Thread: The Sony Venice is not really a full frame camera, unless you pay extra

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Sony Venice is not really a full frame camera, unless you pay extra 
    I feel that for Sony to name their camera the Sony Venice Full Frame camera the full frame part should be part of the base camera set up, like they did with the FX9 and every other company does with their full frame offerings. I would suggest then the base price could be 48k instead of 44k, but even better if they meet us half way at 46k. I understand that to get anamorphic and high speed I would need to purchase additional licenses, but the full frame part should be included in the base package if you are going to call it a full frame camera. That's all.
    I love my job so much that when I die I want to be cremated
    and put into a sandbag so I can still go out on shoots.

Lenny,

I don't think you will find many people who would argue with you. It is a poor marketing choice by Sony to have a full frame licence. The whole licence idea for full frame, anamorphic or high speed I find super annoying. While I understand that Sony is trying to sell a more financially accessible camera its frankly ludicrous to licence something as fundamental as the full frame sensor on the Venice.

I think you just have to ignore the price structure and corporate bullshit and just consider the Venice a $48,000 camera. An incredibly competent camera capable of competing with the best cameras in the world.
    Tom Gleeson

You could also say a RED camera isn't even a camera at all until you buy a separate rear module, battery mount, lens mount, viewfinder/LCD, sidekick, etc etc.

At $48K for the Sony Venice, you get a very working full frame camera.

I get it, Jaime. but then have it start at 48k. or call it a super35mm 4k camera. or if you want to call it a full frame camera, do like the fx9 or c500II and don't try to full me with a low starting price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lenny Manfred View Post
    I get it, Jaime. but then have it start at 48k. or call it a super35mm 4k camera. or if you want to call it a full frame camera, do like the fx9 or c500II and don't try to full me with a low starting price.
    Got to agree... There is at minimum a hint of deception with that name. Conceptually someone could buy this camera and think that the "full frame" features is "built in". (Just conceptually!! I'm sure we ALL research our camera's before purchasing) I personally didn't realize you had to buy a license for full frame capability.

I definitely knew to get in with RED i had to subscribe to their ecosystem of products.

Is the 16:9 crop not 36mm horizontal? I thought the license was for a full full-frame 3:2 sensor (like for anamorphic)... If not, that's definitely shifty. I mean, if it's 36mm horizontal, even that at 4k would be considered full-frame... But if it's a windowed mode s35 (down to 24mmx16mm), that'd be pretty gnarly.

But also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie A View Post
    You could also say a RED camera isn't even a camera at all until you buy a separate rear module, battery mount, lens mount, viewfinder/LCD, sidekick, etc etc.
    LOL. You could definitely argue RED's model is just as deceptive if not worse, since at least a barebones Venice price includes a functional camera (whereas RED's do not).

Quote Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
    LOL. You could definitely argue RED's model is just as deceptive if not worse, since at least a barebones Venice price includes a functional camera (whereas RED's do not).
    How is it worse when you purchase/ RED camera's they are clearly labeled "Brains" ? RED is known for module based systems (AKA More expensive but flexible) and SONY not quite so much. RED charging a arm and a leg for a workable system is not what I consider deceptive.

True, Red now does label it "brain" and stuff like that, but when I bought my first Red, the Red One "football" back in the day, it wasn't as clear ;-)

It's hard to believe this is even a discussion. When you get a quote from a Sony dealer it's very clear what you're buying & what the camera comes with.

They give you the option of saving $4K by keeping it S35, I assume for those people who are upgrading from a F55 and don't need full frame, which is the majority of productions.
    I purchased the full frame license on both my Venice's.

It's excellent value & much cheaper than a Monstro or Ranger, so if you have a business model or demand for a Venice it's a great purchase.

I just think it's bad marketing and after owning almost every professional video camera Sony ever made (BVV-5, D600, F3, F5, F55, F65, FS7, FX9, Venice) I feel I have the right to comment on this.