Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED KOMODO vs GEMINI vs HELIUM COMPARISON

Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Daust View Post
    I was completely blown away by the results of this ISO NOISE TEST Comparison between the KOMODO, GEMINI, and HELIUM.
    That's putting it mildly. I didn't expect that Komodo would perform so much better at higher ISO's. I agree that I'd love to see how it stacks up to Gemini in low-light mode, but that's perhaps for another time. Thanks so much for the testing and sharing.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed" -- Stanley Kubrick

8K Weapon VV Monstro #1882 --Sus Volantes
    6K RED Epic-M

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Morrison View Post
    That Komodo is almost indistinguishable and has global shutter and no red orbs are all very good things.

Thanks for the test Tim.
    Not really. Helium and Gemini have finer image, less contrast and more filmic organic look. You can notice it on outside shots. Also colour is more refined.....

PART 2 - ISO NOISE TEST

all footage is straight out of camera
    IPP2 CHROMA NOISE REDUCTION (CNR) enabled on all 3 cameras
    RESOLVE CAMERA RAW DECODE QUALITY : FULL RES. PREMIUM

some perceived softness in the following test could be a
    result of critical focus variations not camera sharpness

I was completely blown away by the results of this ISO NOISE TEST Comparison between the KOMODO, GEMINI, and HELIUM. In tradition of the first part of this test, I will withhold sharing my opinion until after I have shared all of the parts of this series.

I have several more parts coming to this comparison test, the next video is the LOW LIGHT TEST comparison.
    Wow. Much better quality at high iso than I expected. Thanks for taking the time to post these Tim.

just to remind everyone because Ive had a few messages about it - All of these tests in the comparison series are shot with skintone highlight filter in the GEMINI & HELIUM. Only at the very beginning of the filming of the Dynamic range test did I try the standard OLPF. Knowing KOMODO is based off of skintone highlight I didnt see any reason to test with standard or lowlight OLPFs...

also another question and comments I've been getting is in regards to GEMINI low light mode. This test for me was about finding out how KOMODO compared to GEMINI & HELIUM. I dont think its fair to compare a feature that one camera has where the others don't. I also wouldnt expect KOMODO to out perform GEMINI in LL mode. Yes KOMODO has a global shutter, but that isnt a "feature" you can turn on or off like Low light mode. I approached this test with the intent of comparing KOMODO to my other two cameras because that was the question(s) I was fielding the most after receiving my KOMODO. It was more of a personal exploration of the differences between the cameras so that I could best answer questions (some of them very specific) about the subtle and not so subtle differences between the cameras/sensors. After I encountered some shocking revelations, I got pretty excited to share them. I decided to share these tests because seeing is believing. No amount of words, or ranting in front of the camera to you , or voice over, would ever convince you of something that showing you wouldnt do better/faster. Images speak for themselves.

Thanks for the support everyone. I hope you enjoy the rest.
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    KOMODO 6K #0011 "Tangie"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

Really appreciate the effort you put into these Tim. Thanks for doing them.

Thank you for those comparisons. They’re really useful

just to remind everyone because Ive had a few messages about it - All of these tests in the comparison series are shot with skintone highlight filter in the GEMINI & HELIUM. Only at the very beginning of the filming of the Dynamic range test did I try the standard OLPF. Knowing KOMODO is based off of skintone highlight I didnt see any reason to test with standard or lowlight OLPFs...

also another question and comments I've been getting is in regards to GEMINI low light mode. This test for me was about finding out how KOMODO compared to GEMINI & HELIUM. I dont think its fair to compare a feature that one camera has where the others don't. I also wouldnt expect KOMODO to out perform GEMINI in LL mode. Yes KOMODO has a global shutter, but that isnt a "feature" you can turn on or off like Low light mode. I approached this test with the intent of comparing KOMODO to my other two cameras because that was the question(s) I was fielding the most after receiving my KOMODO. It was more of a personal exploration of the differences between the cameras so that I could best answer questions (some of them very specific) about the subtle and not so subtle differences between the cameras/sensors. After I encountered some shocking revelations, I got pretty excited to share them. I decided to share these tests because seeing is believing. No amount of words, or ranting in front of the camera to you , or voice over, would ever convince you of something that showing you wouldnt do better/faster. Images speak for themselves.

Thanks for the support everyone. I hope you enjoy the rest.
    Cameras differ one from each other with features they have, not some ideas. Nobody will shoot more noisy material for the sake of experiment. It's a saint idea to use the best of possibility's the camera can do. If you going to move on with lowlight tests, maybe use all the range camera can shoot. It will be the same unfairness just to shoot 5K, just because one of the cameras shoots only this resolution.

PART 2 - ISO NOISE TEST

all footage is straight out of camera
    IPP2 CHROMA NOISE REDUCTION (CNR) enabled on all 3 cameras
    RESOLVE CAMERA RAW DECODE QUALITY : FULL RES. PREMIUM

some perceived softness in the following test could be a
    result of critical focus variations not camera sharpness

I was completely blown away by the results of this ISO NOISE TEST Comparison between the KOMODO, GEMINI, and HELIUM. In tradition of the first part of this test, I will withhold sharing my opinion until after I have shared all of the parts of this series.

I have several more parts coming to this comparison test, the next video is the LOW LIGHT TEST comparison.
    Fascinating. Love how well the Komodo image holds up at higher ISOs, especially at a chroma level. The color fidelity really holds, and when there is noise its quite fine and consistent (which makes it easier to work with). Impressive indeed.

Thanks again for the test Tim. Very helpful and generous of you.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

Looks to me like the Komodo is giving Gemini a problem..It looks better on all test so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron michaels View Post
    Looks to me like the Komodo is giving Gemini a problem..It looks better on all test so far.
    As stated above the other cameras where not shot to their full potential.

Using the skintone OLPF is far from ideal in low light. It brings out noise equal to stopping down more than a stop.
    Not using the LL feature on gemini is also adding to a few stops loss.
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro