Thread: Canon FD 80-200 F4 L - Resetting infinity focus?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Canon FD 80-200 F4 L - Resetting infinity focus? 
    Hey, everybody, I recently lucked into a fixer upper of a Canon nFD 80-200 F4 L that was quite the experience to take apart completely for fungus and oily aperture blades, now I’m resetting focus and having problems. I try to not put a fungus infected lens on my camera so I’m not sure if it was like this normally as a quirk but I can seem to get infinity only either at 80mm or at 200mm but not both. For those that don’t know, the back focus is similar to the 35-105 3.5 that I’ve posted about before with 5-6 screws near the back after unscrewing the zoom scale tube but on the 80-200 4.0 L, the back focus seems fool proof with two silver shims and after making markings upon initial disassembly, things seem to line up no matter what, unless I’m mistaken. The front focus is adjusted by unrolling the rubber focus grip and removing the taped clear wrap underneath to undo two roller screws and twisting the front cap off where the helicoid is. Now, I can get it to infinity focus at 200mm and have the ability to do infinity focus at the 3 mark at 80mm but I would think that is pretty off. The only thread I’ve found online talked about this quirkiness with DIY infinity focus adjustment but then I’m not sure Canon would have sold an L lens like this. I could be wrong and this could be totally normal but I wanted to ask if anybody here had any knowledge or advice to help?

Update! Since I didn’t hear word back, I’ve decided to leave the lens as it is since I can technically achieve infinity focus at least, despite being in different spots on the focus scale. It’s a nice lens and I can see it being useful for when I want that Canon FD look but I don’t see it being all that different quality-wise from some of my other Canon FD zooms, despite the L branding. The only other thing I can think to try is readjusting the back focus at 80mm and see if that balances things out on the focus scale but, again, if anybody has any experience or advice about this lens, please let me know. So far, infinity at 80mm is at 3 and infinity at 200mm is on infinity exactly, if that’s correct, then I’ve got it right, if not then please post a reply or send me a PM.