Thread: Angelbird CF fast card over heating

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    even with the blackmagic p4k, the angel bird card does got pretty hot compared to my other CFAST. Could be an issue with just the card. Maybe return for a new one if you can. doesn’t seem like others have had a similar issue.
    always learning,

d.

I have not experienced that with my angelbird OR my prograde cards. its not been as hot here.. most of the time it gets just under 100 degrees at the most but the humidity is horrible
    Tim Daust
    Reelmind Studios
    WEAPON HELIUM 8K S35 #6197 "Wicked"
    DSMC2 GEMINI 5K S35 #15175 "Jade"
    KOMODO 6K #0011 "Tangie"
    @TimDaust @ReelmindStudios

I was 3 hrs into my day the weather was 91 degrees the humidity was a bit high. I went to reformat the card and the option to reformat was not available. I took the card out and it was hot. I pop it back in and then I got the error message. This has not happened to me since however I just would like to know if anyone else has had this issue.

I think I will do that. Thanks

I have the angle bird 256 and it does get hot to the touch but I haven't had it overheat yet or any warnings in camera.

I think I figured it out, I may have been covering the vent on the side of the camera causing it to overheat. That's only explanation I think make sense , since I'm the only person that has had this issue. I ve been using the camera with out any support equipment - still waiting on shipment. I'll circle back again it it happens again.
    Best

Senior Member Christoffer Glans's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Elliot View Post
    I think I figured it out, I may have been covering the vent on the side of the camera causing it to overheat.
    If we can confirm that the cooling system also cools the card, that would be precisely it. But even if we don't get an error message, it's a bit worrisome that some have reported the cards being so hot they produce injuries on the user's or 2nd AC's fingers.
    Many shots that are taken right now seem to be short takes, but imagine longer dialogue scenes for features or short films. Might recommend gloves for handling the cards?
    "Using any digital cinema camera today is like sending your 35mm rolls to a standard lab. -Using a Red is like owning a dark room."
    Red Weapon 6K #00600

It’s been 95 to 105 where I’m at. Cards get super hot, but no errors or overheat issues. Using Angelbird 1TB cards. Definitely have to keep the vents open and unobstructed! This little camera could double as a portable space heater.
    - Jeff Kilgroe
    - Applied Visual Technologies, LLC | RojoMojo
    - Just me and my 8K Monstro VV kicking ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Christoffer Glans View Post
    If they also cool the card, that might definitely be what made the card overheat. But that the cooling system also cools the card need to be confirmed.
    The cooling system isn't directly blowing air over the card, but the card is inserted into the heart of the system that is producing heat, which is all connected to the main heatsink. So the cooling system is definitely contributing to keeping the card cool to some extent. If the camera starts to overheat, so will the card.

The cards do get very hot but they also cool off quickly so it isn't really an issue. The camera actually shows a warning "The Media is above the safe touch temperature, pls use caution." after ejecting a card. That said I have pulled out cards right after recording for 35mins straight and while they were very hot they weren't anywhere near burning me or anything. I have tested recording and filling up 2 512GB cards back to back and it's not really that big of a deal. Once a card is removed it takes like 10 seconds for it to cool off.
    Last edited by andrewhake; 08-18-2020 at 03:49 PM.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

It might be worthwhile using smaller capacity cards, where the NAND modules aren't packed in there quite so tightly. That could help mitigate heat issues a bit. And definitely carry additional cards if this is a possible occurrence.