Thread: What to charge client for Nationwide Commercial Broadcast Rights?

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 What to charge client for Nationwide Commercial Broadcast Rights? 
    Hopefully there is someone here who can help me out as this is alien territory to me, as I'm used to only working on local spots. Basically I made a commercial for a local company (writing, producing, directing etc.. etc..) that was initially intended as a YouTube commercial, but now they are considering airing it nationwide or at least in several other states for 3 months, and if I'm renegotiating new rates for some Cast members, Music, VO etc.. of which I have a fair idea of what should be charged, but when it comes to myself and some other crew members, I honestly have no idea. How would you budget a client to shoot a spot like this knowing upfront it was going to air nationwide?

This is the commercial, (Dragon 6K, Rokinon Cine DS) - https://vimeo.com/437674110

I've always kind of wanted to start a thread where people guess the budget of projects, or what they feel should have been charged, as I am constantly being told I am undercharging, yet I never get a clear answer of what I should charge and I'm sure there are others like me who don't live in a major hub out there who would love some friendly advice.

Thanks in advance for your time and opinion, it is greatly appreciated

TJ

Hmm. This is an interesting topic. Let me ask a few questions and then weigh in with my opinion.

When you made this commercial did they do a buy out? Who owns the footage? Was this a union or non-union job?

In my experience, the client, not the director, DP or production company, owns the footage. Typically only photographers retain the rights to their work. Commercials typically buy out the footage. This would have been discussed in your purchase order or contract.

Therefore, my opinion is this-

The commercial will cost more solely because you need to renegotiate talent fees and music fees, however, that’s the only additional payment you should see. Maybe pay yourself a day rate as a producer if you are the one responsible for renegotiating, but you shouldn’t ask for any more money for yourself or your crew just because the commercial may go to air UNLESS it was a union job. That’s because the scope and final deliverables have changed.

When you bid jobs, you estimate days that it’ll take to complete the job. Your grip shouldn’t make any more money just because the web commercial turned into a TVC. He or she worked their 10 hour day and have already been compensated. Same goes for all members of the crew.

It’s a real compliment that they like it and want to air it! Congrats! Make sure to pay yourself for the hassle of renegotiating contracts. ;)

Ah! I see you asked how to budget this BEFORE. My mistake. I’m going to leave my OG reply though. I would say if there is a feeling that you undercharged, then you probably did. My rate is my rate regardless of whether it goes straight to the web or TV. There are some circumstances where I can budge (multiple shoot days, friend rates and given an advanced heads up of a lower rate).

DM me if you want to discuss.