Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED KOMODO vs GEMINI vs HELIUM COMPARISON

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Much thanks for posting this, Tim!

This is great , thanks Tim! Looking forward to the other tests.
    Omar Saad
    EPIC-X #1939
    Red #679 retired

Thank you for sharing Tim!
    Formerly known as "nutman"
    ||| RED ONE #1333 ||| Epic-X #1003 |||
    ||| RED Hydrogen Houdini #0034 Titanium #1014 |||
    H4Vuser

Great to see. But personally i find it impossible to make any real judgment between the three. One thing I do when comparing image qualites between cameras like this is to try find a part of the image that has a gradient preferably from no exposure to over exposure for all 3 cameras then zoom into it 1:1 or 1:1 of the lowest res / smallest of the sensor. Then I push iso to 12400 or such to get a closup of the different behaviors in the low end. Then do the oposite in highlights / push iso down to 50 iso to see how different they break in the highlights. As if looking on full images like this that is rather well exposed the differences are not really showing.

From looking at the Xlya sharts I seen posted I can only assume that the difference in DR between the 3 is so small it would be extremly difficult to notice on a somewhat descent exposed image without enhancing the differences.

Regarding color differences between the three I can only say I seen bigger variations between three monstros used with the exact same lens etc. Simply put, cameras vary slightly so if not balanced in post there is often variances between 2 of the exact same setups. You can always shoot a chart to balance on to get things lined up. But coments here like, komodo looks sligtly more blue etc. is what I see as difference found between any two cameras.Which is not a problem, easily sorted with rgb lift gamma gain in post.

So as I see it the 3 cameras comes with slightly different textures but you really have to crunch it to be noticible the rest is just color calibration.

Then ofcourse you got different resolution, sensor size global and none global shutter, possible framrates and all else things in the mix. But from what I seen so far, one thing is clear, komodo does not really stand any shorter then the other red cameras when it comes to DR and colors. So yes very possible to intercut them with each other without problems.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Thanks for sharing Tim... Cool stuff!!!
    Alain Maiki
    Director || Filmmaker
    epicinmotion.com
    alainmaiki.com
    IMDb Alain Maiki
    RED Helium 8K S35
    RED Komodo

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Great to see. But personally i find it impossible to make any real judgment between the three. One thing I do when comparing image qualites between cameras like this is to try find a part of the image that has a gradient preferably from no exposure to over exposure for all 3 cameras then zoom into it 1:1 or 1:1 of the lowest res / smallest of the sensor. Then I push iso to 12400 or such to get a closup of the different behaviors in the low end. Then do the oposite in highlights / push iso down to 50 iso to see how different they break in the highlights. As if looking on full images like this that is rather well exposed the differences are not really showing.

From looking at the Xlya sharts I seen posted I can only assume that the difference in DR between the 3 is so small it would be extremly difficult to notice on a somewhat descent exposed image without enhancing the differences.

Regarding color differences between the three I can only say I seen bigger variations between three monstros used with the exact same lens etc. Simply put, cameras vary slightly so if not balanced in post there is often variances between 2 of the exact same setups. You can always shoot a chart to balance on to get things lined up. But coments here like, komodo looks sligtly more blue etc. is what I see as difference found between any two cameras.Which is not a problem, easily sorted with rgb lift gamma gain in post.

So as I see it the 3 cameras comes with slightly different textures but you really have to crunch it to be noticible the rest is just color calibration.

Then ofcourse you got different resolution, sensor size global and none global shutter, possible framrates and all else things in the mix. But from what I seen so far, one thing is clear, komodo does not really stand any shorter then the other red cameras when it comes to DR and colors. So yes very possible to intercut them with each other without problems.
    Well said Bjorn. Hit the nail on the head. The most noticeable difference between the three to me are the slight differences introduced with higher resolution oversampling.

I'm so amazed that RED has been able to produce a GS camera with this kind of dynamic range! Unbelievable really..

And thanks for posting this! Must be a lot of work putting this together.

part 2 - ISO NOISE TEST is live and now added to the thread. Thank you for all of your feedback and support you guys! I am really thankful that everyone is enjoying these tests ... well, for the most part people are :)
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    KOMODO 6K #0011 "Tangie"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Daust View Post
    part 2 - ISO NOISE TEST is live and now added to the thread. Thank you for all of your feedback and support you guys! I am really thankful that everyone is enjoying these tests ... well, for the most part people are :)
    Holy cow! That was absolutely impressive (not to say unbelievable)! Thanks for all the effort you put into those comparison vids. Looking forward to the Low Light Comparison. BTW, did you also check the GEMINI in LL mode? I'd guess that Komodo wouldn't perform much worse than GEMINI @ LL...

Thank you very much Tim for the amazing work.
    And thank you for sharing all this with us.
    🧠+👁️+👂🏼+📹=...
    Documentary shaper, "that guy...".
    https://m.imdb.com/name/nm1523882/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0