1. #1 The Ultimate Guide to Canon K-35 & FD Lenses 
    The Ultimate Guide to Canon K-35 & FD Lenses

By MATTHEW ALLARD ACS

Article
    https://www.newsshooter.com/2020/08/...-35-fd-lenses/

YouTube page with more info
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8Il_l3tu6Q

1hr 24 minute video
    Last edited by rand thompson; 08-18-2020 at 08:51 AM.

I was glad that he mentioned the yellowing some of the lenses get with thorium elements. I started getting some FD lenses with thrift finds and repairs with clean glass to later rehouse and cinevise at some point and I did pay extra to get a 35mm F2 Concave version that had some yellowing. To be honest, even his video showed it, I just don't like the 24mm 1.4 all that much and even my 35mm F2 isn't too special after de-yellowing. I think my wider Rokinons have spoiled me with some modern sharpness and my Sigma 24mm Superwide II looks much sharper than even the Canon 24mm 2.8 New FD that I have.

Now, 50mm and above with some of the surprises among the Canon FD zoom line makes for a real treasure trove of cinema-level imagery. It's funny how there's not a lot of movement to get rehousing and cinevising done for the Canon FD zooms but I'm sure that in time there will be solutions.

Canon K35s and now FDs are the most overrated lenses of all time imho...full of nasty aspherical artifacts in the bokeh (like the 25mm Zeiss Super Speed too).

Especially on full frame where a wide aperture is less needed there are much better alternatives out there...
    TOMMASO ALVISI | tommasoalvisi.com
    Weapon 6K Carbon Fiber #1605 aka qp
    instagram | twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso Alvisi View Post
    Canon K35s and now FDs are the most overrated lenses of all time imho...full of nasty aspherical artifacts in the bokeh (like the 25mm Zeiss Super Speed too).

Especially on full frame where a wide aperture is less needed there are much better alternatives out there...
    Oh my dear friend Tommasino that's what makes them so special!!! through the perfect sensor and imperfect lenses one creates the closest facsimile of celluloid. Now this gentleman above your post mention Rokinons and exposed his lack of visual maturity of which I know you are not a candidate. We can't applaud the films and tv shows that have been proven to look good with this combination of glass and sensor the call them over rated...

all the best always
    sergio Arguello:
    Epic-M 459,Epic-X 751
    RED Rocket™™™

sergioarguello.net

Quote Originally Posted by sergio arguello View Post
    Oh my dear friend Tommasino that's what makes them so special!!! through the perfect sensor and imperfect lenses one creates the closest facsimile of celluloid. Now this gentleman above your post mention Rokinons and exposed his lack of visual maturity of which I know you are not a candidate. We can't applaud the films and tv shows that have been proven to look good with this combination of glass and sensor the call them over rated...

all the best always
    Hey Sergio! Hope all is well on your side!

Nice looking artifacts are other imho...surely not aspherical aberrations like donut rings in bokeh which are very distracting and ruins it making it quite busy in some instances (bkg distance dependent of course).

Hint of lenses with nice looking aberrations:

S35 - Lomo Standard Speeds and Super Speeds, Schneider Xenons (OG), Zeiss Standard Speeds plus Cooke SPs (some excluded for the above reason) and Super Baltars
    FF - Leica -R or Pentax SMC or Olympus OM or Nikon AI/AIS or older Zeiss or Russian M42 glass

My 2c. ;-)
    instagram | twitter

Love my sets, Just got the second half of my rehoused set delivered today by Estern Enterprises. It took them 3 years to complete, As I see it, it was very well worth the wait. https://www.facebook.com/543523042/p...8496902378043/
    Björn Benckert
    Creative Lead & Founder Syndicate Entertainment AB
    +46855524900 www.syndicate.se/axis
    VFX / Flame / Motion capture / Monstro

Great looking set of lenses Bjorn. I didn`t hear about the Canon K-35 and FD lenses until I started contributing to the Super Baltars thread. I realized most of the movies that I liked the "Look" of were shot on either Zeiss or Canon K-35 lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Björn Benckert View Post
    Love my sets, Just got the second half of my rehoused set delivered today by Estern Enterprises. It took them 3 years to complete, As I see it, it was very well worth the wait. https://www.facebook.com/543523042/p...8496902378043/
    Wow those look great! What was the aperture update they did to them?
    - Jamie
    Gemini & Komodo ST Owner // Photographer // Director
    @JWalter1337 // @PamolaCreative

Quote Originally Posted by Tommaso Alvisi View Post
    ...surely not aspherical aberrations like donut rings in bokeh which are very distracting and ruins it making it quite busy in some instances (bkg distance dependent of course).

-)
    I suspect you might be mixing 2 artefacts... onion bokeh- (the consequence of ground Aspheric elements) with the bright edged Bokah produced by the over correction of spherical aberrations?

I agree with you that bright edged Bokah can distract but it can be used creatively and is part of the optical mix that can conjour an era....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    I suspect you might be mixing 2 artefacts... onion bokeh- (the consequence of ground Aspheric elements) with the bright edged Bokah produced by the over correction of spherical aberrations?

I agree with you that bright edged Bokah can distract but it can be used creatively and is part of the optical mix that can conjour an era....
    No confusion...I'm talking about onion bokeh of course which is dreadful imho.

Bright edged bokeh due to the over correction of spherical aberrations is quite common in most fast vintage glass and is not a problem, it can be used creatively and also it goes away usually just by closing the aperture a bit like 1/3rd to 2/3rd of a stop.
    instagram | twitter