Click here to go to the first RED TEAM post in this thread.   Thread: RED KOMODO vs GEMINI vs HELIUM COMPARISON

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    It's easy to like the Komodo maybe due to that it is more blue, thereby looking cleaner. From having used a lot of R3D media my experience is that they can be a bit green, that is not the case here. I didn't like the Gemini images. I don't think they are handling the incoming light well. In some cases I liked the Helium better than Komodo, but in other cases I liked Komodo best. Naturally theese are my personal thoughts, not an absolute judgement.

That Komodo is almost indistinguishable and has global shutter and no red orbs are all very good things.

Thanks for the test Tim.
    Nick Morrison
    Founder, Director & Lead Creative
    // SMALL GIANT //
    smallgiant.tv

The Komodo is looking fantastic and I think that it's a little more tuned to get rid of the green that I'm always dialing out just a smidge on the other RED sensors. That is my preference, but most shooters I know do the same.
    Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Justin McAleece
    Sigma Pro Primes and Video Production
    Justin at BLAREMedia dot net

Nice one Tim.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Komodo Colour is great and dynamic range is too. But it looks a little more like digital video than Gemini and helium. It’s a bit sharper too. I’ve noticed a slightly more digital video look to Most Komodo footage more then other red camera footage. Could it be the global shutter that’s forcing that effect? Reminds me a bit of 3ccd cameras. Obviously it’s a great camera and very impressive but it’s price point aims to be a cut away crash cam. The big red cinema cameras will give you a much more hearty cinematic look. Considering the price difference that makes sense. Still early days, but over the last two months Of footage, my first impressions is it’s great colour and dynamic range but slightly more digital video then bigger reds. BUT WAY better then Zcams, pocket BM and DSLRs.

Looking forward to more side by sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stanley View Post
    Komodo Colour is great and dynamic range is too. But it looks a little more like digital video than Gemini and helium. It’s a bit sharper too. I’ve noticed a slightly more digital video look to Most Komodo footage more then other red camera footage.
    Not to disagree, but until you actually have a Komodo R3D on your screen do you realize just how rich and thick of an image it produces. There is no sharpening in any Red cameras. Komodo footage looks like film, especially with the soft and very soft highlight roll off.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    Not to disagree, but until you actually have a Komodo R3D on your screen do you realize just how rich and thick of an image it produces. There is no sharpening in any Red cameras. Komodo footage looks like film, especially with the soft and very soft highlight roll off.
    Hope you’re right. At the moment it looks slightly more digital video on my tv compared to other RED footage. Especially in movement.

I didn't see it posted in the original notes, but are you using the same glass on all three cameras? I would assume so, but just checking.
    "If it can be written or thought, it can be filmed" -- Stanley Kubrick

8K Weapon VV Monstro #1882 --Sus Volantes
    6K RED Epic-M

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stanley View Post
    The big red cinema cameras will give you a much more hearty cinematic look. Considering the price difference that makes sense. Still early days, but over the last two months Of footage, my first impressions is it’s great colour and dynamic range but slightly more digital video then bigger reds.
    I'd recommend shooting something with more expensive glass than DSLR lenses. Most stuff out there right now are shot with cheap lenses, bad grading, unbalanced LUTs, weird shutter speeds, unbalanced shadows and highlights etc. If you do the same with any other Red, it will look like video as well. There are plenty of bad cinematographers who produced material shot on Red that becomes "examples" to all of those who are deciding between Arri and Red. Of course Arri gets chosen more often when there are far more examples of bad cinematography among Red shooters than Arri shooters as it's more common that Red exist in the hands of the unexperienced. It's always been more popular with newcomers over getting an Arri.

I don't think the global sensor or anything about Komodo produces a video look, I think it's the choice of lenses, lighting and post-process grading that is key to getting a less video-ish look.
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600 Red Komodo #002397

Many thanks Tim!
    DSMC2 Monstro & Helium packages ready to shoot
    Gates Pro Action DSMC2 Water Housing
    SPL DSMC2 Custom Water Housing
    vincentkardasik.com
    Hossegor, France
    Water Cinematography Reel
    Instagram, Twitter and Vimeo