Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 44 FirstFirst ... 29353637383940414243 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Here is a video I made of the recovered URSA Mini Pro Footage. It's still unusable however.

So...To reiterate highly overexposed BM12 footage is not as recoverable as the ARRI footage?
    Scarlet-X 02987 *** Epic-M 00112 *** Komodo XXXXX
    Creative Director for Radiance Film & Digital Cinema 365

Quote Originally Posted by Jamil Stubbs View Post
    So...To reiterate highly overexposed BM12 footage is not as recoverable as the ARRI footage?
    you are correct Jamil,

The Arri Alexa will be, for the foreseeable future, king of highlight recovery. The Ursa Mini Pro 12K is nowhere near close to the Arri Alexa's performance. I had to summon up all the sorcery I could muster to get these results and the highlights still looks like shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamil Stubbs View Post

But you could make the clipping point to be white and not pink. And look how it compares the lowlights in the -7 or -8 stops VS Alexa. (if you have the pictures)
    Usually Alexa is really noisy in the very lowlights with some ugly denoise artefacts where you can't push it in post.

But you could make the clipping point to be white and not pink

Exactly how will making the clipping point white help better recover an image that has already far exceeded its Highlight clipping point. Can you show an example of what the image would look like adhering to your methodology.?Or is this all just technical theory on your part with little in terms of practical application? The Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro is simply not capable of the same level of Highlight recoverability as the Arri Alexa, white point being white, purple, yellow, pink or green. It's not as if you get multiple ways of recovering a completely blown out image .
    Last edited by rand thompson; 10-28-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro 12k Constant Quality

By JSFILMZ

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14gS...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by rand thompson; 10-28-2020 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Exactly how will making the clipping point white help better recover an image that has already far exceeded its Highlight clipping point. Can you show an example of what the image would look like adhering to your methodology.?Or is this all just technical theory on your part with little in terms of practical application? The Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro is simply not capable of the same level of Highlight recoverability as the Arri Alexa, white point being white, purple, yellow, pink or green. It's not as if you get multiple ways of recovering a completely blown out image .
    Arri footage is also clipped but the resulting image is blue/white. Now the BM image is obviously also clipped and unrecoverable. But making the hilights more neutral would show us a more ballanced image and show how the other colors would react if clipped pixel are white. So BM is more sensitive in Blue and Green as Red Orange in this 5600k scenario. It's probably made first for tungsten (3200k) use?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Arri footage is also clipped but the resulting image is blue/white. Now the BM image is obviously also clipped and unrecoverable. But making the hilights more neutral would show us a more ballanced image and show how the other colors would react if clipped pixel are white. So BM is more sensitive in Blue and Green as Red Orange in this 5600k scenario. It's probably made first for tungsten (3200k) use?

The Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro also doesn't have the Arri Alexa's Dual Gain sensor. The test you are asking for has already been done by JSFILMZ in the video I posted on the previous page which is why I tried my method to see if I could get better results.

Ursa Mini Pro 12k vs Arri Alexa

By
    JSFILMZ

Ursa Mini Pro 12K Quality settings. Graded in ACEScct

I think this is becoming a very familiar argument looking back on the old days of the "RED One MX vs. Alexa" debate. For such technical advancement right away, of course some things got left by the wayside and, in this case, it appears to be low light performance and dynamic range. However, lest we forget, proper exposure techniques for filmmaking will negate most, if not all, discrepancies in dynamic range as those projects incorporate artificial light for 99-percent of the material. What the URSA 12K probably isn't a great camera for is uncontrolled documentary and run and gun work. Otherwise, it seems to cover anything you would want a camera for and at industry breaking 12K resolution at a $10K price! What I would like to see is more tests with 8K cameras rather than 4K and 6K solutions and not dead end cameras like the Canon R5 which is useless for 8K until Canon or Magic Lantern fixes the overheating. The review video Armando Ferreira did was confusing as I couldn't tell if they messed it up and did it all with compression enabled and, I'm not sure if it was intentional, but I couldn't help but feel that the preference for Canon no matter what felt a little artificial (ie. Canon advertisement) despite the clear lack of resolution in comparison to the 12K [even with some apparent missed focus shots here and there]. I'm eager to try out the URSA 12K myself but until the world situation gets better, all new camera purchases are on hold for us, and I can't wait to see some big productions put it to use!