Thread: Buying a RED at 21 years old, which I don't need?

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman Peherstorfer View Post
    I'm just a little bit afraid of the bad low light quality the older RED's offer...I'm used to GH5S, where I sometimes go up to ISO 3200...I don't do lots of lighting and stuff.
    But the Scarlet turns me on...got to admit.
    Unless you want to be a Verite documentary DP I highly suggest you begin learning lighting and "stuff"
    Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by David Dominguez View Post
    Unless you want to be a Verite documentary DP I highly suggest you begin learning lighting and "stuff"
    Good luck!
    David is right. Don't worry about specs. Get a camera and use it. The much maligned Scarlet-X can make fantastic pictures in the right hands. There is a thread where people are posting recent work shot on Scarlet-MX.
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...the-Scarlet-MX

Check out Alex Lubensky's work with Scarlet-MX

Forged CF Helium 8K 00107
    Storm Trooper Komodo 0149
    Scarlet X 02249 (The Gateway Drug)
    RED Pro Zooms
    Zeiss Otus
    Xeen CF
    Director/DP at https://www.butcherbox.com

Living life by the ocean.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Yount View Post
    David is right. Don't worry about specs. Get a camera and use it. The much maligned Scarlet-X can make fantastic pictures in the right hands. There is a thread where people are posting recent work shot on Scarlet-MX.
    http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthr...the-Scarlet-MX

Check out Alex Lubensky's work with Scarlet-MX

that looks amazing to be honest!
    The last one Musicvideo is insane

Owning a drone and camera is very different, as drone is closed system and camera is open in terms of equipment. Its always not enough to have just a camera, maybe only if you can smooth a deal, when you are well established DP, with good connections with producers. Just rent out and have good pictures on social media with different equipment and nice shoots of your work.
    PS Set of optics can easily cost 75-100 K or more and different project may need different optics, and all the guck usually goes with camera. For me somebody more professional, who can strike a good deal with renting house, when just owning the camera, as its always a compromise in terms of other equipment, when just a camera with owner operator.

I had the chance to buy a non-MX RED One early on with the Titanium R and everything but decided to cancel and put that money towards film school to get my Master’s degree in Film Production & Sound Design. I made the first DSLR short films in the school with the, then new, Nikon D90 and later upgraded to the Canon 5D Mark II for future projects. My Nikon D90 shorts were nominated and won an award on the festival circuit and I later made my 22 award winning web series “The Review - A Fatal Frame Fan Film” with the 5D Mark II, Sony RX100 for 60P slow-mo, and a cheap SJ4000 action camera. Had I had it to do over again, I probably would have used a 4K camera like the GH4 or, more likely, a Sony AX100 video camera! I eventually did get a RED One MX to film my first feature with but I got the Sony AX100 to do YouTube videos with and I fell in love with it and almost regret not getting one sooner to use for “The Review”. However, had I not used my 5D Mark II, I wouldn’t have learned all that I did in terms of using different lenses, adjusting ISO, and filming with a larger sensor with more advanced lighting techniques that may not have come across the same with a smaller sensor video camera. That then taught me how to handle a camera like the RED One MX better, even though it took me some time to work out how to get scratch audio out of it and navigating the menus, and I’m a much better filmmaker for it. As you can see, it took me a while to adapt to the RED One MX even though I had a lot of filmmaking experience and education already (I took film as my undergrad as well). Having said that, I did see the reactions people had when they heard we were using a “RED Camera” for our film and I wondered what would have happened if we had gone with our original idea of a Blackmagic URSA 4K. I will say that, if you’re already making money on video jobs, the purchase of a RED camera wouldn’t hurt because of its fame, however, I would urge the option of a used RED DSMC 1 or 2 camera or the new Komodo as a RED One MX is quite a beast in tight locations! Still, with cameras like the Sony A7S III and Blackmagic Pocket 6K out there, you can do some amazing work on cheaper cameras more so than ever before.