Thread: ISSUE in DAVINCI with 1 out of 96 shots.

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 ISSUE in DAVINCI with 1 out of 96 shots. 
    Hi guys,

I'm a DOP who's shot on RED occasionally over the last 10 years or so, however I bought a Gemini end of last year after testing one and loving it. Since the UK lockdown I've shot a project and now I'm doing something I haven't done much of before - grading R3D's. After a lot of research on settings in Davinci studio, I set my project and added an IPP2 to REC709 LUT to my end node (FYI - I have a reasonable amount of Davinci experience and have graded other cameras - so NOT a complete noob)

So all my clips look nice and viewable ahead of the grade, except one - it has this weird colour break up especially noticeable on the skin and in the water. I added a LUT in premiere and it doesn't show on my edit at all - the guys skin is kinda blotchy as he's just been running - but only when I view this 1 clip (out of 96) in Davinci it looks terrible. I can't work it out. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on it?

This is a screenshot of the R3D opened in premiere

MAKING GOOD_WIP_V8 (Resolve).00_00_51_22.Still001.jpg

And this is the same R3D file in Davinci with IPP2 to REC709 LUT applied.

MAKING GOOD_WIP_V8 (Resolve).00_00_51_22.Still002.jpg

CAMERA SETTINGS

Color space - REDWideGamutRGB
    Gamma Curve - LOG 3G10

Camera Firmware Version: 7.2.2
    Camera Sensor: GEMINI 5K S35
    Minimum Color Version: 2
    Resolution: 5120x2700
    FrameRate Num: 25000
    FrameRate Den: 1000
    Reel ID: A007_C020_0112E1
    Timecode Preference: Absolute
    Edge Timecode: 01:12:13:13
    Absolute Timecode: 16:09:34:03
    Camera ID: A
    Clip ID: 020
    Brightness: 0
    Contrast: 0
    Digital Gain Blue: 1
    Digital Gain Green: 1
    Digital Gain Red: 1
    Exposure Compensation: 0
    Exposure Time: 2e+04
    GenLock Setting: 0
    GMT Date: 20000112
    GMT Time: 160933
    ISO: 400
    Jam Sync Setting: 0
    Local Date: 20000112
    Local Time: 160933
    Saturation: 1
    Shutter Degrees: 180
    Shutter Fractions: 50
    White Balance Kelvin: 5600
    White Balance Tint: 0

Many thanks,
    Arran

Please upload a R3D snapshot. And more details about your LUT.

VFX, Cinematographer, Photographer
    10 frame handles
    Vimeo
    Instagram

Arran,

like Bob stated, the R3D would be a big help. The Davinci Resolve project settings would also help. If I had to take a guess, it looks like a "Negative" Highlight/Midtone curve was used form looking at the posterization in the skintones or an incompatible Color space Lut. But these are just guesses without the Lut and R3D files.

Edit

If it's a "negative" curve it's probably the "Red" Channel curve.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 07-09-2020 at 12:47 PM.

Hi guys,

Here's a dropbox link to the R3D and the LUT I applied. I've also added some screenshots of project setting in Resolve and another REC709 LUT that I also tested in another Davinci project on the same clip. The skintones are overly red with just the REC709 LUT added. Is there a problem with the original R3D somehow. I don't get it but maybe I'm doing something weird or someone can explain if my original camera settings were wrong?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/a4sj1h1w76...1276F.R3D?dl=0

The original LUT is a film emulation LUT from Impulz. I wanted to use this to give the project a look that I could then tweak manually. It's worked nicely on the other shots in the sequence so I can't work out why this clip has reacted so differently. Just as test I also downloaded a REC709 LUT from RED's site which is also in the dropbox link. The R3D also looks overly red and breaks up in a similar way with only this REC709 LUT added and no other correction whatsoever.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong as I'm pretty new to working with R3D's. Any help much appreciated.

Arran

Hi Arran,

I downloaded your R3D and with no RMD there it's just the straight REDCODE RAW file without metadata. The clip "looks fine and normal" to me in all software I loaded it up in here.

Whatever you're doing in Premiere Pro with the Metadata and possibly some Lumetri or LUT isn't being carried over into Resolve and/or you might be adding the LUT on top of the metadata curves you've tweaked.

REDCODE RAW works like this:

- .R3D is your actual clip
    - .RMD is the metadata with your lossless settings

Premiere Pro and Resolve don't communicate with each other outside of potentially what the RED metadata carries over. In Resolve you can in your project settings or clip settings look under the hood to see how your R3D is being imported and what it's seeing. If there's curves being carried over your can toggle them there. If it's Premiere, you can check the Master Effects and your REDCODE RAW settings there, but based on what I'm seeing it appears some sort of curve or LUT is involved.

The clip itself looks fine, which is good news. Something happened between your NLE and your grading software however.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Phil - Thanks so much for looking into that.

I did wonder if I'd somehow messed with the metadata in premiere but looking at the master settings in effect control there's no way I would have clicked 'save to RMD'. And I can't see anything obvious that's changed. I always add any colour correction in the NLE to an adjustment layer and toggle it off before exporting an XML, so i don't think anything has carried over that way. Is there a simple way to check the R3D metadata in Davinci or reset it to the RMD?

Arran,

As Phil stated, everything looks fine in Davinci Resolve. In Davinci Resolve with the project settings shown below, I couldn't replicate your Davinci Resolve image above. Maybe this particular image relied more heavily on the Lut in the Adjustment Layer in Premiere and when you disabled it , it gave you that funky looking image. I think the male talent in this image just seems to suffer from a little Rosacea.

With IPP2

With ACEScct

Here's another option for skintones after balancing out the Rosacea.

And another Look

Last edited by rand thompson; 07-11-2020 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks so much for this Rand. I did get it looking a load better than before but I'll have another look at these settings and check them against my own.

Many thanks,
    A

You're welcome Arran. Let me know if there's anything more that I can do to help.