Thread: New to Red Ranger Gemini - General Shooting Advice for a Feature

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    I’m using IPP2. This is an in-camera feature, not post related as far as I know. It’s not metadata either, even though you probably can adjust exposure in post and achieve the same results.
    Last edited by Ignacio Aguilar; 12-28-2020 at 01:15 AM.
    Director of Photography
    www.harmonicarental.com

hello all,

thanks for the interesting information on the Gemini use, I have a DSMC2 Gemini, I am going to use it in changing light condition from day to night, filming wildlife in ambient light, so at some point in time I would have to change from normal to LL mode. I am wondering when and how to best make the transition from normal to LL mode and if that transition is seamless, ie would 1600 iso normal mode render the same image as 1600 iso LL mode ? Or would it be wiser to shoot everything in low light mode at the risk of compromizing the highlights earlier in the day.. Thanks

IMHO the low light mode is just for that, low light. That would rule out using it during the day, because you would compromise your highlights.

Standard mode offers about the same latitude above and below middle gray at 800 ISO, but LL mode offers more shadow detail and looses about 2 stops of highlight retention at the same ISO (i.e. 1600 standard mode vs. 1600 LL mode).

So I tend to think not only in terms of light levels, but also where I need the dynamic range to choose between standard or low light mode. If I have contrasty lighting conditions, but i'm going to be able to expose properly at 800 ISO, I'd stick to standard and pay attention to the traffic lights and noise bar.

But if I have a lot of dark areas and very few bright spots, I probably would prefer low light mode. If my problem is that I have low light levels and I can't add more light or open up the iris a bit more, I would choose low-light but at the lowest possible ISO that allows me an even histogram. 1600 to 2500 should be fine or workable if you don't underexpose.

In LL specially I would stay also somewhere between 3200 and 5600 kelvin, as color temperature affects noise in a very noticiable way. 5000 kelvin works best at that situation. I'll probably carry an 80C and 80D filters next time I have to use the Gemini in tungsten light (or if I want blue nights) to get the cleanest images.
    Director of Photography
    www.harmonicarental.com