Thread: Red Komodo Wifi Connection - Infrastructure

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Red Komodo Wifi Connection - Infrastructure 
    I love the app that comes with the Komodo for IOS and AD Hoc works great if you're next to the camera but I can't seem to get Infrastructure Mode to work.

I have the Komodo ST and a iPhone X, I input the SSID and passphrase and hit connect, after that it just says searching and connecting in the status bar without ever connecting. Any help is much appreciated. I've tried two different wifi SSID's, one 2.4G and one 5G.

Ad-Hoc mode works great if you're right next to the camera but once I move about 7 feet away the live feed gets choppy so I wanted to try out infrastructure mode to see if it would be better.

Thanks!
    Tom Scott

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Did you double / triple check the ssid and password name / character case ?
    The keyboard is quite small so it can be tricky if you have a long or complex ssid / password ...

Also does your password or ssid uses some special characters ?

Once the wifi infrastructure says ‘connected’ you may have to wait another 20 seconds before the camera will actually be discoverable and show up in the app...
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram

Hi Mikael, You were exactly right! It was a capitalization error on my part in the password. Works great now. Thank you!

I noticed that Komodo doesn't allow me to connect via Infrastructure (to my home router) when my router uses a "." in the passphrase. The moment I include a "." in the passphrase it will no longer allow me to hit ok. Reported to Red but figured I would post here if anyone else has this issue.

I just received my ST and trying to use the wifi. Where do I find the password and what other info do I need to enter to get wifi control? Ad Hoc shows the Komodo on my iPhone but it's asking for a password.
    Also, is there an ops manual online yet?

Hi Steve, the password for Ad Hoc is the same as the wifi signal name the camera puts out, so mine is KMDST000369. You can change the password later as well.

For Infrastructure mode, which connects to your home router or wifi signal, the SSID is your home router name and then the password would be your normal wifi password that you would input on your normal devices.

AD hoc is great for when you're in the middle of no where and want to connect your phone to the camera and you're close to the camera. Infrastructure is great if you're in a building with wifi or have a hotspot and need to be further away from the camera but still want to control it or even use your iphone/ipad as a monitor or focus control.

Quote Originally Posted by steve green View Post
    I just received my ST and trying to use the wifi. Where do I find the password and what other info do I need to enter to get wifi control? Ad Hoc shows the Komodo on my iPhone but it's asking for a password.
    Also, is there an ops manual online yet?
    Check in your Komodo ST box there should be a card with a link to the manual.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

Thank you, gentleman! I've got the camera control and image on my phone in both ad-hoc and infrastructure modes......
    Last edited by steve green; 08-21-2020 at 10:10 AM.

Anyone here have any luck connecting to your Komodo through IP address?

I have my Komodo set up in infrastructure mode and connected to my wifi. I am able to connect to the camera no problem from my phone or iPad.

I tested having a friend in another state connect to my camera through IP but can’t figure it out.

I found my IP address in the network setting on my Mac. Is there a different IP I should be using?

Senior Member Mikael Lubtchansky's Avatar
    Hello James

It is a bit advanced than just connecting to infrastructure... But nothing too complex if you or a friends of yours has a bit of router setup knowledge...

- on your router’s setup webpage if possible assign a fixed IP address for your camera in the DHCP settings (optional but easier as the camera will always get the same local IP)

- on your router’s setup webpage again you have to forward incomming TCP ports 9998 (for control) and 9090 (for the live stream) to the camera’s local IP address (assigned previously) on same ports 9998 and 9090.

- then you can connect to the camera from anywhere in the world using the router’s WAN external IP V4 address in the app's MANUAL IP text field. If you do know your dynamic or fixed external address or domain name you can check a website like https://www.whatsmyip.org/

- You can even access multiple cameras behind the same router by forwarding various external ports to different cameras IP addresses on port 9998 and 9090. Access them using YOURWANIP:9901:9001 for example if you forward port 9901 to this camera’s IP port 9998 and 9001 to port 9090 of the camera...

Unfortunately I cannot provide more detailed instructions as each router has a different setup page to set port forwarding but you should be able to find info on how to do it on yours online easily
    foolcat : HTML / PDF visual reports for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for OS X
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for iOS
    foolcontrol : RED camera control for Android
    foolcolor.net staying hungry, staying foolish facebook instagram