Thread: Blackmagic Camera Update July 2020

Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 44 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    It's an interesting sensor and if I understand purely how they are tapping into the clear or clear-ish pixels it's to assist with light gathering and generally dynamic range likely due to the microlenses being small at 2.2 microns. Solid way to go actually for this particular sensor.

Bayer did a load of research (as did a bunch of other people) and human visual is indeed more sensitive to green on how we perceive light which is why Bayer is a good way to go, but it's neat to see some new angles here. TL;DR green lights up two of our three cones due to it's wavelength.

In this particular implementation of RGBT(or C or W or perhaps N) 6x6 it is indeed more interpolated color than other CFAs. And that makes the higher pixel count super useful.

Not saying that's a bad thing, just saying it's the way it is. I am curious about color cross talk and other weird things we never talk about, but I'll know more once I can spend a week with the camera.

I like seeing new sensor tech and track it closely all year long. One of the main reasons Foveon has yet to be implemented in a motion camera was mainly due to it's limitations in light gathering. But things have advanced much since their last attempt and I don't think I'd be afraid of an ISO 200-500 camera honestly if it had lovely color, but light gathering has increased and I'm betting they can do a few things to get that working. That's a whole different beast though with it's layer stack and I do wish they didn't market it the way they have in the past. Similar to Sony's F65 8K debacle, though a camera I enjoyed.

I personally think we're at the tip of the iceberg when it comes to wild sensor designs. Some of the stuff in the last 5 years that we have now is pretty amazing and most people don't even know what they are using. Curious what the heck this decade drops. Something occurred to me a bit ago in the mid 2010s when Canon was working on multi-layer sensors and there's been some other new developments. I'm actually painfully excited about what and where some of that potential leads. We're dangerously close to something all image makers would want.
    Well said, Phil.

And thanks to popping over to DVXUser to give us your wisdom as well!!
    Matt Gottshalk, DP
    Emmy Award winning Editor
    http://www.mcgeedigitalmedia.com
    https://vimeo.com/86056260

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Barden View Post
    Many thanks for these John. The images look beautiful! And it's great to be able to see the 4K 220fps Super16 crop, which from your video looks like it holds up well. Us natural history cameramen will be very interested in that feature.

I'd be interested to know if anyone could hazard a guess how they think this camera may perform in low light given what we know about the sensor. I know it's not dual ISO, but would a 12K sensor likely make much difference for noise in low light? I noticed in Davinci Resolve that the ISO control on the 12K raw footage seems to top out at 3200ISO so presumably that's as high as it goes.
    Yeah I think ISO 3200 will be the upper limit. I'm sure with some clever NR, because of the smaller noise size and extra resolution you can more aggressively NR without as much of a sharpness hit, but nothing's for free.

BTW, in Resolve, as well as ISO you can use the "exposure" in the RAW tab to also go + or - 5 stops. It's the same "control" as ISO... So you can have ISO 3200 (+2) and then add +5 stops to be ISO 102 400 if you really want to try it...

So far though for me it's been similar to the G2 in low light. I've only had the more final hardware a couple of days and I can see the noise has improved a lot over the samples I've already posted.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

I've always found 3200 on my Ursa Pro G1 very usable. You just can't push it any further without FPN.

I'm not sure if you can answer this John, but does the new sensor suffer FPN, or is underexposure noise non fixed pattern?

Thanks, camera and your shots are looking amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Pearson View Post
    I've always found 3200 on my Ursa Pro G1 very usable. You just can't push it any further without FPN.

I'm not sure if you can answer this John, but does the new sensor suffer FPN, or is underexposure noise non fixed pattern?

Thanks, camera and your shots are looking amazing.
    I just did a few tests for noise today, comparing to the G2 with the final hardware version that I have.

I would say that the noise performance / FPN is better than the G2. Up till today I’ve been shooting with earlier proto builds on not optimised hardware, so it wouldn’t be fair to judge.

But the noise is much better on the single copy with shipping hardware that I have now than what you’re seeing in the 12k images I’ve shot that are out in public right now.

JB
    John Brawley ACS
    Cinematographer
    Los Angeles
    www.johnbrawley.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    I just did a few tests for noise today, comparing to the G2 with the final hardware version that I have.

I would say that the noise performance / FPN is better than the G2. Up till today I’ve been shooting with earlier proto builds on not optimised hardware, so it wouldn’t be fair to judge.

But the noise is much better on the single copy with shipping hardware that I have now than what you’re seeing in the 12k images I’ve shot that are out in public right now.

JB
    Thanks John. Sounds great.

Heh, what did I say? Five?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkrdCsokbEU

Congrats to BM!

Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post

JB
    That's great to hear John. Thanks very much for sharing that info.

FPN, aliasing, and moire are my least favorite artifacts. If these are much improved, hooray!

BRAW Studio V2 for Adobe CC from Autokroma – Better than the Free BRAW Plugin?

By Cinema5D

Article
    https://www.cinema5d.com/braw-studio...e-braw-plugin/

BRAW Studio website
    https://www.autokroma.com/BRAW_Studio

YouTube

https://youtu.be/w4REl_U8K6c
    Last edited by rand thompson; 07-25-2020 at 05:19 PM.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Cadmium View Post
    I've been trying to figure out what it is about the footage from this camera that seems special. We've all seen higher resolution video downsized, extremely sharp lenses, etc., so I was trying to figure out what it is specifically about the sensor that is contributing to the uniqueness of the image. I believe I have it figured out.

This is the first time we have a pure black and white capture being used as the luma in a color image.

This sensor is not only 12K, it's also an 8.5K purely monochrome sensor.
    Probably the most insightful comment about this camera I have yet seen. I think you're onto something - and I suspect that there's no need for a monochrome version, save for the fact that you would gain more sensitivity from it.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)