Thread: How do you sync music videos in slow mo if dsmc1 epic dragon doesn’t record audio

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 How do you sync music videos in slow mo if dsmc1 epic dragon doesn’t record audio 
    Not sure if it’s the right sub but my epic dragon dsmc1 doesn’t record audio when non in sync speed
    How do I go about syncing my audio to slow motion clips without having to match them manually?

I've always had to roll sound and slate. Pretty much the only way to do it if camera isn't recording audio, as far as I know. Good thing is, you don't need sound dept, just a phone or small recorder to record the slate and song playback.
    Epic-X Dragon #8014

It usually is assumed that by default when it is off speed, then you're M.O.S.
    http://IronFilm.co.nz/Sound/ (Sound Recordist based in Auckland, NZ. Happy to travel too)
    https://www.youtube.com/c/SoundSpeeding

You mean set sound/dialogue or the music track being put over the video? Those details change the answer completely.

Speaking broadly, if it's the music track, it'd have nothing to be synced to anyway, so would have to be done manually regardless. If you're planning on slowing-down externally captured dialogue/audio to match the motion, you'd usually use a clap board, and match the audio clap to the visual clap (of the MOS).

If you're talking about syncing slow-mo lips to regular speed music, you have to play the track back on set by a factor of your slow-mo and have the talent sing at that speed. SO, for example, if you're shooting at 48fps, that'd be 1/2x speed when played back at 24fps, so you'd have to play the music 2x fast and have the talent sing at that 2x speed (then the slowed video lips will match the music playing at 1x.)

Conversely, you can set the timebase of the project to 48 or 60fps (60 is the max, I think...) and then you can record audio and conform to a 24~30fps in post for the slow-down *with* audio (you just won't be able to review properly on set as it'll playback at realtime).

OR are you talking about something else completely, and I'm not understanding? Lol. (You're in Toronto, so feel free to DM your number if that's easier.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    You mean set sound/dialogue or the music track being put over the video? Those details change the answer completely.

Speaking broadly, if it's the music track, it'd have nothing to be synced to anyway, so would have to be done manually regardless. If you're planning on slowing-down externally captured dialogue/audio to match the motion, you'd usually use a clap board, and match the audio clap to the visual clap (of the MOS).

If you're talking about syncing slow-mo lips to regular speed music, you have to play the track back on set by a factor of your slow-mo and have the talent sing at that speed. SO, for example, if you're shooting at 48fps, that'd be 1/2x speed when played back at 24fps, so you'd have to play the music 2x fast and have the talent sing at that 2x speed (then the slowed video lips will match the music playing at 1x.)

Conversely, you can set the timebase of the project to 48 or 60fps (60 is the max, I think...) and then you can record audio and conform to a 24~30fps in post for the slow-down *with* audio (you just won't be able to review properly on set as it'll playback at realtime).

OR are you talking about something else completely, and I'm not understanding? Lol. (You're in Toronto, so feel free to DM your number if that's easier.)
    music track put over the video.

https://newcaribbeancinema.wordpress...n-music-video/
    Article by Barry Green
    For an NTSC/US HVX, using a 24p timebase, for the following frame rates, adjust the song speed to:

12 fps: make song last 1.956x longer by stretching it to 51.1% speed
    18 fps: make song last 1.333x longer by stretching it to 75.0% speed
    20 fps: make song last 1.226x longer by stretching it to 81.6% speed
    22 fps: make song last 1.067x longer by stretching it to 93.7% speed
    26 fps: make song last 0.907x as long as normal; play it at 110.25% speed
    30 fps: make song last 0.800x as long as normal; play it at 125% speed
    32 fps: make song last 0.747x as long as normal; play it at 133.87% speed
    36 fps: make song last 0.672x as long as normal; play it at 148.81% speed
    48 fps: make song last 0.498x as long as normal; play it at 200.80% speed
    60 fps: make song last 0.400x as long as normal; play it at 250.00% speed

anyone have an example of a video shot at 12fps or 18fps on a 24p timebase?

c
    ---------------------------
    Curtis Boggs
    www.cboggs.com

Cinematographer-DP-Colorist
    Epic-W 8k (Spanky)
    Komodo 6k (baby)
    Sigma Cinema zoom set
    Leica-R Cine mod prime set
    Various other strange or vintage lenses

I personally don't have any examples, but in the silent film days, most things were shot 16~18fps... (Like Charlie Chaplin, etc.).