit my needs - had to sell them relatively cheap ink the end.
    I didn't keep a record on my seal numbers
    and unsure if I'll therefore get the discount on production Komodo.

Anyone have info on this front?
    thanks
    le VV Monstro
    and water housing

www.nalu.com.au

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WesG View Post

I was an earlier adopter of the Hydrogen, but ended up selling both phones eventually as they didn't suit my needs - had to sell them relatively cheap ink the end.

thanks
    ¨

If you sold them I don't think the discount applies. I would assume since you got back some of the investment on that purchase. Others who still have their phone I understand will have the discount since the investment is a loss.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    .....as I see it, Jarred and team should sort the H1 people as quick as possible, give em a 1k usd discount and first in line option on komodo stormtrooper for 6k or the option to wait for “production model” and be first in line for 5k usd.

Because the H1 guys have, as I see it, been teased and told to wait for such a long time now. I dont know what economical disaster it would cause red to do as I suggest. .
    I was thinking along the same lines. But maybe Jarred has something even better in his mind, since the stormtroopers are all going out...:)

Quote Originally Posted by WesG View Post

thanks
    Do you still have the original invoice or email with the invoice?

Discount is tied to serial number So if the buyer for your phone uses it for a Komodo discount, you can’t. One discount per serial number.
    Eric Oh, CSC
    Cinematographer

www.vimeopro.com/ericoh/dop
    www.instagram.com/ericoh_csc

Monstro | Sigma Cine Primes | GL Optics 70-200mm | Clavius Lenses