Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 36 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Thanks Misha ;)
    Grading Suite Davinci Resolve, Rental RED Digital camera.
    MONSTRO 8k CF #831 "BLACK PEARL" , EPIC-W GEMINI # "DAFNE".
    ARRI ALEXA EV , ALEXA MINI LF "ROZI"

SITE
    www.cine5k.ch

People smarter than me should download the three BRAW samples and the newest version of Resolve. I find they play/look fine at "fit" resolution, just like in the presentation. These are very well lit and shot in daylight, but at 200-300 magnification there seems to be a lot of chroma noise. Look in the shadows at the backgrounds. And dark hair colors goes to purple. Much worse than I see with my Helium sensor, and I am sure much, much worse than Monsto would show. The colors are nice, and editing is easy. I am looking at rec709 so maybe with rec2020 or some other formula it would be different. I am just not seeing the advantages of 12k on this platform. I can blow up/crop images from my stills camera (Nikon D5) with a Bayer sensor and much lower resolution without any of these artifact. Like I said, it looks great right out of the box, but I don't get the 12k goodness, I think 8k Red even at high compressions looks better. Please let's get some others to take a look?
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Dishler View Post
    People smarter than me should download the three BRAW samples and the newest version of Resolve. I find they play/look fine at "fit" resolution, just like in the presentation. These are very well lit and shot in daylight, but at 200-300 magnification there seems to be a lot of chroma noise. Look in the shadows at the backgrounds. And dark hair colors goes to purple. Much worse than I see with my Helium sensor, and I am sure much, much worse than Monsto would show. The colors are nice, and editing is easy. I am looking at rec709 so maybe with rec2020 or some other formula it would be different. I am just not seeing the advantages of 12k on this platform. I can blow up/crop images from my stills camera (Nikon D5) with a Bayer sensor and much lower resolution without any of these artifact. Like I said, it looks great right out of the box, but I don't get the 12k goodness, I think 8k Red even at high compressions looks better. Please let's get some others to take a look?
    With regards to noise, these samples were shot using older hardware.

In fact the camera was the new sensor but using the old G2 hardware. Id expect the noise to improve a little with the actual shipping hardware and boards.

It was shipped to me as a G2 as part of the secrecy of it all. Im still amazed they kept this secret until announcement.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Senior Member Alexandros Tsoupras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    With regards to noise, these samples were shot using older hardware.

In fact the camera was the new sensor but using the old G2 hardware. I’d expect the noise to improve a little with the actual shipping hardware and boards.

It was shipped to me as a G2 as part of the secrecy of it all. I’m still amazed they kept this secret until announcement.

JB
    What is the SNR Signal-to-noise ratio of the ursa mini pro 12K?
    RED DSMC2 HELIUM S35 #002338 ''NINA'' RED EPIC-X DRAGON #02027 "Faith" Manfrotto Canon CN-E Primes Samyang Bright Tangerine Viv Tiffen Tilta Nucleus-m Teradek Bolt 600ft Bartech PLC Heden Letus35 Helix Mg Ready Rig Pro arms FSI Tvlogic Atomos Shogun Inferno Wooden Camera MSI

Can somebody please post a 12k png grab from the footage? I don't have a MAC to process it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandros Tsoupras View Post
    What is the SNR Signal-to-noise ratio of the ursa mini pro 12K?
    I have no idea ;-)

I mean the noise floor isn't really finalised. There's the so called final hardware that's just gone out now, but I imagine there might still be some tweaks before they start shipping.

I've never really liked those kinds of stats, or the DR claims. They're all over the place. What matters is usage for the way I like to light and work.

If your question is about noise and DR, I'm going to say that it's very similar to what the G2 is today, except that the resolution can go much higher, and it has other very cool modes AND for me, most importantly, it grades beautifully.

I think they didn't want to go backwards from where the G2 is now, which is a highly customised sensor but not of their own base design.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

I would expect dual-ISO makes the noise discussion more complicated, however I'm not sure if this new camera is dual-ISO. Given the friendly camera-to-CODEC relationship it seems like some new possibilities for ISO might have opened up.

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    I would expect dual-ISO makes the noise discussion more complicated, however I'm not sure if this new camera is dual-ISO. Given the friendly camera-to-CODEC relationship it seems like some new possibilities for ISO might have opened up.
    From the specs it appears to be native ISO 800 only.

My initial thought with this camera was WTF lol. But having thought about it gone over the info I've realised it's not a camera targeting a small corporate/commercial production company like mine. But this could be something very, very special.