Thread: Sony A7S III - Supreme Compact 4K

Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffery Anderson View Post
    I think they've done some things correct with the FX9, which is also Full Frame and has amazing autofocus

the A7siii is a 4K sensor, FX9 has a 6K sensor... it might be the same as the FX9 and Alister explains the different modes here:
    http://www.xdcam-user.com/2019/12/mo...9s-scan-modes/
    So FX9 works like an A7MK3 when shooting normal and slowmo.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    You’re correct, no DCI 4K for now in the Sony A7s3. But apparently it can do UHD 4:2:2 10bit internal at all frame rates, 24,30,60,120p, plus undercranking, with only a minimal 1.1x crop in 120p. Full scan readout of the sensor in all modes, with very low rolling shutter. Not sure what the codec is at 240p, just that it is HD. Apparently, it can also output 16-bit raw video over HDMI, though there is no recorder available that can handle it yet. Seems like a pretty big to me.
    Apologies, I was looking at the A7 III spec sheet. Wrong camera.

Still, not impressed with the overall DR or the way it handles blown highlights in samples so far.

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rasberry View Post
    Apologies, I was looking at the A7 III spec sheet. Wrong camera.

Still, not impressed with the overall DR or the way it handles blown highlights in samples so far.
    No worries. Yes, I think highlight rolloff is always a challenge with small mirrorless cameras. I guess we’ll see how much can be pulled from the S-Log3 in 10bit 422, and whether raising the ISO from the base settings can help with the roll-off, as it does with Sony Cinealta cameras. Since the noise performance is so good in underexposure, this may be a viable approach.

Still, if you’re comparing it to other cameras you might have used in the past at more expensive price points, I think it’s pretty darn good. I’d look at these cameras more like a B or C camera that you can quickly grab to get a POV or gimbal shot, or when you might need the autofocus for a tracking shot. The low-light night performance alone would make it so useful to me in documentary situations. There have been a number of times when I’ve had to tell the director, sorry, too dark we can’t shoot anymore. And countless other times when I’ve seen some beautiful light with the naked eye in the middle of the night and don’t have a camera that can capture it. This sort of puts us back into still photo long exposure territory for capturing moving images. So it’s an interesting tool to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki Murashige View Post
    You’re correct, no DCI 4K for now in the Sony A7s3. But apparently it can do UHD 4:2:2 10bit internal at all frame rates, 24,30,60,120p, plus undercranking, with only a minimal 1.1x crop in 120p. Full scan readout of the sensor in all modes, with very low rolling shutter. Not sure what the codec is at 240p, just that it is HD. Apparently, it can also output 16-bit raw video over HDMI, though there is no recorder available that can handle it yet. Seems like a pretty big to me.
    The raw video will be able to be recorded by the Atomos Ninja V. It will be able to take the 16-bit linear raw and record it as a 12-bit log ProRes Raw file, up to at least 4K 60fps:

https://www.atomos.com/cameras/sony-a7siii

I posted a link to a video of some of the ProRes Raw footage in post 16.

Senior Member Satsuki Murashige's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuks Ude View Post
    The raw video will be able to be recorded by the Atomos Ninja V. It will be able to take the 16-bit linear raw and record it as a 12-bit log ProRes Raw file, up to at least 4K 60fps:

https://www.atomos.com/cameras/sony-a7siii

I posted a link to a video of some of the ProRes Raw footage in post 16.
    Good to know, thanks!

I own the A7R III, and I have to say that it's not the camera I love most, but it's darn useful-- small, IBIS, batteries last a long time, XLR in/wireless in with a hot shoe attachment, can stick it on a prosumer slider without extra support. And so I think this new camera looks like a bunch more of a good thing. The biggest drawback to the A7R is that the I often wish I could push the footage a little more, as it really suffers if I don't nail exposure (typical example: underexposing to protect highlights usually means wonky skin tones). I'd think that maybe the 4:2:2 10-bit mode on the new camera could really help.

I'm not sure all the spec-based comparisons to other cameras make sense to me. For the way I'd use it, the A7S III is not a direct competitor to Komodo, because the main reason to own a Komodo for me would be to trade some convenience for no-compromise visual quality. (While still being cheaper, more portable, and less power hungry than a standard cinema camera.) But there are definitely times when they'd overlap-- I could see taking either on a scout, on the one hand, or for a personal project like interviewing a relative or something. But the Komodo for me would probably want more rigging and a nearby laptop to offload those big files...

Probably Komodo will be available before A7s3... Who knows ;-)

Moonwalk: A Sony Alpha Film | Sony a7S III

By Sony I Alpha Universe

Sony A7s III - No Limits 4K by Jacques Crafford

By Jacques Crafford

PB Review part 1+2.

https://vimeo.com/444338470

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    So FX9 works like an A7MK3 when shooting normal and slowmo.
    A7siii is Full Frame 4K resolution, which is similar to the Alexa in pixel pitch... no, the FX9 has a full read of the 6K sensor and downsamples in-camera to 4K

going to have to be a throw down on any camera that can be used in a Ronin-S -- Test Color space/accuracy, Dynamic Range and Sharpness
    I have to try and change the landscape, whatever it is.
    -Robert Plant