Thread: KOMODO Compression Qualities

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    Sure, give me some time to shoot some new tests here. It's been a crazy few weeks since I got the camera.
    I am just happy to see any little bit I can get! I know everyone has a business to run or work to do. But HQ vs MQ is one of the few things left that I have not been able to compare. (I guess I can find out myself when the production version hits ...)

But I thank you in advance.
    Scarlet-X #2034 "Bea"

I'm a vote for a DSMC2 11/1 compression ratio (we shoot EVERYTHING with the exception of nighttime footage) in that format on our Gemini cams. Totally workable and awesome!

Yeah I would like to see them provide more of a range of compression ratios as well I think. Even if it was just 5 different compression ratios instead of 3 at HQ, MQ, and LQ. Was definitely a bit surprised at the record time available on a 512GB card using MQ.

Haven’t had a chance to pixel peep yet but we shot stuff today at 48FPS. Noticed it went to MQ in 6K. Also had to adjust shutter to 144 degrees to get rid of the flicker we saw on playback.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Torrie View Post
    Haven’t had a chance to pixel peep yet but we shot stuff today at 48FPS. Noticed it went to MQ in 6K. Also had to adjust shutter to 144 degrees to get rid of the flicker we saw on playback.
    Flicker? Like from LED lights?

From any light.

Quote Originally Posted by J. Orlandi View Post
    After playing and pushing the new compression, I would say that MQ is the lowest you'd want to go for anything important. I can noticed quite a bit of compression artifacts in MQ when looking and pushing. HQ is quite nice. [...]
    Well my first side-by-side-by-side test of the three modes did not yield a super-strong result. Pixel-peeping on a 4k monitor, I *think* I can spot a little more noise in LQ vs MQ and HQ. But all look good, and Find Edges doesn't reveal a highly distinct noise pattern difference from one to another . What are you doing to break the compression codecs?
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"