Thread: DSMC3

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DSMC3 
    Hi guys

Huge move by RED with Komodo, image look damn good, even compared to bigger boys, bringing me an idea about new line with much much better performance .....

Hoping for this year announcement.

Any leaks , ideas , thoughts ???
    " Speed needed for catching fleas "

That's the idea...
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

No one knows. I suspect it will be a huge step forward, but may be a bit delayed do to the pandemic.
    Director/DP at GetGrimm
    New York

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Grimm View Post
    No one knows. I suspect it will be a huge step forward, but may be a bit delayed do to the pandemic.
    Don't think it will. There's not much more you can do. Maybe push more stops, make it all global shuttered, higher framerates, less noise. I mean, there's a limit to what can be improved with the image.
    I think the biggest change will be functionality. We will see internal focus controls, internal wireless video (more advanced than Komodo), better cooling, autofocus etc.

It's like... what else do you need? Personally, I feel Komodo is the best camera they've done ever. So a Komodo-like body with a full-frame sensor at 8K pulling 100 fps and being virtually noiseless at reasonable ISOs while having in-camera tracking for virtual cameras in post and stabilization would be the sweet spot that really can't be improved much further past what you actually need.

We're hitting diminishing returns for cameras right now. People want "more more more", but what is actually needed? Seems like people scream for more without knowing. It's like... if I can't create good stuff with my Komodo, what else do I need? I fail to see any purpose of DSMC3 if it's not all about bringing advanced functionality and reducing the bulkiness of the DSMC2 lineup.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

I need Full frame with true dual ISO and good frame-rates with 1:1 quality and super colors and sensitivity, internal NDs, good EVF , all res downscale without crop,silent and batt efficient with size of Komodo and price around 30k for a body.
    " Speed needed for catching fleas "

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Keen View Post
    I need Full frame with true dual ISO and good frame-rates with 1:1 quality and super colors and sensitivity, internal NDs, good EVF , all res downscale without crop,silent and batt efficient with size of Komodo and price around 30k for a body.
    I've got a black belt in keeping it real!

I’m predicting Ranger is a body form factor prototype for DSMC3, and we will probably get many of the things we are asking for , but probably lose some of the things that are niceties of the DSMC1/2 legacy - which is totally ok.

Time to change it up ! I’m predicting 2022

personally i think DSMC concept should be scraped. this inherited form factor and gos back to the Epic M days and big factor that determined that shape was possibility for Stereoscopy and mirror rigs. Non of that is relevant in 2021.

1) form factor !! in last 5 years it came to us all that form of Alexsa Mini is most desirable and easiest form factor to work with. Kinefinty Mavo Edge made this concept of mixing Alexsa Mini and DSMC2 in a best possible way. Komodo is also a proof of that. Cube camera that can shoot out of the box.

2)Epic Lens mount is a problem. yes it was innovative in 2008 but Komodo proved that Mirrorless is a way to go. RF or Sony E or Nikon or even some Red flavor mount but it would be nice to see something super shallow, tool-less, strong and with Positive Lock or even a sub mount like Sony FZ was or A-mount...

3) Internal NDs are must! I have several of OLPF and i love them but after almost a decade shooting with Red i would be willing to sacrifice them for the conviniance of having internal ND any day.

what ever comes next is up to debate, more resolution, higher base ISO, more FPS... but this 3 points on a form, usability and versatility of new cameras have to be taken in consideration. Clit Eastwood said once that opinions are like assholes, everyone has one; sure and this is mine: DSMC concept is dead and it should be put to rest. If Red has future Komodo is that future. By having 3 cameras, Ranger MK2, new big Komodo style FF 8k and this small factor small 6k S35 Komodo Red would nail it . I would love to see Gemini Komodo before any new DSMC3 or new concept cameras.
    Epic-W Helium 8k #6819

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans;1916383snip:

Don't think it will. There's not much more you can do. Maybe push more stops, make it all global shuttered, higher framerates, less noise. I mean, there's a limit to what can be improved with the image.
    I think the biggest change will be functionality. We will see internal focus controls, internal wireless video (more advanced than Komodo), better cooling, autofocus etc.
    Add in IBIS, full featured body with NDs and at least 1 or 2 XLR or minXLR
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Honestly, a lot of things here are subjective. While, I kind of agree with shorter flange distance is a must nowadays, I still prefer the old mount system - where you can swap a mount instead of going with adapters. Adapters are non-reliable, often imperfect optically and loose with any given build quality. Once you put a Cooke Ana 2x on an adapter - the focus motor torque is going to easily twist the lens inside something like an RF mount with adapter. I'd rather see something like shorter flange mount system, like Lerca M-Mount was on DSMC1, but with RF-Mount specs. Much more robust for on-set work, much more precise in terms of keeping the flange distance in place.

Have to say also, once I've put a PL mount on my Scarlet, it lives there all the time. Just depends on which lenses you shoot mostly. I kind of think RED should stick more to on-set workflows rather then indies. Some people might never put a heavy zoom lens on their camera, but those lenses exist and you should be able to make it in a proper way.

Also agree with ND's, but don't agree with OLPF - I would never eliminate the OLPF as a system. Komodo OLPF is good enough to make it the only one actually needed, so if Alexa Mini could incorporate internal ND's with an OLPF, also C70 has internal ND's and RF-Mount, so it's def. doable.

But the possibilities opened with Komodo, and, some new lenses and technologies released this year - made cinema grade cameras much more friendly to a single-op style of shooting. I think easier - is a way to go for the next decade. Now it's not about K's, it's all about how you handle it and how easily or fast you can do it.