Thread: First 6 Hr in Dubai with the RED Komodo

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 First 6 Hr in Dubai with the RED Komodo 
    Took delivery of the RED Komodo yesterday afternoon, in time to go on a "First Date" with the new baby.

We went down to the Dubai Fountains for the shows that happen every half hour throughout the evenings.

The purpose of the shoot was to see the capabilities of focusing wide open at f1.4, using only the built in monitor off the top of the RED Komodo. Seems to have worked out quite well enough indeed.

This was the first time I've not had any issues with security for shooting around the Dubai Fountains, as all other cameras I've taken in the past "looked too professional".

The thing I like most about the RED Komodo, other than obviously the small size and light weight, are the images you can obtain as a result. I found great ease in capturing life as a "fly on the wall" without being intrusive with such a tiny camera.

It was a great first date. I look forward to many more.

Gear:
    RED Komodo
    FotodioX Pro M to RF Lens Mount Adapter
    Leica-M Summilux f1.4
    Voigtlander Ultra Wide-Heliar 12mm f/5.6 Aspherical II Lens for Leica M
    Canon BP-955

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ydni6scORE

So great Joseph. Beautiful stuff and really nice to see you post here. For those who don't know Joseph he is one of the originals and who taught at Red Camp, who went to Dubai and made a name and place for himself. So proud of you and hopefully we can have another meal wither in Dubai or Abu Dhabi when next I work there.

Great video. What was the stabilization?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hutson View Post
    This was the first time I've not had any issues with security for shooting around the Dubai Fountains, as all other cameras I've taken in the past "looked too professional".
    Isn't it so funny how, even though everybody has a camera in their pocket that they can film with, as soon as someone shows up with "professional" camera gear there's security in place to stop them from doing the same thing.

Makes me wonder what's the point in building these beautiful pieces of architecture around the world if nobody's allowed to enjoy it.

On topic: Great footage, what resolution and framerate were you filming in? I'm still trying to decide if the 4K60 with RED's image is worth upgrading from my GH5s for.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hendricks View Post
    Isn't it so funny how, even though everybody has a camera in their pocket that they can film with, as soon as someone shows up with "professional" camera gear there's security in place to stop them from doing the same thing.

Makes me wonder what's the point in building these beautiful pieces of architecture around the world if nobody's allowed to enjoy it.

On topic: Great footage, what resolution and framerate were you filming in? I'm still trying to decide if the 4K60 with RED's image is worth upgrading from my GH5s for.
    1: Cities make money from selling filming licenses - this whole construction was subsidised by the wealth fund.
    2: You have to draw the line somewhere. You can't have shooters turning up with sticks, lighting, booms etc. disrupting public access and causing potential hazard.
    3: Security personnel are humans and its up to you to play the game within their interpretation.
    4: ANYBODY can take pictures, just don't take an Alexa.

I have no skin in this game, just seemed like a silly comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyons Collister, ASC View Post
    So great Joseph. Beautiful stuff and really nice to see you post here. For those who don't know Joseph he is one of the originals and who taught at Red Camp, who went to Dubai and made a name and place for himself. So proud of you and hopefully we can have another meal wither in Dubai or Abu Dhabi when next I work there.
    Such kind words from a First Class guy. Thanks Peter. Looking forward to seeing you again soon, hopefully not too far off into the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dease View Post
    Great video. What was the stabilization?
    Just handheld. No monitor. No handles. Just body and lens. Minimal stabilization in Davinci Resolve on a handful of shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hendricks View Post

Welcome to Reduser! It's been a source of great knowledge and friendships over the last 12 years for me, and I hope it turns out the same as well for you.

Most everything was shot 6K at 40fps. A few shots I did realtime at 25fps.

I think in today's world, we both recognize one should be able to create great images regardless of the camera. As for me, I especially enjoy the flexibility and ease of working with the R3D codec and the amount of latitude I can push and pull an image for a same day edit, or even an edit 10 years later pulling from the archives.

Perhaps you might find yourself coming to Komodo for the Framerates, and staying for the R3D workflow. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent Rice View Post
    1: Cities make money from selling filming licenses - this whole construction was subsidised by the wealth fund.
    2: You have to draw the line somewhere. You can't have shooters turning up with sticks, lighting, booms etc. disrupting public access and causing potential hazard.
    3: Security personnel are humans and its up to you to play the game within their interpretation.
    4: ANYBODY can take pictures, just don't take an Alexa.

I have no skin in this game, just seemed like a silly comment.
    Yeahp. I find security to be kind and helpful overall. Simply doing their job. And I usually get along pretty great with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hutson View Post
    Just handheld. No monitor. No handles. Just body and lens. Minimal stabilization in Davinci Resolve on a handful of shots.
    How was that experience? I'm very interested in whether it's practical to do this, i know it's not ideal but there are cases where it would be really useful. What kind of resolution is the top display and are there magnification tools in the Beta firmware?

Looks great. Also pleased to see M mounts on there.

Cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Quote Originally Posted by paulcurtis View Post
    How was that experience? I'm very interested in whether it's practical to do this, i know it's not ideal but there are cases where it would be really useful. What kind of resolution is the top display and are there magnification tools in the Beta firmware?

Looks great. Also pleased to see M mounts on there.

Cheers
    Paul
    Not sure the exact spec of the top display of the Komodo.

I donít want to get your hopes up so high that youíre disappointed in the end when you see how small it is, however the results of my focus I was quite pleased with. And this was all done before I turned on any peaking for a focus assist.

For some, the small size will be a point of aggravation while for others itíll for be appreciation.

No magnification tools as of yet, but something is coming soon from my understanding.