Thread: ( Beware ) Komodo Scalper on eBay

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 ( Beware ) Komodo Scalper on eBay 
    It pains me to see a guy on eBay that are willing to stain the good name of the lucky few who got to participate in the ST Komodo program, by trying to profit on a early release camera.
    This guy took up a beta program spot that I know I would have gladly taken as most of you would have as well.

Or I'm I just being unreasonable? Because this feels like such a betrayal of what the RED Family stands for.
    Last edited by Andrew Kommers; 09-03-2020 at 08:28 PM.

There's a pandemic going on. I almost sold mine in a similar fashion. Right now folks are having a hard time getting work in many places and if you can make money why would you not? Don't take it so personally. It's just a product and if someone wants to spend the money to get it....whatever. It doesn't impact you. Its not some sacred item.

This guy could be having trouble feeding his family. You have no idea whats going on with people right now. Its not really fair to call him out like that on here in this fashion. Red is just a company.
    Documentary Cinematographer - NYC Based

The guy even says covid has messed up his plans. You never know what people are going through. 12k is a bit much tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kommers View Post
    It pains me to see beta users like ( spar1679 ) on eBay that are willing to stain the good name of the lucky few who got to participate in the ST Komodo program, by trying to profit on a early release camera.
    This guy took up a beta program spot that I know I would have gladly taken as most of you would have as well.

Or I'm I just being unreasonable? Because this feels like such a betrayal of what the RED Family stands for.

Ebay User ( spar1679 )

( https://www.ebay.com/itm/Red-Komodo-...sAAOSwMZpfUYBo )
    You have (apparently) one post on this forum. What "family" are you talking about?

If people want to buy a beta camera at wildly inflated prices, let them. It hurts no one but the back pocket of the person willing to pay big money for a cheap camera. The market will (as always) decide these things.

Agreed, you never know someones circumstances however, I only take issue with the fact this person is trying to take advantage of someone during this time of limited cameras., Just because he can. That practice is scalping and it's wrong. You see it each year on eBay with apple phones and now with beta cameras programs lol
    I personally would expect someone to markup a rare model if the need to off-load came up. But listing it for nearly double is nuts in my opinion.

I don't see someone frivolously over-paying for an ST unit when a cheaper production model will be available in a couple of months as someone who is being "taken advantage of". It's not the same as the scalpers who hoarded hand sanitizer and medical supplies at the start of the pandemic to sell on eBay. Those people were legitimately profiting off the needs of others. This is not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kommers View Post
    Agreed, you never know someones circumstances however, I only take issue with the fact this person is trying to take advantage of someone during this time of limited cameras., Just because he can. That practice is scalping and it's wrong. You see it each year on eBay with apple phones and now with beta cameras programs lol
    I personally would expect someone to markup a rare model if the need to off-load came up. But listing it for nearly double is nuts in my opinion.
    1) This is a camera, not food, medical supplies or toilet paper in March. I do not consider selling a superfluous item, like a cinema camera, scalping. This is no different than the guys that buy new iPhones and try to sell them for crazy prices the first week or two to people who missed the pre-order and just can’t wait that extra week or two for the next batch. If this guy had cornered the market on an ACTUAL necessity and was trying to excessively profit off of others need, desperation and suffering, then he needs his nuts kicked up through his skull. But he’s not. He is just way, way too optimistic/hopeful(crazy?), IMO.

2) These cameras aren’t THAT rare. From everything I’ve read on here following this since last summer, they took orders from everyone that wanted one that “applied” in time. And they made enough(or are making extras) for (select) dealers to sell. Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but there were probably (at least) a few hundred ST’s made, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    1) Someone correct me if I’m wrong, but there were probably (at least) a few hundred ST’s made, correct?
    From serial numbers, likely between 750-1000 Stormtroopers... the Emperor would be proud.

I get what Andrew is thinking. There are some folks that take an opportunity or 'goodwill gesture' and does something other than what it was intended for. Unfortunately in a world that we live in, there will be people that have to or need to do this.

Whether or not the seller is doing it out of NEED or out of GREED is for them to know or care about. Still, for someone that bought into a beta program and then sells it for profit for more than what they paid, well, not exactly as honourable as someone simply recouping their money and passing "the gift" to someone else. Just my opinion of coarse. Still, it is a victimless act - so if he sells it, they're happy and the buyer is happy. No loser really.
    Last edited by Wil Wong; 09-05-2020 at 04:23 PM.
    Movme inc.
    Scarlet-X, Epic-X, Dragon, Epic-W, Komodo
    MacBook Pro 6 core, FCP-X, OSEE, Dynacore Tiny Batteries, DJI RS2

Thanks, Will.... I was little harsh in my post and I apologize for that. It seems you understood where I was coming from very well. I am a long time lover of RED and user of their cameras for studio and aerial use on FFS & Shotover systems. For me the Komodo is a bit personal since, this will be my first RED camera I will own Personally. Once it's available to be ordered by the average customer like myself.

Thanks everyone for giving me a new perceptive.