Thread: Sony A7S III - Supreme Compact 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Sony A7S III - Supreme Compact 4K 
    Hey, everybody, in anticipation of the Sony A7S III announcement tomorrow, I decided to start this thread a little early with some of the rumored specs and thoughts on the potential impact it could have. So, as far as rumors go, we have this:

All new sensor
    12mp Stills
    4K 10-bit video
    4K 120fps & 1080P 240fps high speed options
    External 16-bit RAW video option
    Possibly only up to 4K 60p at 10-bit when recording internally
    Almost non-existent rolling shutter
    Still famously awesome in low light compared to anything else
    Unlimited 4K recording due to advanced cooling system

Now, that’s just some highlights of the rumored specs as there’s also things on the high res EVF and battery stuff but I wanted to focus on image specs. Going from my experience with my original Sony A7S, I can see this being the camera I had hoped it was at the beginning. I love the E-Mount system, the compact size, the great low light performance, and working with the camera. The only thing I miss from my Canon 5D Mark II is the 10x focus zoom for absolute accurate focusing and, of course, the 21mp still photo capability. Still, this sounds like an awesome camera for video and really would be my choice over a lot of the competition out there. Depending on what I would be doing, a Pocket 6K or even one of the 6K or 8K ZCams would still be in the running but because of the low light performance, mirrorless lens mount, and full frame sensor, it would be a close fight despite the resolution and RAW differences. That brings us to Komodo, which brings a lot of features to the table itself but the only determining factor seems to be price and, once again, low light performance. Granted, we’re heading towards an 8K (and now 12K) production environment but a specialized 4K camera as a last hurrah could be useful nonetheless. Unless Sony surprises us with a higher resolution camera than the rumors suggest, what do you all think about the Sony A7S III so far?

Can’t ignore a 12k camera, for $10,000. The end.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Can’t ignore a 12k camera, for $10,000. The end.
    but that's two totally different things.
    and the thread should be about the Sony A7S III and not the Blackmagic.

I guess the A7S will come somewhere around 3500 - 4000 Dollar - so that's less then half the price.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Just as I suspected might happen: Sony showed its competitors how it's done. Lots of people would really like a body like this to use with rangefinder lenses. I won't be buying any more equipment this year, regardless of how much I might want to.

The only possible flaw is no internal 4K120. However, that might be possible in 8-bit. We will see.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Does it still overheat (like the A7mkIII) when shooting with an 24-70 G lens more than 45 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack Birlew View Post
    Unlimited 4K recording due to advanced cooling system

In one video they say the limit is at 1 hour when recording 4k 120p...

I wonder for 4k 25p.

Pat

Embargo lifts in a few hours, so answers to a few of those questions shortly. Just can't dive in yet.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Having watched the leaked video the 7sIII is a seriously professional upgrade worthy of attention. I got rid of my sII a while back.

They've focused on what matters for pro shooters

- Rolling shutter
    - Recording what the sensor can actually do, no compromise
    - Even better noise performance
    - 60p 16bit RAW over HDMI (when there's a recorder)
    - Some really genuinely useful AF and tracking work
    - IBIS and also an enhanced IBIS for movies
    - Claims of 15 stops range

Sure, it's just 4K, but a 4K where every pixel counts.

I have no interest in the BMD because the dynamic range doesn't look to be any different.

In day to day shooting one of the nicest things about the Red is the range, i can expose easier and not have to worry about constantly riding ISO or whatever. I can just expose like film. It's just not the pixels that matter, it's the range.

Most of the options out there - sigma fp, panasonic, nikon, canon - they're all hovering around the same tech and range (12ish stops) as the sensors they are using are all hobbled at 12 bit RAW movie mode. I can get some stunning images out of the sigma - but i have to be so much more careful with it.

BMD may be different but i am understanding that the 12mp is still around the same as previous generations?

Red and Komodo are different. And it appears so is this Sony.

Whilst i won't be lining up for one (i think Komodo makes more sense as a B Cam for me) i can appreciate they've done a really solid job across the board but i suspect the internet will meh that one because there's no stand out marketing led feature...

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Just as I suspected might happen: Sony showed its competitors how it's done. Lots of people would really like a body like this to use with rangefinder lenses. I won't be buying any more equipment this year, regardless of how much I might want to.

The only possible flaw is no internal 4K120. However, that might be possible in 8-bit. We will see.
    Problem with previous Sonys is that the OLPF they use is quite thick and really doesn't gel well with rangefinder wide lenses. The difference on say the 28mm cron is quite apparent.

I don't know that the 7sIII would be any different - great if it was.

I thought i did see 120p internal 4K?

Kindest
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    Problem with previous Sonys is that the OLPF they use is quite thick and really doesn't gel well with rangefinder wide lenses. The difference on say the 28mm cron is quite apparent.
    Not just the low pass filter, but the physical shape and design of the microlenses on the sensor itself.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon