Thread: Buying a RED at 21 years old, which I don't need?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ok, this was over two decades ago and obviously a much different time, but I was 21 when I bought my first Betacam.

Senior Member Karim D. Ghantous's Avatar
    I agree with those who say that you should rent until you have more cash. I wish I had your energy. :-) Just recently I saw a Leica SL body going for a good price on eBay, and I thought, "Hmmmmm." But I knew that it would not be a wise purchase at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    A "real filmmaker" is not judged by their equipment.
    Oh yeah? Tell that to some clients out there. And tell that to crews who have to shoot Alexa because the producer said so.
    Good production values may not be noticed. Bad production values will be.
    Pinterest
    | Flickr | Instagram | 1961 (blog)

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    [...]
    Oh yeah? Tell that to some clients out there. And tell that to crews who have to shoot Alexa because the producer said so.
    I hear you. I rented one of my RED cameras to a filmmaking team that shot on four continents over five years. The film came out great. On the one hand, he's really glad that he shot on RED because he's got some high-value looks that are keeping buyers talking with him. On the other hand, he gets really testy when people describe the film as "beautiful" even though it is. He gets testy because he wants the underlying messages and stories of the film to be what people respond to, not just that it's just f-ing gorgeous. Beauty really is a double-edged sword. As are technical specs.

At the end of the day, if somebody is looking to hire based on camera specs, you have to compete with a pretty large field and hope to get lucky. If they are looking to hire based on a vision (which typically requires leadership and teamwork in addition to technical proficiency and equipment), then you can offer something nobody else can: you!
    Michael Tiemann, Chapel Hill NC

"Dream so big you can share!"

+1 on getting an older model RED on the cheap. You can use it for gigs and learn the camera at the same time.

Cheers - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Karim D. Ghantous View Post
    Hahah yes, that's what I wanted to say...I just try to weigh the financial risk of owning a RED vs the opportunity which I may or may not have due this camera...and of course I want it because I have a RED then.. ;)

As I mentioned earlier I made the same thing with my Drone DJI Inspire 2...which cost me a little bit over 15k and it turned out not too bad for now...
    Sometimes I just carry the big pelicases of the drone to a shoot knowing I don't even need it just to show off lol...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Tiemann View Post
    At the end of the day, if somebody is looking to hire based on camera specs, you have to compete with a pretty large field and hope to get lucky. If they are looking to hire based on a vision (which typically requires leadership and teamwork in addition to technical proficiency and equipment), then you can offer something nobody else can: you!
    I really like that. Well put!

Quote Originally Posted by Blair S. Paulsen View Post
    +1 on getting an older model RED on the cheap. You can use it for gigs and learn the camera at the same time.
    I'm just a little bit afraid of the bad low light quality the older RED's offer...I'm used to GH5S, where I sometimes go up to ISO 3200...I don't do lots of lighting and stuff.
    But the Scarlet turns me on...got to admit.

I see you do a lot of Gimbal work and motorsports. I would suggest waiting for the official Komodo Release and invest in some good glass with the extra budget you were aiming for the gemini package.

Don't get me wrong, the Gemini is fantastic, but from what you do I sense the Komodo would give you a lot of possibilities and its also a Red Camera with Red picture quality. Not the low light king nd doesn't have the frame rates of the Gemini (and probably just a tiny bit lower DR), but in terms of colours and that gorgeous RED look its absolutely up there.
    Sérgio Perez

Weapon Monstro #03294 "Amochai" in Macau

Video Director/Creative/Producer

http://vimeo.com/user1503556

https://www.youtube.com/user/spzprod..._as=subscriber

@sergio yeah that's what I also thought lately...haven't had a close look on the Komodo since a few days, but that thing is incredible too!

Quote Originally Posted by Roman Peherstorfer View Post
    @sergio yeah that's what I also thought lately...haven't had a close look on the Komodo since a few days, but that thing is incredible too!
    I have a Komodo and it is indeed a new breed of red camera. That said you could get a scarlet for almost nothing.
    Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms and Primes
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.