Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 40 of 44 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 LastLast
    A pretty easy and straightforward "fix" would be nailing exposure. Just like every other shoot on every other day. No diffuse part of a scene should ever even approach clipping on a modern camera. And I'm not limiting this to high end cinema cameras, even if I might not include the lowest end.

There is so much headroom in today's cameras and the codecs are so rich that it takes a proper effort to fail. Not that some aren't trying.

Overexposing cameras by 5 stops or whatever, only to make them clip and then comparing the images is 100% internet, armchair warrior territory. It's one thing to make these technical tests to gather information—this is useful and it makes sense. It's another thing to blow out a face by 5 stops and then make a discussion about "recovery" as if it's actionable intel. As mentioned, the solution starts way earlier in the image acquisition chain.

Somewhere around 4 stops over, at the latest, it's all just specular or direct light information. And even then, higher end cameras have no problem containing moderate direct light sources such as candles or lamp shades.

Surely, there are lots of interesting discussions to be had around professionally shot footage?

Blackmagic URSA Mini Pro 12K Video Tokyo Japan From Shinjuku 12K撮影 ブラックマジック12K 新宿散歩

By たかさんチャンネル

Video of the quality settings of the Ursa Mini Pro 12k.

Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro 12k vs Arri Alexa

By
    JSFILMZ

Download link to footage
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVZ...ROqsAFX7R/view

Arri Under and Blackmagic Design Ursa Mini Pro 12K Under.

I didn't like the ACEScct automatic Raw transformation of both or the look of Blackmagic Design Transform Luts so I graded both from scratch.

Arri

Ursa Mini 12k

Last edited by rand thompson; 10-29-2020 at 11:55 PM.

Just having a look, cropping into the BM 12K again to approximate the Alexa FOV -

I think it's just the light hitting the chart from different angles causing the colour shift there, other than that they look kind of similar to me, while still having their basic differences.

Video of the grades above

8. #398 BMD, good on ya 
    Not surprisingly, the dual gain architecture of the ARRI Alexa shines in over/under tests.

Based solely on demo footage, the BMD UMP 12K shows excellent resolution and DR. Chart colors, via ACES cct (thanx Rand) appear accurate.

I really think BMD might be onto something with their adaptation of Bayer CFA. Think about the human eye with it's rods and cones. Think about the potential sensitivity of a photo site sans a dyed filter. I have been critical of BMD camera's clumsy execution and poor ergonomics, but, IMO, their new sensor design is a major step forward. I sincerely hope that RED doesn't get caught in the NIH (not invented here) trap and really studies the potential of a sensor design that more closely mimics the human eye.

I hope to live long enough to see sensors that can read both intensity and wavelength at each photo site, but, until then, a combination of filtered and unfiltered photo sites sure makes sense to me.

Cheers - #19

Blair,

Thanks, I used a "Davinci YRGB" project in the example of the young woman above and graded both from scratch. This time I didn't like how dark ACEScct made both raw images appear. Plus I've never really been a big fan of Blackmagic Design's tranform Luts.

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Blackmagic Ursa Mini Pro 12k vs Arri Alexa

By
    JSFILMZ

Download link to footage
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZVZ...ROqsAFX7R/view

The Arri has way less details in the shadows, clipped / flat blacks even in the log file. I bet you would get the same results in DR if you shot with the Ursa at 1600iso.