Thread: The Cameras Behind 72nd Emmy Awards’ Outstanding Cinematography Nominees:

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Cameras Behind 72nd Emmy Awards’ Outstanding Cinematography Nominees: 
    The Cameras Behind 72nd Emmy Awards’ Outstanding Cinematography Nominees: Sony VENICE Leads the way.

https://ymcinema.com/2020/07/30/the-...leads-the-way/

Congrats to Sony's marketing department on the article.

BTW, since the PV DXLs are essentially upfitted RED Monstros, noting RED as "coming in last" is - ahh - creative...

I have tremendous respect for Panavision and the ecosystem they created to yield consistent results from their implementation of RED's Monstro sensor. I suppose we could have a lengthy thread on who is most deserving of credit for the DXL platform. IMHO, the combination of each company's core strengths in creating the DXL has yielded a fantastic camera.

IAC, all of the cameras on the list are up to the task - the real differentiator is talent and skill... but it's fun to watch the vendor pissing contest ;-)

Cheers - #19

Blair,

I personally believe it's more of a happenstance than any real trend, the nominations were based on the creative talent behind the series more than the camera sensor used. It's kinda like establishing a causal relationship between , for example, if 6 of the nominees came from New Jersey that New Jersey is now the new "Hot Spot" for Television Series creative talent.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 07-31-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Most interesting:

Ozark: DP Armando Salas, ASC and DP Ben Kutchins. Camera: Sony VENICE. Lenses: Leica R (rehoused)
    Second most interesting:

Westworld: Paul Cameron, ASC. Camera: Sony VENICE and ARRICAM. Lenses: ZEISS Supreme and ARRI Master Prime.
    Noteworthy: barely one 35mm production in this list, and no 16mm. Although I don't doubt that other productions are using film as well.

A total of six lens manufacturers are represented, which makes sense as lenses are easier to make and sell than cameras are. (Try naming all the lens manufacturers off the top of your head). If I wanted to, right now, I could market my own lens set that isn't made of rehoused SLR lenses. It would be crap, but I could do it without spending too much money. I'm very surprised that there isn't yet more diversity in lens choice.

Where are the Cine Altas, the Tokinas, the Sigmas, the Blackwings, the Bell & Howells, the Canon FDs, the Hawks, the Rokinons etc? At least Kowa got up there. And we see the Leica Rs there, too. Yes, all those lenses are no doubt used in other productions but I wonder if most of the top productions are being too... 'safe' with their choices.

In the future you're going to see hybrid DSLMs in that mix, starting with the A7S III. I mean, that camera is seriously not a joke, unlike the previous ones. It's a dead serious tool, for both stills and motion (it's virtually a DSMC!). Find me a more capable hybrid camera under $10,000. You're also going to see the Komodo there, too. Who knows, maybe it will swamp everything else...
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    The Cameras Behind 72nd Emmy Awards’ Outstanding Cinematography Nominees: Sony VENICE Leads the way.

https://ymcinema.com/2020/07/30/the-...leads-the-way/

Looks more like a tie: 5 Venice / 5 Alexa but whatever. Leica Rs = sooooo siiiick.
    Adrian Jebef
    DIT
    www.jebefcorp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Jebef View Post
    Looks more like a tie: 5 Venice / 5 Alexa but whatever. Leica Rs = sooooo siiiick.
    And if you go by manufacturer instead of individual camera model, Arri won outright. Five Alexa's and 35mm film.

4 Red sensors and tech ;-)

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    And if you go by manufacturer instead of individual camera model, Arri won outright. Five Alexa's and 35mm film.
    I guess so, but then again ARRI needed three models, whereas Sony needed only one. ;-)
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    4 Red sensors and tech ;-)
    7 ARRI Alev-III sensors since the Alexa LF stitches two together...
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    7 ARRI Alev-III sensors since the Alexa LF stitches two together...

;-) Should we make the pixel count? RED pixels would winn ;-)