Thread: Komodo AF - > Motorized Follow Focus

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andreas Gotfredsen View Post
    Either this exist or no one have been crazy enough yet to make it yet ...

Say you only have cine lenses but want to utilise the Komodo AF ...

Are there or will it be possible to make some sort of solution that will let the Komodo AF control a motorized follow focus ?
    Asked about this a while back when Red announced the AF function on Komodo. Got told it's too slow a method. Perhaps it is, but it is still well worth it in my opinion. Cine-glass is expensive and better for a reason and just imagine putting a MasterPrime on the Komodo and having it working with autofocus.
    The request have been for a while in the industry to make motorized Cine-lenses, but no one ever seem to make it, not with the lenses people want to use at least. Since it never seems to happen, I'm putting my faith into an external gear motor for AF instead.

The absolute essential part of this would be to have a motor that works with AF and remote focus at the same time. Imagine a handheld scene where pulling focus is hard but the AF works in tandem with the remote focus, so that the focus puller can do the key storytelling racks while the AF works to keep the focus where it landed.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

Quote Originally Posted by Ale Houston View Post
    Hi Michael! The thing is I don't own a Bolt jejeje. That's why i was asking if the AF system in Komodo could be responsive enough to make movements like the ones programable with Bolt, but hand held or with other grip equipment, without missing focus on the subject.
    Please understand that tracking focus because of random hand-held whip pans is a completely different problem space than controlling focus in a Bolt (or Bolt-like) programmed motion scenario. If you want to know the answer to the hand-held question, ask about hand-held. If you have a specific motion-control platform question, ask about that. The more specific your question, the more specific the answer, for better or worse.

To answer your question in all generality: is the Komodo AF system responsive enough for any conceivable scenario? Answer: it depends.
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    Please understand that tracking focus because of random hand-held whip pans is a completely different problem space than controlling focus in a Bolt (or Bolt-like) programmed motion scenario. If you want to know the answer to the hand-held question, ask about hand-held. If you have a specific motion-control platform question, ask about that. The more specific your question, the more specific the answer, for better or worse.

To answer your question in all generality: is the Komodo AF system responsive enough for any conceivable scenario? Answer: it depends.
    I don't think the scenario makes any difference for PD based auto focus. It's either responsive and precise enough or it's not. The AF does not know what scenario it's in....
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Andersen View Post
    it's too bad my Latitude MDR won't work with Komodo
    Really? Why not? That right there is a deal breaker for me. Seems absolutely backwards that one would put so much time into making a camera thats mainly good for gimbal use and not build it so things like latitude MDR would work.
    Daniel Kelly Brown
    www.danielkellybrown.com

I asked Teradek RT they said they are working on MDR / CTRL support for Komodo. So unless you've heard recently that it can't work I'd assume they will get it going at some point.
    Last edited by Michael Winokur; 08-19-2020 at 03:21 PM.
    Epic Dragon #4048

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Kelly Brown View Post
    Really? Why not? That right there is a deal breaker for me. Seems absolutely backwards that one would put so much time into making a camera thats mainly good for gimbal use and not build it so things like latitude MDR would work.
    Slow down there. The issue was whether the Komodo's built in auto-focus could drive an external focus motor. That is not supported on Komodo, or any other camera system I'm aware of. Internal AF has been limited to lenses that have their own motors inside the housing and the necessary pins/protocols to comply.

FWIW, I've been campaigning for cine lenses with their own built in motors for years. External FIZ systems have their place, but for a lot of scenarios they're a PITA. Cables to route, power taps, motors slipping off the gears, cost, etc. Stills lenses with internal motors are designed to respond quickly so they can grab focus before you snap, which can be jarring in motion work. What would rock is purpose built internal motors geared for smooth response. Ideally such a system could match the precision and feel of an external FIZ, with the bonus of being able to use camera generated AF when desired.

Cheers - #19

You know I would much rather see more cine lenses with internal motors than new ways to control external motors.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

this is good to hear. I was told that the CTRL port on Komodo is different than DSMC2 and so things like the MDR Latitude, run stop etc. don't function as they should. This of course surprised me, I'm not sure why it would change. Did Teradek say they are working making existing gear work with Komodo or developing new gear?
    Silver Lake Studios Inc.
    Film Production and Stock Footage
    Rentals and other goodies at
    www.utahcinevideo.com
    www.slsfilm.com

I just re-read the post I was referencing. It seems that there are significant differences in the ctrl port between Komodo and DSMC but they are investigating. Hopefully that, means it's a challenge not an impossibility. I'm sure we are not alone in having switched to Teradek RT because of mdr / red integration.
    Epic Dragon #4048