Thread: ( Beware ) Komodo Scalper on eBay

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    How is buying a camera 1K over the usual price a goodwill gesture? RED has genuis marketing to make you think they are doing you a favor by taking your money. Hilarious. If someone is dumb enough to spend 12K on that camera, listing removed btw, then that's on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash Worth View Post
    How is buying a camera 1K over the usual price a goodwill gesture? RED has genuis marketing to make you think they are doing you a favor by taking your money. Hilarious. If someone is dumb enough to spend 12K on that camera, listing removed btw, then that's on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Roberts View Post
    From serial numbers, likely between 750-1000 Stormtroopers... the Emperor would be proud.
    If those numbers are somewhat accurate, as a very early buyer (R1 SN 206, and epic and Scarlet-W and Epic-W,) and a Hydrogen buyer I personally would be "a little" annoyed at Red more than this guy since the whole Hydrogen debacle has been a little "hinky". It was originally sold to us on Reduser and while I can't be sure and won't waste time researching the specifics, at the time it sure seemed like it was a Red product, (was it Red that charged our cards?).

Then when it all went south and Hydrogen program was abandoned it was said "no its a separate company" but we will be nice and give you a "discount" on the "production" model - when those numbers (750-1000 units $7.5 million) would suggest more than simply a Beta program - yet the Hydrogen "Beta" and abandoned buyers were not the "chosen" ones.

Again, and to be clear - I said "a little" annoyed - since as a manufacturer I understand that sh.t happens and when it does you can't always make everybody happy.
    Save the Sharks
    RED Komodo soon. Original Manufacturer of RedOne & Epic/Scarlet/Weapon Underwater housings - contact us for sale or rent. RED owner since REDONE SN206. Manufacturer of Eye2Eye direct eye contact interviewing rig. 954.937.6600 (send a text first-having to use spam blocker these days) ... aquavideo1 at yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kommers View Post
    Thanks, Will.... I was little harsh in my post and I apologize for that. It seems you understood where I was coming from very well. I am a long time lover of RED and user of their cameras for studio and aerial use on FFS & Shotover systems. For me the Komodo is a bit personal since, this will be my first RED camera I will own Personally. Once it's available to be ordered by the average customer like myself.

Thanks everyone for giving me a new perceptive.
    If you really want a ST, my rep at Abel text me on Friday and said they were getting some. I know B&H is selling them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kommers View Post
    Thanks, Will.... I was little harsh in my post and I apologize for that. It seems you understood where I was coming from very well. I am a long time lover of RED and user of their cameras for studio and aerial use on FFS & Shotover systems. For me the Komodo is a bit personal since, this will be my first RED camera I will own Personally. Once it's available to be ordered by the average customer like myself.

Thanks everyone for giving me a new perceptive.
    You're a good dude Andrew, no need to apologize. Keep on keeping on!

Salt,

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher A. Bell View Post
    If you really want a ST, my rep at Abel text me on Friday and said they were getting some. I know B&H is selling them, too.
    meet Wound,

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hastings View Post
    I personally would be "a little" annoyed at Red more than this guy since the whole Hydrogen debacle has been a little "hinky".
    What's crazy is RED will probably make more $$ selling $6k Komodos direct than they are selling them at $7k via distribution.

Put it this way. If I or anyone who has a ST saw from someone who posts that they needed one quickly for some project coming up and said that they would be wiling to pay a premium. Do you believe that anyone with a ST would not consider selling the camera. I think that almost all unless you were in the middle of a project would consider selling.
    And if the Ebayer sells for 12K or what ever doesn't that just make all the other ST cameras value go up a little bit?
    Epic Forged Monstro (Camera 101)
    Epic X (Tribal)
    mindsetmedia@mac.com
    https://vimeo.com/user4448312
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/russfill/

Stormtrooper Komodo's will only hold their value until black production model comes out and then the market will be saturated with them. I am expected a very large flood of black production model sales which at that point you can get the same camera (just in black) for $6000 new with a warranty and the latest firmware and features. So used ST I would assume would only be worth at best maybe $5000-5500 used considering the $500 RED warranty transfer would put it at $6k even (which is the price of a brand new black model) or unless someone really wants white... I would think the custom colors (i.e. Orange, Yellow, Bye Bye Blue, etc.) may hold a little more value if you even find one for sale but stormtrooper isn't anything new and that color scheme was available on DSCM2 cams in the past, which didn't really make their resale that much higher on the used market which was evident if you have seen them for sale in the REDuser marketplace. It's a hot camera right now but like any camera it only lasts until the next new toy comes out (i.e. DSMC3).
    DSMC2 GEMINI + STORMTROOPER KOMODO

Or, if you need one you could bypass eBay...
    Attached Images

Is there an estimate date as to when Komodo will be on Red Store ? I loked around the forum but never got to a post about possible release date to the public

Quote Originally Posted by Brian F Kobylarz View Post
    Or, if you need one you could bypass eBay...
    I can confirm on this^. I reached out late yesterday and got a reply this morning saying that they do have some Komodo's ready to be ordered, and they are offering some accessories to go with it.