Thread: HYDROKOMODO. 3 years and still waiting

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Im personally happy with my monstro. And will likly not buy a komodo when offered even though I got a h1.

But as I see it, Jarred and team should sort the H1 people as quick as possible, give em a 1k usd discount and first in line option on komodo stormtrooper for 6k or the option to wait for “production model” and be first in line for 5k usd.

Because the H1 guys have, as I see it, been teased and told to wait for such a long time now. I dont know what economical disaster it would cause red to do as I suggest. But Im sure it would boost the brand and make a lot of guys that bought into the h1, not because they wanted a new phone but because they had great trust in red and saw the phone as a way into the red camera ecosysten, a way that they could afford.

Just get those guys sorted. Many of them have been waiting for their dream camera to be deliverd since long before the bmpc4k came out. If any way possible, I think that would be the right thing to do.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

I still use my H1 day to day. (Granted, it was only my 2nd smart phone and my first high end one.) And when I do play with the h4v, I still enjoy it. Taking a 3d picture is fun for a seasoned photographer like myself, and makes me think slightly different than I would a 2d picture.. If the Komodo discount comes in as promised (about $1,000), I ended up paying around $300 a phone. To me, it was worth 2 years of solid usage.

That being said, Red had some BAD timing with it. They happened to pick a processor that was severely outdated by Apple's Bionic after just a year, let alone Qualcomm's own next gen processor. Very few people bought it for the h4v, but for the future prospect of a Red Pocket Cinema Camera. The camera was OK on it, the speakers were bad, the h4v was fun but not $1,000 fun. I personally LOVED the heavy feel, scalloped sides and the tactile buttons.

If RED launched it with a module or two, it would have given it longer legs and a better reputation. Making those modules compatible with the H2 as well would have steadied the sinking ship IMHO.

But I am more than happy with the 1K discount on the Komodo. (Hopefully.)
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    But as I see it, Jarred and team should sort the H1 people as quick as possible, give em a 1k usd discount and first in line option on komodo stormtrooper for 6k or the option to wait for “production model” and be first in line for 5k usd.
    Can anyone clarify how the discount will work?

I was an earlier adopter of the Hydrogen, but ended up selling both phones eventually as they didn't suit my needs - had to sell them relatively cheap ink the end.
    I didn't keep a record on my seal numbers
    and unsure if I'll therefore get the discount on production Komodo.

Anyone have info on this front?
    thanks
    le VV Monstro
    and water housing

www.nalu.com.au

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WesG View Post

I was an earlier adopter of the Hydrogen, but ended up selling both phones eventually as they didn't suit my needs - had to sell them relatively cheap ink the end.

thanks
    ¨

If you sold them I don't think the discount applies. I would assume since you got back some of the investment on that purchase. Others who still have their phone I understand will have the discount since the investment is a loss.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    .....as I see it, Jarred and team should sort the H1 people as quick as possible, give em a 1k usd discount and first in line option on komodo stormtrooper for 6k or the option to wait for “production model” and be first in line for 5k usd.

Because the H1 guys have, as I see it, been teased and told to wait for such a long time now. I dont know what economical disaster it would cause red to do as I suggest. .
    I was thinking along the same lines. But maybe Jarred has something even better in his mind, since the stormtroopers are all going out...:)

Quote Originally Posted by WesG View Post

thanks
    Do you still have the original invoice or email with the invoice?

Discount is tied to serial number So if the buyer for your phone uses it for a Komodo discount, you can’t. One discount per serial number.
    Eric Oh, CSC
    Cinematographer

www.vimeopro.com/ericoh/dop
    www.instagram.com/ericoh_csc

Monstro | Komodo ST | Sigma Cine Primes | GL Optics 70-200mm | Clavius Lenses

How does one go about looking into the Hydrogen owner discount for the full production Black Komodo that you mentioned Phil?
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Robb Fischer View Post
    How does one go about looking into the Hydrogen owner discount for the full production Black Komodo that you mentioned Phil?
    Thanks.
    Robb!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarred Land View Post
    Between my Komodo Cfast photo last week and Jim's reference in the Hydrogen thread there has been a ton of speculation of what Komodo is, and it sure is fun to watch imaginations run wild.

I told everyone that I wouldn't reveal Komodo until it was ready.. There still is a bunch of time before the first batch starts shipping towards the end of the year and everything can and probably will change.

But in the spirit of discovery... perhaps I can still stay inside those rules and tell you what Komodo is not :)

- It is not DSMC3
    - It is not a replacement for DSMC2
    - It is not 8k VV
    - It is not a Dragon or a Helium or a Gemini or a Monstro Sensor
    - It does not have an HDMI port
    - It does not use proprietary media
    - It is not a “module”
    - It is not under $5k, unless you own a Hydrogen.
    - It has no XLR ports
    - It does not have a fixed lens
    - It’s body does not weight more than 2 pounds.
    - It is not larger than 4 inches in any dimension.

O.. and since Komodo is alive and breathing and you will probably see it pop up over the next few weeks and months in the hands of some very talented people banging on it to try and break it... I guess I can at least leave you with this......
    Also some more information here: http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...rogen-Question
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed" -- Stanley Kubrick

8K Weapon VV Monstro #1882 --Sus Volantes
    6K RED Epic-M

I asked quite a few times in different thread;
    "How does the H1 courtesy discount will work for EDU purchase of Komodo". Sadly no Answer yet...
    No, I do not RENT MY GEARS... - NYC (Times Square)

EPIC-D with 9" touch, 4 RAVENs, RPP, Sigma 18-35 PL, Motion Mount, VF/RED-rock wireless FF, Pana 17", JVC 20", Seadicam with SEGWAY, Letus 4-Axis with L'Aigle Exoskeleton.

Trash-Can 12-core Max'd-out) +MBP (Retina), RED Rocket (Sonnet), RAID system (Promise Pegasus II), Adobe Production (CC), FCS2, Resolve 12 with MC Color, 50" 4K Panel

Quote Originally Posted by Alberto Guglielmi View Post
    Today 3 years ago we got the announcement of the new project hinted by Jim.
    3 years ago today, I immediately bought one (and then bought a second one).

I might have misunderstood, but we were buying into a revolutionary portable media machine, powered by RED minds.
    Something that would allow us to take photo and video to a new revolutionary place.

It took about 16 months to get it delivered. And when it came... let's just say that the market speaks for itself.
    I was personally very disappointed in the overall experience, and I reduced my time on the forums due to that reason. It made me lose the excitement I have for RED.
    Meanwhile the module promised never came, but it got shifted back into RED hands, and from Hydrogen, we are now into Komodo.

Komodo is a very different product from Hydrogen, and also a very different product from what an H1 plus module would have been.
    It is not even an HydroKomodo, as I mention in the title. It is a new camera module by RED.

I understand we H1 owners might get some sort of deal on the Komodo. I feel that for all the effort we made and the commitment of paying for a product, waiting 15 months for it, and never get what was promised, it hasn't been fully rewarded. I always like the stormtrooper idea, but maybe this time was better to look into the rebels? Instead of soldiers of the evil empire, reward the people who have been waiting 3 (THREE) years for a product?

An H is a $1000 investment. A Komodo is $5000. Am I now supposed to spend 4K for a product just because otherwise I lose the benefits of buying another one that did not work?
    And what if I want what was promised?
    What if I didn't want a Komodo, but a H2? A portable media machine? Not another camera.

I am sorry to vent. 3 years is a long time. Seeing the stormtroopers out, and not being even offered one without having to follow IG and the forum constantly, it makes me a bit upset.
    I am still a fan of RED. I like the quality of the products and I like the team. I am just wishing I got what I paid for 3 years ago.
    You summed it up perfectly. I couldn't agree more and feel the exact same way.