Thread: Colourlab Ai - The first officially released video graded entirely using A

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Hollywood, USA
    Posts
    6,378
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Truly talented seasoned colorists will see this as another tool to make their lives easier. Half-assed colorists whom have been getting away with poor work for years, will see this as a threat.
    I don't think it's an all or nothing, and I don't think making hasty generalizations helps your argument.

    The process doesn't work with the way I do sessions, but I think their matching tool is interesting, and I appreciate that they mentioned Shotdeck, which is a terrific resource. For me, manual matching is part of how I do what I do, and I'm pretty fast at it. I wouldn't mind it for dailies use or for somebody in an impossibly-short turnaround situation. It's just not for me.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,597
    Marc,

    Well then I will apologize for my previous statement. But I have seen others on other forums completely dismiss it or feel threatened by the program and think it's Subscription model is complete and total B.S. This program still needs the visual discernment skills of a highly seasoned and talented Colorist to get the absolute best results from it. No colorist should at all see it as a replacement for their skills
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,139
    Quote Originally Posted by rand thompson View Post
    Marc,

    Well then I will apologize for my previous statement. But I have seen others on other forums completely dismiss it or feel threatened by the program and it's Subscription model as complete and total B.S. This program still needs the visual discernment skills of a highly seasoned and talented Colorist to get the absolute best results from it. No colorist should at all see it as a replacement for their skills
    And Dado makes it very clear that the intent here is to not represent this as a replacement for a colorist and in fact, quite the opposite. If this frees up the colorist from some tasks they wish could go faster, allowing them to focus more on the things that involve using their skill and touch, then it would indeed be beneficial to the colorist. But even then, some may prefer to not use any automatic tools and just their own eye and decision making, which I completely respect and see as a very valid way to work even if these tools do get better and more refined. Even in the dailies process this kind of tool won't work in every situation. There can be a lot of nuance that goes into that process too. But for some projects this could end up being a huge timesaver for them.

    As for the pricing. As with any tool, you evaluate the value it brings to your toolset. This may have zero value for some, which the $1000/year would be throwing money away. For others, it may be recouped in a day or two. It's all relative.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,597
    Steve,

    I understand what you are saying. That's why I personally like the different subscription models, $1000 for the whole year or $99 a month. Depending maybe on how tight your deadlines are, for one project with a extremely tight turn around time, $99 for just that month is all you will ever need it for. For other times you just stick to your own grading philosophy and not have paid $1000 for that year for it

    Like any tool, some will see it as vital and others will see it as completely unnecessary.
    Last edited by rand thompson; 09-14-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Senior Member Jacek Zakowicz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,424
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
    And Dado makes it very clear that the intent here is to not represent this as a replacement for a colorist and in fact, quite the opposite. If this frees up the colorist from some tasks they wish could go faster, allowing them to focus more on the things that involve using their skill and touch, then it would indeed be beneficial to the colorist. But even then, some may prefer to not use any automatic tools and just their own eye and decision making, which I completely respect and see as a very valid way to work even if these tools do get better and more refined. Even in the dailies process this kind of tool won't work in every situation. There can be a lot of nuance that goes into that process too. But for some projects this could end up being a huge timesaver for them.

    As for the pricing. As with any tool, you evaluate the value it brings to your toolset. This may have zero value for some, which the $1000/year would be throwing money away. For others, it may be recouped in a day or two. It's all relative.
    Steve,
    Can it do anamorphic simulation? That would be awesome!!!
    Jacek Zakowicz, Optitek-dot-org, jacek2@optitek.org
    Professional Broadcast and Digital Cinema Equipment
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member Steve Sherrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,139
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacek Zakowicz View Post
    Steve,
    Can it do anamorphic simulation? That would be awesome!!!
    Not yet but something I could see in the future. I will admit, I tend to lean towards the purist side when it comes to glass, including post filtering. I guess I just like getting these looks optically, in camera.
    Steve Sherrick
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Senior Member Sabyasachi Patra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New Delhi, Bangalore, India
    Posts
    559
    AI/ML is still in its infancy. It will take 3-4 years to become better. There are some lousy guys who simply use ungraded logfiles. For such fellows this kind of software should be a boon. Apart from them, I am sure there would be some early adopters. Whether this software will remain after 3 years or not we don't know. However, I am sure in the next couple of years, NLEs like FCPX and Resolve will improve and include more such tech. With big corporation like Apple behind FCPX, and their increased focus on photo/video in phones, I am sure they would definitely be doing something behind the scenes. I am happy when traditional NLEs are being pushed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,597
    Nofilmschool Article on Colourlab

    https://nofilmschool.com/ai-comes-filmmaking-colourlab
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Senior Member rand thompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    8,597
    IBC Season 2020: Colourlab.Ai Mark Pederson


    By postPerspective


    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member mikeburton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Sacramento CA
    Posts
    1,753
    I'm on the beta currently and can say that I've been enjoying it quite a bit, and I was skeptical at first. If you are a DIT and need to pump out a lot of dailies this tool is going to save you a lot of time. I've run an entire 100 minute feature through it just to simply get a balance on the entire film and I was able to do that in just a few hours. It's integration with Resolve has been fast and seamless going both directions. I've also found it as a fun way to quickly audition different looks. I've been making recommendations to the team and Dado has been quite responsive to ideas and recommendations. As for price, if you are a working colorist this will pay for itself after just a couple days for the year. If you just need to occasionally do a grade, rent it when you need it. I think it's reasonably priced and like Steve mentioned in 2-3 years from now the potential of what this could do to speed up your workflow is huge. Color me impressed.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts