Thread: Speedbosters and Red Helium

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 Speedbosters and Red Helium 
    I'm trying to decide between the Red Helium and Gemini. Gemini nets me less crop in higher frame rates and Helium nets me more resolution for reframing and downscaling. I'm hoping I could use the Metabones speedbooster EF to RF to get the best of both worlds with the Helium, does anyone have experience with this? Would this work to reduce crop?

Thank you everyone for your time.

The only speed booster that works for the RED DSMC2 is the ABT speed mount because of the flange distance of the RED DSMC2 housing.
    https://store-abt.de/product/speedmount-mk2-ef-dsmc2/

The metabones speed booster EF - RF can be used for the Komodo - Since it has a native RF mount.

Red Helium, or Gemini - both don’t have an option of RF mount. You can only use native EF, PL, Nikon, Leica mounts, and various global shutter/Nd mounts also. But the list is limited to those ones.

There is (was) a focal reducer mount for DSMC2, but it cost $4k, plus you had to buy a VV OLPF. Sooo, after shipping/taxes/duties, likely >$5k. Better off buying an R5/A7s3/S1H or Komodo+RF-to-EF at that price.

Also RF flange distance is less than half that of EF. So you can only have RF-to-EF (to use EF lenses on RF camera); the other way around (RF lenses on EF camera) is not possible.

EDIT: Bastien linked to the DSMC2 focal reducer I was talking about.

Thank you for the response! :)

Theres a 3D printed file around Reduser if you search. You an print it you just need to buy the glass. From Brian Caldwell.

It replaces the OLPF.

@Andrew: From Brian Caldwell or from RUser James Miller?

Pretty sure James Miller posted a CAD drawing for a DSMC2 OLPF holder that has a slot for the OLPF and shaved down Speedboster Optical element, but I haven't heard of anything from Brian Caldwell. (If true, please link it; I'd def give that a whirl.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    @Andrew: From Brian Caldwell or from RUser James Miller?

Pretty sure James Miller posted a CAD drawing for a DSMC2 OLPF holder that has a slot for the OLPF and shaved down Speedboster Optical element, but I haven't heard of anything from Brian Caldwell. (If true, please link it; I'd def give that a whirl.)
    3D printable ready CAD from James Miller, glass from Caldwell or buy one of his designed adaptors & remove the glas to put in James’s print (same thing, different price).