Thread: Sony A7S III - Supreme Compact 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    It is all here, all you need to do is to read it.
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/07/...-alpha-7s-iii/

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Did they do it well?

*snickers*
    Huh? Any reason why you're being so mean without any substantiation, Phil?

Blackmagic did a great job. They got great footage out and ZERO leaks. And John Brawley and Kholi posting solidly here and on DVXuser answering questions.

This Sony and Canon releases seemed good to me too (although there were weird leaks in contrast to Blackmagic's). The camera's not for me (falls between the category of "camera my DP would rent" and "camera I want to own personally") but we can appreciate some hard work went into them and there is good clear info out there.

By contrast, KOMODO is really unclear - it's not even on RED.com's site. I understand that's their marketing strategy and you are a big part of it (without your posts on REDUSER I would be totally lost) but I currently personally have zero interest in the KOMODO until RED actually puts all the details up on their site and signals that it's out of beta. Again personal preference but to me of all of the manufacturers Blackmagic wins for least leaks and certainly if they can ship on time they get "most improved" (I remember the terrible wait for the 4.6k - I was on the list for so long and then gave up and bought an a7r2 instead!).

Otherwise - looking forward to 2021 and seeing how all of the other manufacturers respond! A7s3 missed the boat (no anamorphic modes or monitoring, no internal ND, no timecode, would have loved a little more resolution on sensor or some quad-Bayer cleverness) but interested in Sony's future cameras that have that improved EVF and menu system though (and they'll probably have the same or similar updated video architecture, the old was pretty ancient).

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    Seems slightly 'too little, too late' to me. 12mp isn't good enough for professional stills
    Are you kidding me, bro. Seriously. Those are quality photosites on that sensor. I could shoot almost any job with this camera. The only thing I wouldn't shoot with it would be architecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Allen View Post
    A7s3 missed the boat (no anamorphic modes or monitoring, no internal ND, no timecode, would have loved a little more resolution on sensor or some quad-Bayer cleverness)
    How are they going to fit internal NDs in that body? But you are right about anamorphic mode - it's a noticeable omission. I slightly agree about resolution, because ideally it should have been 4.6K. It's still a more compelling choice than anything Canon makes, but that's in the VV category. The S1H is certainly no slouch, although its AF is CD only.

This camera can do things that Micro 4/3 can't, but it's also true that the Micro 4/3 cameras have their own advantages.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Are you kidding me, bro. Seriously. Those are quality photosites on that sensor. I could shoot almost any job with this camera. The only thing I wouldn't shoot with it would be architecture.
    I'm no resolution snob but 12mp Bayer doesn't cut it for the stills I like to take. The resolution (especially considering it is Bayer and has gone through an OLPF) is too low. I mean maybe if you get lucky with Topaz Gigapixel but, uh sometimes I like to print stuff.

I direct promos - last one I did, I took a short lunch and helped the stills team with my little Fuji X-T3. Some elements may end up on a giant billboard. 26mp works, 12mp does not - again this is just for me!

Also sometimes I VFX supervise at the same time as directing so I may shoot some plates. 4K plates aren't good if your delivery is 4K. You want a little higher res... 6K is fine. Same thing shooting HDRs - 12mp is not enough.

How are they going to fit internal NDs in that body?
    I would be OK with the body being a bigger since it's a video-only camera - the a7s3 is so small that the "bigger" version with internal ND would probably still be smaller than the S1H :)

Again to me making it 12mp means they're giving up on stills... so why not just do a little bigger body and add ND, etc? But others may think differently of course!

I actually think Komodo / Z-Cam / form factor would be nice for this. Imagine if that cool new high-res EVF that is sadly glued into the center of the camera for historical reasons (just following SLR convention) were detachable? Yes, I know I'm describing something that's basically a mini-FX9 :)

But Fujifilm explored some interesting things - https://www.fujirumors.com/fujifilm-...uture-reality/

But you are right about anamorphic mode - it's a noticeable omission. I slightly agree about resolution, because ideally it should have been 4.6K. It's still a more compelling choice than anything Canon makes, but that's in the VV category. The S1H is certainly no slouch, although its AF is CD only.
    Yes I 100% agree the real winning proposition for this Sony a7s3 is something like shooting docs where that AF is incredibly useful. I'm just not shooting any of those right now.

Or maybe you're trying to shoot some Safdie Brothers madness and you don't have like a full Preston Light ranger... still think I'd rather be on a Canon C300 mk3 for autofocus but maybe a7s3 would be a good C-cam.

This camera can do things that Micro 4/3 can't, but it's also true that the Micro 4/3 cameras have their own advantages.
    Ah, haven't used a Micro 4/3 camera in ages... why do you still use it? I'm interested!

BTW, what's your bet that inside this is a 48mp quad bayer hard-wired to 12mp mode? Would explain the latitude if some of the pixels were at different sensitivities similar to Alexa / Canon dual-gain.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

Blackmagic did a great job. They got great footage out and ZERO leaks. And John Brawley and Kholi posting solidly here and on DVXuser answering questions.

Very much agreed.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Canon/Sony cameras plays out. July has certainly been exciting in terms of releases so far.
    Last edited by Note Suwanchote; 07-28-2020 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Quotes!

[QUOTE=Note Suwanchote;1906304]
    Very much agreed.

It’ll be interesting to see how the Canon/Sony cameras plays out. July has certainly been exciting in terms of releases so far.
    Thanks buddy! I agree.

Also two more thoughts...

1. Do either the a7s3 or R5 support LUTs? I just saw S-Log3 conversion / preview... it'd be crazy if in the year 2020 a $250 monitor from a company called FEELWORLD can support custom 3D LUTs but a $3500 camera from Sony can't!

2. Of course there is also the humor of the a7s3 having a flippy screen for video... but is that screen is super low res and seems to be 4:3 or 3:2?! And although you can see the 3:2 area of the sensor in stills mode, you can't record it, you're stuck with 16x9, it's kind of a joke :)

In my world, open gate Alexa LF is a blessing because often we sometimes need to do an Instagram 1x1 auxiliary version!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

[QUOTE=Bruce Allen;1906309]
    Quote Originally Posted by Note Suwanchote View Post

Thanks buddy! I agree.

Also two more thoughts...

1. Do either the a7s3 or R5 support LUTs? I just saw S-Log3 conversion / preview... it'd be crazy if in the year 2020 a $250 monitor from a company called FEELWORLD can support custom 3D LUTs but a $3500 camera from Sony can't!

2. Of course there is also the humor of the a7s3 having a flippy screen for video... but is that screen is super low res and seems to be 4:3 or 3:2?! And although you can see the 3:2 area of the sensor in stills mode, you can't record it, you're stuck with 16x9, it's kind of a joke :)

In my world, open gate Alexa LF is a blessing because often we sometimes need to do an Instagram 1x1 auxiliary version!

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv
    Do any A7s support anamorphic? You can still shoot just not unsqueezed?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Do any A7s support anamorphic? You can still shoot just not unsqueezed?
    Unlike Panasonic, Sony has never supported either picture desqueeze nor any anamorphic aspect ratios in their DSLRs.

Of course that didn't stop some Reduser folks like Matt Uhry from shooting great stuff on an a7r2 in anamorphic mode with an external monitor!

But yeah you have to hack it. 5+ years ago that was fine! Now that Panasonic has already been doing it (on GH series and the S1H, a DSLR with a Sony sensor, no less!), I'd expect Sony to match that on their "video-oriented" $3500 12mp DSLR.

Bruce Allen
    www.bruceallen.tv

The camera seems pretty great for the cost and updates. I preordered one just to have it be a backup and travel camera. Of course bigger jobs you would want to rent an Alexa, Venice, Red, 16mm, 35mm. But I think we got to give props for what Sony has accomplished in their tiny camera without a fan. Lot of powerful small options available to us at cost effective prices
    Motion Pictures and Film Professional