Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: Komodo REDCODE RAW Explained

Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Timmons View Post
    I grudgingly acknowledge that the industry seems to be going in the direction of DCT based schemes for compressed RAW.
    To me, Wavelet based compression has a much more organic quality to it's compression artifacts and naturally allowed for
    higher compression ratios.

I always considered the ease of playback to be a secondary issue as 1) many workflows still transcode to a more post friendly codecs like ProRes, DNx, DPX and 2)RED has already made a lot of progress getting better playback performance of the existing wavelet based REDCODE.

REDCODE already does what it needs to do as an acquisition (digital negative) format and it does it very well.

KOMODO is small(er), has great power consumption, and is apparently very quiet which are all excellent improvements.
    I understand that changing REDCODE to DCT is a trade off to achieve those qualities.

Given these accomplishments, Komodo will be great in many filming scenarios.

The one area that I think the new DCT based storage requirements can be an issue is documentary.
    It pains me to think that a 2 hour sit down interview can potentially burn well over 1TB of storage.
    And that is just for one camera.

This all compounds itself once storage and archive is in the mix.

It's scenarios like that where I hope RED considers refining the codec and perhaps offering alternative recording media (i.e CFAST adapters for SSD drives) to ease the data footprint.

Otherwise this camera has so many strengths.
    As impressive as BMDs 12k Ursa announcement was, I'm more excited with Komodo mainly because I can see where this camera can tangibly enhance, simplify, and modernize things for me on set.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    On the other hand, sitdown interviews is usually done in quite controlled enviorments so shooting raw in such situation is not always needed.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    On the other hand, sitdown interviews is usually done in quite controlled enviorments so shooting raw in such situation is not always needed.
    RAW shooting is like a way of life.
    In seriousness, it's true, technically speaking not everything has to be filmed RAW but shooting RAW is a big preference.

I also imagine dropping the resolution to 5k or 4k could also help control data rates.

Adapting some of the higher capacity desktop drives might help too.
    https://cinediskpro.com/cfast-to-ssd

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Timmons View Post
    RAW shooting is like a way of life.
    In seriousness, it's true, technically speaking not everything has to be filmed RAW but shooting RAW is a big preference.

I also imagine dropping the resolution to 5k or 4k could also help control data rates.

Adapting some of the higher capacity desktop drives might help too.
    https://cinediskpro.com/cfast-to-ssd

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    I Cant wait for more Cfst- SSD options.

4. #74 Pro Res Raw 
    And not to get too spicy, but yes, Apple has chosen a DCT scheme for their ProRes RAW
    Isn't Pro Res Raw something Atomos came to Apple to get licensed? Like Apple didn't invent Apple Pro Res Raw. It was an abstract out.