Thread: Komodo Stolen At Gunpoint (KMDST000609). Over $10,000 Lost.

Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Holy Crap. That’s Bertha Port Park. I used to live on that very block, three houses down. I’ve done a few shoots in my drive way and interior as well as in the empty lot on that block. I like the area myself but it has been seeing it’s share of theft lately. Glad you and your crew are safe.
    justin chin
    infinite machine
    www.infinitemachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Kommers View Post
    Ive thought about getting one of these LTE gps devices, and taking it apart and reinstalling it inside the monitor casing that will be attached to my cameras. Yea there is a monthly fee but for real time tracking.. It would be alot of fun to be able to give the Cops a live dot to go after.

I've been on other shoots where the gear owner had this stashed in the pelicans ... but it would be really cool to see this embedded in the camera package.

https://www.amazon.com/Real-time-Tra...0666064&sr=8-5
    Whoa, that's a fascinating idea. I don't actually think you'd need to break the warranty on these things to make the devices trackable.
    A dummy device that looks integrated on the outside might do the trick, or battery device integrated into the handle. That would be cool.

Or, how about having a bunch of dummy devices on set.
    When I lived in a tough neighborhood in New Haven, I used to walk around with two wallets, just in case.

The mental overhead on all of these options takes away from the work for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Chin View Post
    Holy Crap. That’s Bertha Port Park. I used to live on that very block, three houses down. I’ve done a few shoots in my drive way and interior as well as in the empty lot on that block. I like the area myself but it has been seeing it’s share of theft lately. Glad you and your crew are safe.
    Good eye, Justin!
    When did you live there? Even though I've just visited before, I feel like it has changed a lot in just the last 5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike McEntire View Post
    Will keep an eye out for that gear in my area for sure. Will let you know if I see anything pop up on CL or from word on the street.
    Sorry to hear that happened. With the pandemic I was wondering if it would be easier for this sort of thing to happen and apparently it is.
    Glad to hear you and your crew is safe. I have seen first hand a camera being stolen by a gang and they were not kind to the guy who was trying to keep his gear. 40oz bottle to the head.
    On the lookout for your stuff.
    Thanks Mike.
    I really appreciate the extra eyes.
    Yeah, I think the pandemic makes it less awkward to stay anonymous, wearing masks and all.

Nice to see some creative muscle down in Oceanside! I recently moved to San Diego from LA!

I moved almost 2 years ago. Yeah it has changed quite a bit, though the area has had its ups and downs. Some of the changes are not that different from all around the bay. A newly built house on that block just sold for 1.2 million last year. And that’s a block where I’ve seen at least 8 car fires and a few murders via shootings. I’ve never had an issue but I know it happens and I know some people affected. So I’m glad your story only resulted in loss gear and at least you got your footage. I know it’s a small consolation. Good luck on your project and your insurance process.
    justin chin
    infinite machine
    www.infinitemachine.com

Jesus, what a horrible story. You kind of wish that Red had a secret code they could just blast out through Wi-Fi or something and brick the camera.
    marc wielage, csi colorist/post consultant daVinci Resolve Certified Trainer

Quote Originally Posted by Marc Wielage View Post
    Jesus, what a horrible story. You kind of wish that Red had a secret code they could just blast out through Wi-Fi or something and brick the camera.
    A firmware update could do that i would imagine. Each camera has a unique serial. Next firmware looks for that serial, bricks it saying return to Red?

cheers
    Paul
    -------------------
    insta: @paul.inventome

Senior Member Robert L. Mickles's Avatar
    That's terrible! Glad everyone is OK. Hopefully you recover the camera or get a quick replacement.
    Robert L. Mickles
    Cinematographer, Director, Editor | 360 Digital Studios, LLC | http://www.360DigitalStudios.com
    DSMC2 Helium 8K #3949 "Raines",
    KOMODO 6K ST #235 "The Shape",
    Former owner of Scarlet-X #2133 "Cupid".
    'OFF-TIME' Feature Film Coming Soon! http://www.Facebook.com/OFFTIMEMovie
    http://Twitter.com/OFFTIMEmovie

LEO just busted a theft ring out of SF that operated all over the bay. Your items could possibly be involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8iK...mEjCFizquBlY4w

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...UpoQcp8WEM-pjE