Thread: Sirui anamorphic on Komodo ?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sirui anamorphic on Komodo ? 
    It is an anamorphic lens which is not perfect but given the price and the small size it would be interesting to test it on Komodo.

It does not exist in RF or EF mount. It is Micro 4/3 mount. They sell optional E, EF-M, Z lens mounts adapter rings to screw on the original lens mount.
    I was wondering if you know what would be the best way to adapt it.
    it is designed for APS-C but compatible S-35 i believe. i wonder if it vignetting on Komodo...

Thank you :)
    Scarlet-W and soon Komodo !

Yeah I’d be interested to see if there’s a way to get it on Komodo.

I asked Sirui if there was an EF or RF Mount version in the works, they said they’re considering it. But they say that to everyone. There is a big interest for EF in these lenses.

Aps-c is S35mm give or take a little. The mount is physically restricting due to flange distance. It will cover the entire sensor + more actually. But no way to physically mate them. I really wish someone would come up with a removable M4/3 mount for the Komodo. Swapping out the RF would I’m sure void warranty, and there’s electronics that would have to be detached, but it would open up a world of great m4/3 glass including lots of affordable anamorphic lenses. Kinda wish red stuck with the practice
    Of making their mounts completely removable. But I get why cost wise they didn’t.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: Arri Alexa XR 4:3 PLUS, RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Quote Originally Posted by RaphaŽl_FR View Post
    It is an anamorphic lens which is not perfect but given the price and the small size it would be interesting to test it on Komodo.

It does not exist in RF or EF mount. It is Micro 4/3 mount. They sell optional E, EF-M, Z lens mounts adapter rings to screw on the original lens mount.
    I was wondering if you know what would be the best way to adapt it.
    it is designed for APS-C but compatible S-35 i believe. i wonder if it vignetting on Komodo...

Thank you :)
    I just don’t understand why these companies go though all the trouble of designing a lens from the ground up, even having it cover way beyond s35mm image circle, and then put the most restrictive and least used mount in the industry on it! Such a waste and completely limiting their market.

Even Sony E mount is used more than m4/3. But it just makes no sense to me for them to go through the very expensive process of designing and manufacturing a lens, only to not put the most popular mounts on it, design the flange with EF in mind and you’ve got a huge market.
    Cinematographer and gaffer for 16 years. Working in TV and feature films.

Authorized dealer for over 100 brands of Audio / Video gear and accessories including Teradek, Vazen, Tokina, AngelBird, Black Magic Design, Oconnor, Anton Bauer, SmallHD, Steadicam, Litepanels, Sachtler, and more!

GEAR: Arri Alexa XR 4:3 PLUS, RED Komodo Stormtrooper, Cooke 20-100, RED Pro Primes, RED 17-50.

Reels and info:
    www.NYCinematography.com

CEO of sales company:
    www.EverestStudios.TV

Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    I just donít understand why these companies go though all the trouble of designing a lens from the ground up, even having it cover way beyond s35mm image circle, and then put the most restrictive and least used mount in the industry on it! Such a waste and completely limiting their market.

Even Sony E mount is used more than m4/3. But it just makes no sense to me for them to go through the very expensive process of designing and manufacturing a lens, only to not put the most popular mounts on it, design the flange with EF in mind and youíve got a huge market.
    There is an option for an E-mount adapter with this lens.

I bought mine with an E-mount on it.
    David Mullen, ASC
    Los Angeles
    http://www.davidmullenasc.com

There is something more interesting possible and coming. All I can say for now really.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    I just don’t understand why these companies go though all the trouble of designing a lens from the ground up, even having it cover way beyond s35mm image circle, and then put the most restrictive and least used mount in the industry on it! Such a waste and completely limiting their market.

Even Sony E mount is used more than m4/3. But it just makes no sense to me for them to go through the very expensive process of designing and manufacturing a lens, only to not put the most popular mounts on it, design the flange with EF in mind and you’ve got a huge market.
    I completely agree with you, I can imagine this is for user fee issues, requested by canon?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    There is something more interesting possible and coming. All I can say for now really.
    humm hum...you make you want to know more !
    Scarlet-W and soon Komodo !

From my understanding RF mount is slightly longer flange distance than E, M, or MFT (they're all ~18mm, while RF is ~20mm), so it might not be possible, unfortunately.

Too bad, too. I was very much hoping for an EF version announcement, but I don't think it's going to happen... I mean, $600 for s35 t1.8 anamorphic??!! That's crazy even if it's only 1.33x.

And everything I've seen suggests it performs much better than the more expensive SLR Magic anamorphics (which are t2.1).
    Last edited by Mike P.; 08-04-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Mullen ASC View Post
    I bought mine with an E-mount on it.
    How do you find the lens David? I’ve been curious.