Thread: The Ultimate Full Frame Lens Test

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Lochert View Post
    thank you!

Thanks for this great test. Love it.

One question : when you do the pan to check the distrotion, loss of light and loss of sharpness in the edges, it look to me that the lens is not on the nodal point of the lens and we shift focus due to the camera/lens displacement.
    Is it so?

Thanks

Patrick

Phil, do you have a sample test of the Otus lenses?

Thanks

Patrick

Hey Patrick

I would be blown away if they placed the entrance pupil of each lens on the centre of rotation. I have done this on a couple of very simple lens tests but it was a real chore and took too much time..

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Thanks for this great test. Love it.

One question : when you do the pan to check the distrotion, loss of light and loss of sharpness in the edges, it look to me that the lens is not on the nodal point of the lens and we shift focus due to the camera/lens displacement.
    Is it so?

Thanks

Patrick

Youtube Page for all of the lenses from "The Ultimate Full Frame Lens Test" by ShareGrid

https://www.youtube.com/c/ShareGrid/...01&app=desktop

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    Hey Patrick

I would be blown away if they placed the entrance pupil of each lens on the centre of rotation. I have done this on a couple of very simple lens tests but it was a real chore and took too much time..
    If lens manufacturers published this data (how many mm from sensor place to entrance pupil) it would be trivial for AC to adjust camera position on tripod to the correct location when they are locking down the dovetail.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Yes I agree I wish they all* would publish entrance (and exit) pupil positions relative to film plane....but it also assumes the entrance pupil stays in same place from min to infinity (which is not always the case?)...

It isn’t that slow to find it within 10mm or so accuracy BUT I found when testing having the camera so unbalanced on the head was causing me other issues in keeping things ‘like for like’.... (now I think about it it could easily be done and next time I test I will just have some weights handy to balance the camera another way...

Also to note I wasn’t saying it wouldnt be great if this test was conducted around the entrance pupils just I had sympathy with the reasons why one may not do this...

*Arri and Cooke have always give over this data

Ps just because the entrance pupil is so important in optics and lens evaluation this easy to read artical might help someone..

https://ascmag.com/blog/shot-craft/t...il-of-the-lens

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    If lens manufacturers published this data (how many mm from sensor place to entrance pupil) it would be trivial for AC to adjust camera position on tripod to the correct location when they are locking down the dovetail.

interesting test...will be immensely useful.
    I wish the share grid quad screen didn't waste so much real estate with the large borders, would be far more useful with larger images and a smaller play button that doest get in the way. Otherwise a priceless tool.

Thanks to all involved!
    www.digitalfx.tv

Twitter
    Instagram

RED One #83
    RED CF Monstro 8K VV
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium
    RED CF Weapon 8K S35 Helium

V.Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
    interesting test...will be immensely useful.
    I wish the share grid quad screen didn't waste so much real estate with the large borders, would be far more useful with larger images and a smaller play button that doest get in the way. Otherwise a priceless tool.

Thanks to all involved!