Thread: RED KOMODO my thought :)

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    No Problem Andi. To Me the Arri looks more blue.

It may naturally have to do with me just watching on an ordinary laptop. The green is especially obvious on the clock as well as the wall beneath it.

The problem, atleast in this case, was that the upper Mid Reds and Blues were elevated in relation to the greens.

To fix that, just bring down the Reds and Blues in relation to the Greens

Its not really like they are miles appart. With a bit of balancing Komodo looks like Alexa or Alexa looks like Komodo. Did not apply any sharpening here, and out of the gate the Alexa looks slightly more crisp, like the Komodo has a stronger olpf.

https://vimeo.com/446472497

The matching could be done more accurate for sure but this was just one node added and no qualifiers after the rec709 conversion trough dxl2 + ipp2 medium soft rec 709 lut provided by red.

I think anyone colonist should be able to get a perfect match within minutes, especially if you shoot a chart.

Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Bjorn,

But you used the Panavision DXL2 lut to do it. That Lut works good some of the time with the Red Cameras but I stop using it because every now and then the colors would bite you in the ass.

BTW,

I still see magenta in the sofa and in her dress in your example in relation to the blue in the Arri example.

Arri Alexa Mini LF

Red komodo

Last edited by rand thompson; 08-10-2020 at 08:03 AM.

Komodo really skews red...and I think it’s because they are trying to combat the “greenish” tiny that has plagued red for so many years. I think they took it too far though. I think Komodo is still based off a helium wafer, which is why the DR is so close in the tests I’ve seen comparing the cams. Helium was not a great sensor IMO, and I think they tried to salvage the sensor tech and repurpose it into Komodo - while making some major tweaks and adjustments to the imaging pipeline. Just speculating of course. Komodo looks to be a solid cam for sure, and RED is surely gonna sell a heck of a lot of them. Kudos to RED for addressing a need and staying “active” in this ever changing market.
    Chris McKechnie
    Director of Photography
    Email - redepicguy@gmail.com
    Reel - https://vimeo.com/314919326

Chris,

Yeah, I can more than understand trying to combat the green issue that was experienced at some times in previous cameras, but even then it was just a Hue problem that I found could be easily fixed in "most" cases.

Arri images always seem to have pronounced and very rich greens to my eyes which is something I actually always thought makes them look more pleasing kind of like how Leica-R lenses render images (i.e. pronounced yellows/greens) . Historically with green tint out of RED cameras (i.e. Helium) maybe this is RED's way of dialing back the green and attempting to make Komodo more neutral as magenta offsets green tint. I noticed a lot of magenta as well recently from Komodo on the comparison between Helium, Gemini, and Komodo on Tim Daust's recent Youtube comparison post as well. It seems to show up in the shadows and highlights on grey/white areas of the image making grey's feel colder/dirtier like there is some underlying blue and whites/highlights have a pinkish purple hue at times.
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKechnie View Post
    Komodo really skews red...and I think it’s because they are trying to combat the “greenish” tiny that has plagued red for so many years. I think they took it too far though. I think Komodo is still based off a helium wafer, which is why the DR is so close in the tests I’ve seen comparing the cams. Helium was not a great sensor IMO, and I think they tried to salvage the sensor tech and repurpose it into Komodo - while making some major tweaks and adjustments to the imaging pipeline. Just speculating of course. Komodo looks to be a solid cam for sure, and RED is surely gonna sell a heck of a lot of them. Kudos to RED for addressing a need and staying “active” in this ever changing market.
    This could simply be the effect of a skin tone balanced OLPF.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris McKechnie View Post
    [...]I think Komodo is still based off a helium wafer, which is why the DR is so close in the tests I’ve seen comparing the cams. Helium was not a great sensor IMO, and I think they tried to salvage the sensor tech and repurpose it into Komodo - while making some major tweaks and adjustments to the imaging pipeline. Just speculating of course.[...]
    Chris, the pixel pitch of the Helium is 3.65 micron and it implements a scanning CMOS sensor readout. Komodo pixel pitch is 4.4 micron and it implements a global shutter readout. Those two facts alone mean that there is absolutely no wafer-level sharing beyond both using silicon as the base wafer material. Of course RED has some fundamental theories that perhaps pervade their design, but the idea that Komodo is a re-branded and tweaked Helium? In the words of a great theoretical physicist, "It's not right. It's not even wrong."
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"