Thread: Updated iMac 27" - Recommended Specs?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Updated iMac 27" - Recommended Specs? 
    Just looking at it - I know I'll get either the 1TB or 2TB and use externals primarily, but I'm lost a bit when it comes to spec'ing out the iMac for editing 6K + 8K R3Ds.

Rendering times in FCPX and other programs on my 2014 spec'd out iMac takes... a bit of time.

I'm just wondering if I need to go "max" for everything else if I'm just doing FCPX and various Motion projects?

Quote Originally Posted by BrendanLeahy View Post
    Just looking at it - I know I'll get either the 1TB or 2TB and use externals primarily, but I'm lost a bit when it comes to spec'ing out the iMac for editing 6K + 8K R3Ds.

Rendering times in FCPX and other programs on my 2014 spec'd out iMac takes... a bit of time.

I'm just wondering if I need to go "max" for everything else if I'm just doing FCPX and various Motion projects?
    Hey Brendan-
    You might lean more on getting the best GPU you can for your system.
    Both FCP X and Motion make heavy use of the GPU and it's perhaps the biggest
    spec that influences performance.

You might consider more ram for Motion if you need to render longer previews
    though Motion can play back a lot in real time.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

I have the 27" iMac Pro. It works pretty well but it is not optimized for Premiere Pro - some things happen much faster with FCPX. My reason for responding is to recommend that you buy a big enough hard drive. I have the 2 TB drive. I typically have 1 to 1.3 Tb of working space. Lately, one of my time-lapse projects ended up with 1.55 Tb of working files. These will all get deleted but I needed to move some of them to an external drive as I went full and the iMac ground to a halt. Buy a larger one than 2 Tb.

Hey Brian and Mark - thank you both for the guidance. I will spec out GPU and get something a bit bigger than 2TB, but leave RAM at 8GB so I can upgrade it myself (found an article saying I can get the 128GB ram myself and save hundreds of $$!)

Good info

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Senior Member Jacques Mersereau's Avatar
    [QUOTE=Brian Timmons;1907064]Good info
    Thanks Brad. Good info there.

Appears to be one of the better bang for the buck offerings from Apple in some time.

Cheers - #19

3.6GHz 10c i9/64G RAM/5700XT-16G/SSD 2TB
    I'd use those little T7 Samsung SSD drives and/or a RAID for media. I/O >1GB/s for reading DCT R3Ds in real time. (actual data rates still in dev, 800MB/s might be fine but I'm a headroom guy).
    For FCPX peeps who can't ROI a 7,1 MacPro - or don't want to take one on set - this could be the ticket. It's not as portable as a laptop, but there are some slick cases for transporting iMacs.
    It also looks like a good candidate for creatives who don't need a workstation, but do need enough resources to have a fluid user experience with most media. YMMV.

Cheers - #19

No doubt this new iMac has a nice amount of power and is a decent buy if someone really needs a system now.

Having said that, if someone can wait 4-12 months I think the Apple Silicon Macs sound like they might take computing on a Mac to another level.
    I truly did not realize just how much progress Apple made with their processors particularly how well they integrated dedicated hardware (neural engine, image processing, HEVC, etc) and the shared memory architecture between the CPU and GPU.

The unified memory architecture is similar to what SGI was doing back in the day.
    It's going to be an interesting couple of years with what Apple releases.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Found this teardown. Because there is no fusion or HDD, just an SSD soldered to the logic board now, they have a lot of dead space.

I'm a bit concerned from the last video you posted, Brian, regarding the cooling issues/throttling with the Intel chips on Macbook Pros, even though I know they fixed it in 2020. From what I've read, these new iMacs have kept a very similar internal layout to previous years, so it begs the question if they're going to handle i9 10-core processors as well?