Thread: RED Apple Workflow Installer V16 (08/25/2020)

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    Brian, I usually don't have any issues with RED footage in FCPX but since updating to 10.4.10 and Apple Workflow V17, I'm getting some lag with the interface when I have R3Ds from 8K Helium in a Library. Usually I just have playback issues on my iMac when using Helium footage and I just make proxies. Interface has never been an issue. But now with a 140 clips in the library, it takes longer to load the project than normal.Selecting several clips creates a lag (spinning ball) for a few seconds. Going from original to proxy lags too. It's just not the smooth experience I am used to. Wondering if you are still having these types of issues or if you solved them?
    Hey Steve,
    Always great to hear your level headed observations. I still have not completely assessed performance with V17 and 10.4.10 as I'm currently finishing a project on another system that is on 10.4.8 (the latest versions were performing so slow that I had to downgrade).

Pretty much all of the issues you mentioned are what I experienced with 10.4.9. I still kind of noticed more spinning beach balls on my laptop system with V17 and 10.4.10.
    The R3Ds at least play now and don't stall the software but everything just seems to make for a spinning beach ball moment that eventually makes me force quit.
    I even noticed the lag issues on non RED projects with footage just using ProRes proxies.

I think Apple has been doing a lot of work under the hood (obviously with Metal but also perhaps more with the step to Apple Silicon) and it seems to be adversely effecting performance.
    It almost reminds me of the many headaches people had going into Catalina (dubbed by some as the Windows Vista of OS X releases).
    Perhaps despite changing the foundational code like METAL they may still need to optimize, not sure.

As much as I like Apple they seem to have an ass backwards way of implementing changes and not coordinating with 3rd parties (or perhaps themselves) when
    doing so and I wonder if it's been biting them in the ass lately.

For now, I'm sticking to 10.4.8 as it was solid and it actually allows me to get work done.
    I'm not sure how much of the issues is Apple, RED, or both but something clearly needs to get worked out on the latest FCP X versions.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA
    If you love comic books please support the GoFundMe for
    Hy Eisman: A Life in Comics documentary

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Not sure what you are on about I don't think I had a single issue moving to Catalina with any of the software I use and that list is quite extensive. Any issues I might have had were entirely due to third party developers not providing proper updates for years. So many people using Mickey Mouse audio plugins that haven't been properly updated for decades and complain about an OS release. 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 with the v016 workflow from Red making working with R3Ds 1000x easier. There are hundreds of variables that could cause a particular setup to not be performing well. Blindly blaming it on something you have zero knowledge of is truly bizarre. Apple coordinates with countless 3rd party developers directly and has dedicated teams to do so. If there are issues they should definitely be reported to both developers involved but Apple not only works directly with many developers they often fix many problems for them.

A 2014 MBP with Nvidia GPU is hardly going to be the standard test setup for software released in 2020 that relies on Metal. It's a shame Nvidia refused to write proper drivers for macOS that support Metal properly (and made a whole dog and pony show out of the whole situation), but that is the decision they made so here we are. It would be like if Nvidia refused to support DirectX on Windows and only released Cuda/Optix drivers. Major parts of the OS rely on Metal so not having properly functioning drivers that support it is always going to be a non starter.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

I'm having issues with FCPX 10.4.10 and the RED V16 and now V17.

I'm using A 2019 Mac Pro w/ 96GB Ram and the Radeon Duo Cards 4TB 16 Core

The issue I'm having with R3D and V16 and now V17 is that when I go to the button "modify the red raw settings" in FCPX the clip goes black and the clip goes black in the timeline and the only way to fix this is close FCPX and reopen it... but I cant adjust any of the settings without it going black has anyone else had this issue? V17 seems more stable than V16 in other issues I was having but this issue is unresolved.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewhake View Post
    Not sure what you are on about I don't think I had a single issue moving to Catalina with any of the software I use and that list is quite extensive. Any issues I might have had were entirely due to third party developers not providing proper updates for years. So many people using Mickey Mouse audio plugins that haven't been properly updated for decades and complain about an OS release. 10.4.9 and 10.4.10 with the v016 workflow from Red making working with R3Ds 1000x easier. There are hundreds of variables that could cause a particular setup to not be performing well. Blindly blaming it on something you have zero knowledge of is truly bizarre. Apple coordinates with countless 3rd party developers directly and has dedicated teams to do so. If there are issues they should definitely be reported to both developers involved but Apple not only works directly with many developers they often fix many problems for them.

A 2014 MBP with Nvidia GPU is hardly going to be the standard test setup for software released in 2020 that relies on Metal. It's a shame Nvidia refused to write proper drivers for macOS that support Metal properly (and made a whole dog and pony show out of the whole situation), but that is the decision they made so here we are. It would be like if Nvidia refused to support DirectX on Windows and only released Cuda/Optix drivers. Major parts of the OS rely on Metal so not having properly functioning drivers that support it is always going to be a non starter.
    Andrew-

Please don't misread these posts as hostile to Apple, RED, or anyone.
    My agenda is to communicate problems I'm experiencing with other users that might have similar issues.
    Hopefully it helps RED, Apple, and/or whoever to fix the issues that may exist.
    TBH, some of what I wrote was definitely said in frustration but my bottom line is the see the issues fixed not to point fingers.

Others are indeed having problems as stated in this thread.
    It happens.

In the past I have heard from developers getting frustrated with Apple making unexpected changes to the
    OS that breaks software thus the criticism on how they might do things. Catalina has definitely had it's issues and quirks
    and I don't mean the dropping of 32bit apps (that actually was planned well in advance).
    I did not make a statement saying that was the problem.

Despite the age of the 750M in the 2014 MBP it is fully Metal supported.
    I also had similar issues with the AMD 5700XT, a newer card, which was also detailed earlier.
    The other issues with Nvidia and Apple is another matter I'm pretty much done with.

For now I'm back working in 10.4.8.

If anyone else is experiencing these issues this thread is a good place to share it but
    it's also good to fill the "Provide Final Cut Pro Feedback" form and communicate the problems to Apple.
    From past experience Apple does read them and will sometimes have a tech work with you via email.
    Hopefully we all can do what we can to get these issues dealt with soon.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan_Cole View Post
    I'm having issues with FCPX 10.4.10 and the RED V16 and now V17.

I'm using A 2019 Mac Pro w/ 96GB Ram and the Radeon Duo Cards 4TB 16 Core

The issue I'm having with R3D and V16 and now V17 is that when I go to the button "modify the red raw settings" in FCPX the clip goes black and the clip goes black in the timeline and the only way to fix this is close FCPX and reopen it... but I cant adjust any of the settings without it going black has anyone else had this issue? V17 seems more stable than V16 in other issues I was having but this issue is unresolved.
    Hey Ethan- Interesting. I had issues with RED footage being blank in the Browser but have not seen previously visible footage going blank.
    If the issue is reproducible and you can take a screen capture, it might be good to send feedback to Apple via a feedback form.

I'm quite sure RED is keeping an eye on this thread.

Brian Timmons
    BRITIM/MEDIA

www.britim-media.com
    IMDB

I don't have the same problem but I have had material going black recently. (2019 iMac Pro 10.4.9 / V.17)

It occured when I was trying to relink original R3D files from (in-camera) ProRes proxies. It became very clear that the divided .mov clips were the problem.
    Only the first section would ever relink and it was impossible to manually guide the 'relink' to the missing files. They became black.
    Solution was to import the R3D into the project and manually replace the ProRes clip. Not much fun.

I will avoid shooting FAT32 proxies next time, and shoot UDF instead, or better still just stick with the R3D.

Are we actually going to get get an update to the R3D popup UI to give us access to all of the latest IPP2 features like we get in other tools? Being able to adjust chroma noise and flashing pixel settings directly would be very nice.
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

When I get this my footage is almost impossible to edit what causes this. https://ibb.co/KsHBTZJ This is on latest catalina and latest FCPX and latest RED FCPX
    Monstro 8K VV