Thread: Adding film grain.

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Adding film grain. 
    Never added film grain to digital, but seems to be done a lot these day.

Any recommendations? Sites. Programs.

I make my own grain (or noise) from the sensor I use wether Dragon/A7M3... It really blends nicely.

1) Hire a good colorist. Recently had a good experience with a colorist, who went ahead and made custom film grain for us, no extra charge.
    2) For software, I've seen nice stuff from FilmConvert.

Lots of options out there and even I am releasing my profiles shortly. Like a week or two max.
    Phil Holland - Cinematographer - Los Angeles

2X RED Monstro 8K VV Bodies, 1X RED Komodo, and a lot of things to use with them.

Data Sheets and Notes:
    Red Weapon/DSMC2
    Red Dragon

I love a bit of texture in the form of grain but encoding often really fucks it up...I was impressed with the film grain emulation (livegrain i think) that Paul Cameron went with for 21 bridges when I saw a 4K DCP upclose on a great screen/projector .....but watching it streaming on my TV is not the same experience at all.

So my recommend is test the grain approach all the way through the encoding consequence of the channel your content is destined for...

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Holland View Post
    Lots of options out there and even I am releasing my profiles shortly. Like a week or two max.
    Oddly enough when I intitally searched this I found your post from 2013? Detailing the difference between film grain vs dragon grain/noise.

Good stuff!

As you mention there, you had by that point even has many years scanning film.... & grain experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lindsay View Post
    I love a bit of texture in the form of grain but encoding often really fucks it up...I was impressed with the film grain emulation (livegrain i think) that Paul Cameron went with for 21 bridges when I saw a 4K DCP upclose on a great screen/projector .....but watching it streaming on my TV is not the same experience at all.

So my recommend is test the grain approach all the way through the encoding consequence of the channel your content is destined for...
    This is an interesting point I wouldn’t have thought of. Hmm.... good point. Who would even see the grain who is a civilian.

Filmmakers seem to notice though. Maybe because they are watching on HQ settings.

YouTube + FB probably make it a non point to do at all...? I still would but interesting.

Even DCP (jpeg2000) encoding eats that grain. Hope they will soon push the compression to higher bit rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Even DCP (jpeg2000) encoding eats that grain. Hope they will soon push the compression to higher bit rates.
    I suspect you are correct..... I just felt the grain was clearly eaten or blotched up in the amazon prime presentation I watched on my 4K TV..

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Tresch View Post
    Same as my experience with putting a lot of effort into grain in the past. On fast because of the additional distributed detail across the frame it pulls the algorithm to apply detail to areas where in fact there shouldn’t be in low bandwidth settings. So even if it looks right in 4K on high bandwidth screens- it might look bad on a phone in a bus on a 4g connection.

However, I do love the look of this “grain” as it looks like a bit of a protector / dust overlay Flickr & grain that works better in terms of the aforementioned problems. I’d love to ask the DP how he accomplished: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMnZhneqlPI
    -
    benjamin reece
    dragon-x #003196
    bnjmn.org