Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 44 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast
    I must say that Komodo looks beautiful when compared to this new BM camera. The size is very easy to appreciate and while it is basically "a multi-purpose shape -- a box", it's relationship to lens and display is very nice. Of course function leads form but I find sometimes that form can predict function, and I like the predictions Komodo is making.

Quote Originally Posted by Med D View Post
    I would expect dual-ISO makes the noise discussion more complicated, however I'm not sure if this new camera is dual-ISO. Given the friendly camera-to-CODEC relationship it seems like some new possibilities for ISO might have opened up.
    It's not dual ISO.

Iso 800, and anecdotally in my view, similar to a G2.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Also, for those interested in the RGBW sensor, this is a pretty good take on what's going on...

http://image-sensors-world.blogspot....or-filter.html

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    It's not dual ISO.

Iso 800, and anecdotally in my view, similar to a G2.

JB
    Well the G2 is beautiful so that's good news. I didn't know the G2 was dual gain. That was news to me. Thanks for you blog btw!

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Butler View Post
    Well the G2 is beautiful so that's good news. I didn't know the G2 was dual gain. That was news to me. Thanks for you blog btw!
    Yeah the very first BMCC was, the OG pocket, the 4.6k the UMP and the G2 are all dual gain.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Props to Misha for the graphic on mosaic patterns for CMOS sensors. The color interpolation percentages noted may be mathematically accurate, but, since they only cite the three primaries, should not be considered gospel for color reconstruction precision.

IAC, BMD's approach - like most engineering - has strengths and weaknesses. Theory suggests that their scheme is more dependent on demosaicing algorithms and color science than traditional Bayer. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it just means that turning that initial data set into an accurate reconstructed RGB image is more reliant on how good that processing step is.

FWIW, if I'm booked to shoot something on it, I'd be hard core about charts. I may not want accurate scene referred color in the final product, but I'd want to audition each shot with nominal alignment before tweaking. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Misha Engel View Post
    Does this sensor employ the same concept as the old Sony F35? The F35 was a 6K "striped" ccd sensor that outputted a 2k signal. Would that make the Ursa 12k effectively a 4k camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Zananiri View Post
    Does this sensor employ the same concept as the old Sony F35? The F35 was a 6K "striped" ccd sensor that outputted a 2k signal. Would that make the Ursa 12k effectively a 4k camera?
    No not really,

Sony F35

BMD 12k
    https://patentimages.storage.googlea...90306472A1.pdf

Sony is using a lot of pixels to get a certain RGB output.
    BMD is using an ~80 MPix sensor to create an ~ 80 MPix RGB output

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    It was shipped to me as a G2 as part of the secrecy of it all. Im still amazed they kept this secret until announcement.
    A 3 year secret from what I'm hearing. I had an idea something was coming Q4 last year, but like everyone else, I was expecting 8K. A big weight off a lot of people's shoulders, that's for sure.

This isn't just all about the sensor. The colour science team have been working on this from the ground up too in Resolve. I need to play with some samples, but it really is quite an achievement. Will probably wait till it drops on windows.

Still keen to hear more about the sensor design. I first thought that this was BMs take on the foveon sensor. No White papers out as yet.

Funny that the most informative and objective thread is on Reduser, the threads on other forums are getting totally derailed..

Anyway, I've been reading up on all the different sources, and something I would like to see discussed it what the high resolution does to focus fall-off and rendering of out-of-focus areas. Shouldn't in theory this be much smoother and gentle, almost like full frame/medium format although this sensor is only S35?

Also, I remember some years ago I read that DOF is actually not only influenced by sensor size and focal length, but also to a degree by sensor resolution. The idea behind it being, if I remember correctly that larger pixels of lower resolution sensor would still appear in focus, while smaller pixels of higher resolution sensors would not, essentially decreasing the circle of confusion and thus DOF with all else being equal. I cannot find the original article anymore - does anyone who actually knows these things care to chime in?