Thread: FCPX 10.4.9 Issue

Reply to Thread
  1. #1 FCPX 10.4.9 Issue 
    Hi all, I'm wondering if anyone can help with a new issue I'm having with the latest FCPX update.

Using 10.4.9 for the first time since update today, and when I import my footage the thumbnails/clips remain blank/blue in the browser. Nothing will play, scrub, etc. (see below). If I drag to timeline the issue is the same.

The clips play fine in CineX, and I've installed the updated RED apple workflow files. I'm stumped!
    Attached Images

I had an issue very much like what you describe, where if the clips were imported and played with the baked in IPP2 settings, ie low contrast/soft, they would play and be normal -- but if I open the "modify RED raw settings" in the inspector and changed to RedwidegammaRGB/Log3G10 then went to make changes in the camera LUT settings instead to another value, I had something similar to what you describe where the browser would blank out. It seemed to happen more in longer clips or clips shot at 60fps. I could recover by fiddling with the RED raw settings or worst case restart the program. There seems to be something not quite right here. I have a Mac Pro 2013 so it is AMD graphics. I could always see the clips, and could scrub but they disappeared in the timeline and browser.
    DSMC2 Helium 1402
    DSMC2 Helium 6423

Thanks for the feedback Jon. I've played around with settings today, and tried reinstalling FCPX 10.4.9 but the issue persists.

I tried an import with Premier and that worked fine.

Just now I rolled back to 10.4.8 and the there's no issue at all. I'd appreciate if anyone else could offer a solution (using a 2013 Imac).

One thing you could try is creating a new user on the system and reinstalling FCPX from scratch (new user will eliminate possible old preference files that might be causing an issue). I would also try creating new libraries and everything from scratch. If you are only having an issue with R3Ds you might need to do a reinstall of the Red Apple workflow plugin?
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

Thanks Andrew.

I tried creating a new user + reinstalling FCPX, but the issue remains on the new user account.

I've tried creating new libraries etc from scratch, but the issue remains.

Two things I have noticed that might be relevant: 1. On importing footage I'm getting an error message about .rtn files being unsupported, 2. After importing, if I try to quit Final Cut I get a message saying 'canceling background tasks' (despite no indication background tasks are happening), and then it doesn't quit at all. It just hangs.

Is this a new project with 10.4.9?

I have a project recovery procedure here, which may help: http://www.girafxmedia.com/index.php...pro-x-project/

Hi Blair, yes I'm trying to create new projects with new footage.

Today I went and did a factory reset of my mac, and started with a completely clean install of everything - os, fcpx, red apple workflow, etc - and still the problem remains.

I've tested the hard drive and footage on another imac and macbook pro and everything works fine with 10.4.9. So, it's my main computer that seems to be the issue.

Footage from other cameras works fine. FCPX 10.4.8 works fine. The combination or my imac/red footage/fcpx 10.4.9 just doesn't seem to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Kelleher View Post
    Thanks Andrew.

I tried creating a new user + reinstalling FCPX, but the issue remains on the new user account.

I've tried creating new libraries etc from scratch, but the issue remains.

Two things I have noticed that might be relevant: 1. On importing footage I'm getting an error message about .rtn files being unsupported, 2. After importing, if I try to quit Final Cut I get a message saying 'canceling background tasks' (despite no indication background tasks are happening), and then it doesn't quit at all. It just hangs.
    That is normal FCPX can't import the .rtn files that get stored along with R3Ds. If this is only happening with R3Ds I would let Red know.

Oh actually you said 2013 iMac right? Might be a chance the GPU in that machine doesn't support the latest Metal API?
    DSMC2 Gemini
    Komodo ST

At this point it seems like that could be a likely explanation. I'll investigate down that line of thinking and see if that solves it.