Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 36 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    Hey, yes. I have a 2015 iMac that I was able to cut 12K files on as we were getting accustomed to the camera.

I also have a 2015 MacBook Pro that struggles these days, and was able to color, cut and playback files at quarter res in a UHD timeline.

What is the max frame rate for 12k 2.40:1?

Wouldn't "playing back" 12k files actually end up being quarter-resolution or less on most laptops and even desktops? I mean I can't view 8k or even 6k on my MBP as the display does not have enough resolution. Maybe the codec is smart enough to only decode what the display can actually render?

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    Wouldn't "playing back" 12k files actually end up being quarter-resolution or less on most laptops and even desktops? I mean I can't view 8k or even 6k on my MBP as the display does not have enough resolution. Maybe the codec is smart enough to only decode what the display can actually render?
    These things are better left explained by JB or the engineers for various reasons, but I think you're on the right path. You also being to realize that outside of finishing, you don't need to see fall raster anyway for an edit unless you're doing punch-ins, which you can always switch that specific clip to full res in resolve, anyway. It's pretty smart. At the end of the day you / end of the edit you just select full debayer on export regardless.

Proxies are still relevant, but I hope they won't be as BRAW is more widely adopted.

What is the low light capabilities as well as dynamic range like?
    What I love with our Helium(s) is that they do not clip the highlights easily.

Cheers,
    Andreas
    www.ObergWildlife.com- Natural History Filmmaking
    www.WildlifeRescueMovie.com- Saving the animals of the Rainforest!
    2 x RED DSCM2 8K Helium, Phantom 4K VEO990, Movi Pro Gimbal, Inspire 2 X7, OConnor 2560, Canon 50-1000mm

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    What is the max frame rate for 12k 2.40:1?
    I think still 60 FPS....

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    Yeah I think it dynamically figures out how much your machine can do to playback in real time and adjusts itself to that. Of course the resolve viewer has always been a quick viewer, but I'm finding on a 1920 timeline looking through an eGPU to HDMI it plays HD output to a monitor very nicely and fat enough to edit and with nodes applied...

Switch the timeline to your delivery resolution and codec and off you go....

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    Awesome! I'd love to finally be done with aliasing and moire. I'm curious how the 8K scaling works. Maybe somebody will do a test with 12K ->4K delivery and 8K -> 4K delivery and compare the end results for resolution and noise. I'm interested in 8K for the higher frame rates and lower rolling shutter time.
    I have some 8k stuff that's really nice I'll push out in a few days...it doesn't disappoint. There was a debate about kicking off with the 8K stuff as the first footage to show....;-)

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I have some 8k stuff that's really nice I'll push out in a few days...it doesn't disappoint. There was a debate about kicking off with the 8K stuff as the first footage to show....;-)

JB
    Really would like to see it !

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Yonkers View Post
    OMG, can some one please address the big gorgeous white rhino-elephant in the room? Editing 12k in a laptop like it was 720p prores?
    The specs are big, sure, but nothing as big as the innovation in terms of new technology. This seems like RED 2.0 on steroids. Phil, Greame, JB, can you guys please describe in more detail what you know aside from specs, but directly into what the new sensor and codec mean? Seriously please!
    Some info on BRAW https://patentimages.storage.googlea...80367775A1.pdf The sensor is already described by Phil and John earlier in this thread.