Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pultz View Post
    Is there a way to send the zoomed output via SDI so that a different monitor or EVF can be used? That would be super nice.
    No that’s not possible at the moment.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jonathan View Post
    Kholi could you link me? So far I've only been following on EOSHD and the official BM-Forum but those threads have mostly devolved into complete shitfests.. Unfortunately the bmcuser-forum seems to be completely dead these days!

The question for me regarding the focus seems be more around lenses and monitoring devices. The math that if the circle of confusion is reduced than DoF is reduced is pretty clear, with two big IFs - a that the lens actually has that resolving power, but I'm not sure if even the Supremes fully resolve 12k (that doesn't need to be a bad thing). And the other question that apparently plays into DoF which someone mentioned earlier is what monitor you're viewing the footage on. Obviously 12k monitors don't exist (yet) and very few people have access to 8k. So if you reviewing the footage on a 4k monitor what happens to the circle of confusion or is it all evened out and the effect of the pixel pitch no longer matters?

But yeah I am super excited about this camera - even just as a proof of concept. No more OLPFs, a new CFA and exciting color sampling are all so much more valuable to high quality image production than the headline grabbing 12k thats for sure.
    I'm also just reminded of the 2.5K and my time spent with Mosaic Engineering beta testing when they were creating the first BMD OLPF, popping it in and out and doing A/B there was a difference in how it rendered OOF areas and transitions. That was actually extremely obvious, but for what reasons exactly I have no idea. So maybe it's a side effect of having enough resolution to by pass the need for an OLPF in a moving image for the first time? No aliasing / moire to create buzzy edges?

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    No that’s not possible at the moment.

JB
    Bummer. I'd love a better way to do critical focus outdoors with the EVF but so far it or my eyesight is limiting. Often times I'm doing landscape work and I can't just go based on distance due to field curvature or where things are in the frame. But maybe it will happen someday :)

Bummer. I'd love a better way to do critical focus outdoors with the EVF but so far it or my eyesight is limiting. Often times I'm doing landscape work and I can't just go based on distance due to field curvature or where things are in the frame. But maybe it will happen someday :)
    Yeah it’s hard.

There is peaking and yes it does blow up on the monitor when you double tap.

You can also make use of the 12G 4K SDI output ?

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

JB
    That how we have been doing it for the last couple of years with the UMP G1.

The global obsession with smartphones does have an upside - a wide selection of high performance, commodity priced, hiDPI screens in a small form factor running on internal batteries. Add a phone cradle on an adjustable arm/slide. Add a flip down loupe (eyepiece) so you can magnify and precisely focus the image. Ideally, you'd want the cradle to accept SDI over BNC then feed the phone/monitor via USB-C port. (Potentially a power tap as well so device batteries are kept up).

I would argue that in 2020 there is no point in the manufacturers making custom monitors for their cameras. Lots of NRE, small batches, long lead times, etc. I would want RED, ARRI, Sony, etc to design sturdy, lightweight mounting hardware with loupes/shades/etc to host the "phone" while shooting - I still want ergonomics, ambient light control, etc. If it's well made and has good optics in the flip down eyepiece - boom.

Biggest hurdle I'm aware of is pushing an external video signal into a port on the phone. Presumably RED is already working on solutions for the Komodo project, so at least the dev train has likely left the station. Don't know if a peer to peer 5G link or any other wireless protocol would have enough bandwidth for a 12g signal, but as long as the RX is within a few inches of the TX, interference and power consumption should be manageable.

Cheers - #19

Yeah it’s hard.

There is peaking and yes it does blow up on the monitor when you double tap.

JB
    4K would be a good improvement, last time I tried the EVF didn't accept it but maybe other monitors do.

4K would be a good improvement, last time I tried the EVF didn't accept it but maybe other monitors do.
    Yeah the BMD EVF isn’t a 12K EVF. I don’t think a 4K EVF exists on any camera ? The SDI on the front is also “only” 1920. But the rear one is 1920 / 4K switchable.

I was talking to my focuspuller and he was having the same issues. The very best focus pulling monitors that all the top ones are using are all only 1920.

There’s no good 4K panels for field use out there yet. I think Small are about to start shipping their new series but I haven’t seen what theyr’e like yet...

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Yeah the BMD EVF isn’t a 12K EVF. I don’t think a 4K EVF exists on any camera ? The SDI on the front is also “only” 1920. But the rear one is 1920 / 4K switchable.

I was talking to my focuspuller and he was having the same issues. The very best focus pulling monitors that all the top ones are using are all only 1920.

There’s no good 4K panels for field use out there yet. I think Small are about to start shipping their new series but I haven’t seen what theyr’e like yet...

JB
    It doesn't have to be a 4K panel. If it could take 4K input and allow zooming in that would help also.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Boyer View Post
    FINALLY...a camera manufacturer is directly, officially addressing this very annoying (at least to me) shortcoming of digital cameras to date. I've been going on about this for years but almost no one else seemed to care all that much. To be fair, I believe Graeme did try to address this in the color science when Dragon first came out but people complained that the color red appeared too saturated. I remarked I'd rather have a red blob where a tail light should be versus a white blob with a pink halo. Again, no one really cared and white blobs with colored halos where traffic, brake, tail, and neon lights are present has ruled the day with little protest from you lot. Hopefully, this new BMD sensor can change that industry-wide and overcome one of the last two major advantages celluloid film still has over digital acquisition.
    I know, right? I haven't seen a digital camera handle this situation properly. Just like film can't see into deep shadows, digital can't handle light sources. DR numbers are not the answer. I don't know why, though. Monstro can't do it, Alexa can't do it, despite them having the highest DR in the business.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Not what this thread is about, but if you haven't worked with RED in a while, RED IPP2's color workflow features a built in advanced out of gamut mapping since 2016/2017:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giOzn2y6_Q4
    Getting there, but not up to the photochemical film standard.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)