Thread: 36 hours with the Komodo

Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Bignell View Post
    Really?? Even on the reflection off the black car?
    https://imgur.com/a/hBzj6Yu

Love the look, Don't think it's the atmosphere like the lens or film emulsion effect :P
    In the samples shown Juan is also applying a halation emulation/technique in his final grades which is causing that specifically around highlight regions.

If I was a guessing man I'd say this is a variant of the log>linear additive channel blur halation effect you can do in Resolve or something he developed also applied in Resolve. There's several ways to tackle halation and especially now with Fusion integration you can do some even more accurate halation emulation, though a bit chunkier processing-wise.

Whatever the case he's showcasing a fully graded image with a film-like flare to the look he's set.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    In the samples shown Juan is also applying a halation emulation/technique in his final grades which is causing that specifically around highlight regions.

If I was a guessing man I'd say this is a variant of the log>linear additive channel blur halation effect you can do in Resolve or something he developed also applied in Resolve. There's several ways to tackle halation and especially now with Fusion integration you can do some even more accurate halation emulation, though a bit chunkier processing-wise.

Whatever the case he's showcasing a fully graded image with a film-like flare to the look he's set.
    Such a pleasing Halation effect, I've been using glow set to highlights with a reddish/orange tint it's pleasing but not as convincing or pleasing as this effects Juan has done.
    Need to sit down and play with some footage to see if I can replicate this effect.

Thanks Phil!

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Bignell View Post
    Such a pleasing Halation effect, I've been using glow set to highlights with a reddish/orange tint it's pleasing but not as convincing or pleasing as this effects Juan has done.
    Need to sit down and play with some footage to see if I can replicate this effect.

Thanks Phil!
    Halation is an interesting one when it comes to emulation. Many go after the highlight blur method and there's OFX plugins now that accomplish this. I'm a bit more with film VFX studios, which Yedlin also utilizes, as it's more about encroaching on the contrasty edges inwards across a specific range. That method at the moment is still a bit more processing intensive, especially if you utilize a grain scatter method. It's also one of those you either want it or don't want it sort of things when it comes to the level of the film emulation. Similar to gate weave being omitted or not, though certainly more visible.

Juan's a great colorist and he's obviously grading things towards this aesthetic. So big high fives.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I usually use the "glow" effect of Resolve for the halation effect.

Halation is an interesting one when it comes to emulation. Many go after the highlight blur method and there's OFX plugins now that accomplish this. I'm a bit more with film VFX studios, which Yedlin also utilizes, as it's more about encroaching on the contrasty edges inwards across a specific range. That method at the moment is still a bit more processing intensive, especially if you utilize a grain scatter method. It's also one of those you either want it or don't want it sort of things when it comes to the level of the film emulation. Similar to gate weave being omitted or not, though certainly more visible.

Juan's a great colorist and he's obviously grading things towards this aesthetic. So big high fives.

There is definitely a lot of Nuance to recreating the effect.
    Off-topic but I've always loved recreating Halation effects, Grain, lens distortions, Chroma, Gate wobble, Flicker, Dirt/Dust, hairs in the gate, and all these fimmic effects to add subtle nuance to images I capture but It's a lot fo work setting up all these systems.

Why has no one made a Film simulation plugin Similar to Film Convert that goes Beyond just color and grain? In NLE's there is Damage Film/Sepia plugins almost always built-in but they usually require a lot of work to get a subtle effect.
    I'd really like a plugin that helps Emulate many of these filmmic effects more with a click of a button... At least I've not heard of one.

Senior Member Robert L. Mickles's Avatar
    Beautiful! I love the images from this camera.
    Robert L. Mickles
    Cinematographer, Director, Editor | 360 Digital Studios, LLC | http://www.360DigitalStudios.com
    DSMC2 Helium 8K #3949 "Raines",
    KOMODO 6K ST #235 "The Shape",
    Former owner of Scarlet-X #2133 "Cupid".
    'OFF-TIME' Feature Film Coming Soon! http://www.Facebook.com/OFFTIMEMovie
    http://Twitter.com/OFFTIMEmovie